Hifiman HE400se
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #646 of 669
As I can not use the 32Ohm I wanted my 25Ohm sound a little more open.

I removed the thin layer of fabric(on the grill) and used tape as compensation for the fabric on the plastic ring that clicks the grill into place.

soundstage is bigger and the highs are less penatrating

I like it so far. Improvement is 5-10% thats very much for me.

Earlier in the thread it's mentioned how people 3D-print more open grills and are happy about the improvement in SQ, it's logical as the biggest difference of these vs dynamic cans is the openness of sound so why not make it even more open?

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #647 of 669
Earlier in the thread it's mentioned how people 3D-print more open grills and are happy about the improvement in SQ, it's logical as the biggest difference of these vs dynamic cans is the openness of sound so why not make it even more open?
I think the highs will get too loose. They are already pretty open to me

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #648 of 669
I think the highs will get too loose. They are already pretty open to me
A/B testing the grilles removed is easy. Remove the grille and hold it by the edges so your fingers don't block any of it and move it towards/away from the headphone while listening to your preferred test track, pink noise, etc. Do both ears at once for the most accurate results. Should be easy to hear how the sound changes while doing this.

For all of my round cup Hifiman headphones I felt there was a slight benefit removing the grilles, but didn't want them naked so I custom designed and 3d printed grilles that are more open which splits the difference sound-wise between stock grilles. Which was a compromise I was okay with.

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #649 of 669
A/B testing the grilles removed is easy. Remove the grille and hold it by the edges so your fingers don't block any of it and move it towards/away from the headphone while listening to your preferred test track, pink noise, etc. Do both ears at once for the most accurate results. Should be easy to hear how the sound changes while doing this.

For all of my round cup Hifiman headphones I felt there was a slight benefit removing the grilles, but didn't want them naked so I custom designed and 3d printed grilles that are more open which splits the difference sound-wise between stock grilles. Which was a compromise I was okay with.
I am perfectly fine with the improvement I have now. I don’t like dust.

The vocals became even more transparent.

The 32Ohm is a slamming headphone vs 25Ohm. I could see the same tweak being and drastic improvement as it feel more aggressive than 25Ohm

Both have there strength but 25Ohm has the most correct representation. 32 Ohm is very immersive. Both are great but definitely far from each other.

25Ohm needs a very dedicated chain that is not similar to my Susvara. As soon as it gets more technical the headphone is exposed and weakness becomes stronger.

Best bridge so far has been Pink Faun I2S. Musical, simple and textured.

The Pink Faun USB V2 is also textured but not as dirty as I2S which makes drum kicks and snares feel so real!

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #650 of 669

With my HE-X4's I ended up getting a set of honeycomb grills off *-bay but found that putting the OEM thin membrane cloth back inside these new grills made the soundstage slightly more coherent, not to mention the dust control. These X4's, the square magnet cousin of the 400se, punch way above their price and definitely scale up with better amping. I just find I grab them as often as my Edition XS unless I want a really big soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #651 of 669
With my HE-X4's I ended up getting a set of honeycomb grills off *-bay but found that putting the OEM thin membrane cloth back inside these new grills made the soundstage slightly more coherent, not to mention the dust control. These X4's, the square magnet cousin of the 400se, punch way above their price and definitely scale up with better amping. I just find I grab them as often as my Edition XS unless I want a really big soundstage.
I glued panty hose on my 3d printed grilles for dust protection. Does a good job and is acoustically transparent in my testing.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #652 of 669
Hello,
i have an issue. My father noticed that if you press the headphones to your ears, there is a not really squeeking sound but a noise the headphones are making which is audible.
Even when the hp are not connected.
Has anyone the same phenomenon or should i contact the Hifiman support?

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #653 of 669
Hello,
i have an issue. My father noticed that if you press the headphones to your ears, there is a not really squeeking sound but a noise the headphones are making which is audible.
Even when the hp are not connected.
Has anyone the same phenomenon or should i contact the Hifiman support?
Careful they are fully closed headphones and have small flex.

The plastic plana panel covers it so it is actually “closed”

I destroyed the 32Ohm version😅

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #654 of 669

The plastic plana panel covers it so it is actually “closed”

I destroyed the 32Ohm version😅
They are closed? I thought they are open?
So is the noise normal?
Edit: I'm sure they are open, maybe you mean something different.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #655 of 669
They are closed? I thought they are open?
So is the noise normal?
Edit: I'm sure they are open, maybe you mean something different.
They are open back but he meant that a planar diaphragm is a sealed structure (no air can escape around it), so any added air pressure on either side can make the whole driver flex and it can made noise when doing so. This is a very common issue with Audeze headphones, for instance, where the slightest flex will cause them to make a crinkling noise in the worst cases. You should never press a planar headphone against your head while wearing them since it can rupture/tear the driver since the air has no where to go. If you need to compress the ear pads to get the fit right, make sure there is air gap before compressing the pads so the air has somewhere to go.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #656 of 669
They are open back but he meant that a planar diaphragm is a sealed structure (no air can escape around it), so any added air pressure on either side can make the whole driver flex and it can made noise when doing so. This is a very common issue with Audeze headphones, for instance, where the slightest flex will cause them to make a crinkling noise in the worst cases. You should never press a planar headphone against your head while wearing them since it can rupture/tear the driver since the air has no where to go. If you need to compress the ear pads to get the fit right, make sure there is air gap before compressing the pads so the air has somewhere to go.
It bothers no one or hifiman does not emphasize on this issue.

However I heard every headphone from ananda and up does not have this issue

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #659 of 669
@theangelboy
@OCC7N
Thx guys for clarification.
My HE-500 doesn't have this problem.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #660 of 669
The HE-400se are open back. But yeah, never exert a lot of pressure on planar drivers by quickly covering the cups with your hands or taking them off or putting them on quickly. They're super thin and can crinkle beyond the normal flex if the air has nowhere to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back