HiFiMan HE4XX
May 9, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #1,202 of 1,381
I swapped out the stock headband of my 4xx for an HE560 headband and it's great. Improved comfort and fit which I feel helps created a better seal on my head and thus improved sound. So my answer to the post title is 'Yes, a headband can improve sound.

Someone had posted this mod a couple of weeks ago and I thought i'd give it a try. I ordered the HiFiMan Headband for V560V2 from Adorama for $40. It's an easy install. You have to stretch the yokes a bit, but it's not difficult. I have the 4xx with the 2.5mm cable connects. The size of the hex screws that hold the headphones to the yolk are 1/16. Make sure you have the right size hex tool the screws are easy to strip.

Not only does the headband look better it's way more comfortable. The 4xx don't feel as heavy on my head. The clamp is tighter than the stock headband, but not bad. I expect it'll loosen up a bit over time. I wore the 4xx560 for about 90 minutes straight today with no fatigue or hotspots on my head. I recommend this upgrade!

IMG_0707.jpg
Never even knew that could be done. Really classes up the look! Might have to try it out as the standard headband does have a bit of a dead weight/crown pressure feel and the clamp isn't all that good. NX4DSD is a nice combo with these cans too!

May 24, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #1,203 of 1,381
Late comer, just join HIFIMAN fan club with my very first planar headphone. Sound fun and playful from initial impression. Still at early stage of auditioning.

20200524_153319.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #1,205 of 1,381
Sorry Guys, I don't want to dampen your fun with the can here. But if you want to know what a really bad headphone sounds like, buy it.

I ordered them on a "bad" whim. It was the most negative headphone experience I've ever had. An iPod 1 from Apple sounds much better than this one, probably even the included headphones with the iPhone. It definitely doesn't get any worse.

It's completely dull, absolutely no mids or highs. Bass extremely muddy. You can't speak of bass sound for the best of intentions. Dull. I thought I'd run it in for 20 hours. No use, I'm afraid. Definitely not a magnetostat worthy of the name.

Then after a month, the right driver stopped working. I was happy to dispose of it. It's a shame to waste the money.

Buy a Massdrop Sennheiser instead, it's a much better investment!

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,206 of 1,381
Sorry Guys, I don't want to dampen your fun with the can here. But if you want to know what a really bad headphone sounds like, buy it.
Sorry to hear your disappointment, have you tried from headphone amp ? As compared to my HD650, HE4XX is more musical and lively. HD650 more detailed, neutral, thus it may sound dull to some.

May 24, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,207 of 1,381
I don't rule out that mine was not 100% when it was delivered. It's possible. But the sound was horrible.

I had it on the ADI and the iFi micro iDSD like you. But all of that didn't work. Dull, dull, impossible sound!

May 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,211 of 1,381
Shoulda tried the HE-400, original. Bliss.
It really is, unfortunately you can't simply change the headband to the new hifimans

May 28, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,213 of 1,381

Users who are viewing this thread

Back