Hifiman HE400se
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #631 of 670
Further breakin shows the reason why they upgraded the 25Ohm to 32Ohm version.

It has a more modern tuning with better technicalities in the whole spectrum. Give a little more taste of subbass. Generally more transparent.

The 25Ohm has a more simple and focused, organic, textured tuning. This one is not for everyone, but with the right chain this one is very unique.

They are close, but easy to hear the 32Ohm is the “upgrade”

More will like the 32Ohm I assume than the 25Ohm.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #632 of 670
@ardilla

Have you had a weird issue with the planar panels feels loose, making the sound when taking the headphones on and off.

Mostly happens with pressure on the pads.

With the 32Ohm version I had rattle noise in the right panel, Took off the pad and screwed the screws tighter. The rattle dissapeard however the "loose" feel of panels is on both the Left side on 25Ohm and the right side on 32.

I noticed this with very deep bass music. With time the headphone can not hold that much of low frequencies I assume.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #633 of 670
Has anyone performed any mods to their HE400se? I added some sound deadening foam, the kind that you can use on PC to filter out fan noise to the external side of the cups. I added a 2mm thin strip around the periphery of the cup and it seems help reduce the bass rattle and boominess i have heard sometimes on mine before the mod. Since the mod the bass seems to have tightened up and there is no rattle or boominess in bass heavy tracks.
Can you explain how you did this?

I just noticed I have this problem on my 32Ohm.

I am wondering if the grill upgrade will help the bass not rattle

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #634 of 670
Which are better? 25 Ohm or 32 Ohm?
I have to say 32Ohm now!

I can keep turning the volume up it just gets sweeter. I have now decided to go balanced cable because I am almost at 70% on SE/Unbalanced.

We are talking about a 15W/25 headphone amp so. Good chain and better amp this headphone will scale up!

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #635 of 670
@ardilla

Have you had a weird issue with the planar panels feels loose, making the sound when taking the headphones on and off.

Mostly happens with pressure on the pads.

With the 32Ohm version I had rattle noise in the right panel, Took off the pad and screwed the screws tighter. The rattle dissapeard however the "loose" feel of panels is on both the Left side on 25Ohm and the right side on 32.

I noticed this with very deep bass music. With time the headphone can not hold that much of low frequencies I assume.

Hmm. You probably know this but one should always be careful with applying pressure to the headphones with planar dynamics and estats. They often aren't truly open, so the air has nowhere to go.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #636 of 670
Hmm. You probably know this but one should always be careful with applying pressure to the headphones with planar dynamics and estats. They often aren't truly open, so the air has nowhere to go.
I actually did not know this til I saw it inside

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #637 of 670
I actually did not know this til I saw it inside

Audeze is/used to be the worst - they claim to have gotten better. Once I forgot about being careful when adjusting the LCD-X and the driver tore up and went dead. That was an expensive lesson.

Even though headphones are open back, many planars and estats are actually sealed. There's no way for the air to pass. Fully open headphones like the HD800S or hd600 e.g. are different. They're truly open.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #638 of 670
Audeze is/used to be the worst - they claim to have gotten better. Once I forgot about being careful when adjusting the LCD-X and the driver tore up and went dead. That was an expensive lesson.

Even though headphones are open back, many planars and estats are actually sealed. There's no way for the air to pass. Fully open headphones like the HD800S or hd600 e.g. are different. They're truly open.
I am so happy I did not do this on Susvara.

I will order another 32Ohm because I love it so much

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #639 of 670
I am so happy I did not do this on Susvara.

I will order another 32Ohm because I love it so much

So you like the non stealth 32 ohm better?

BTW, this happens really with Hifiman than Audeze. Hifiman's are also not really dependant on a good seal to sound good. Better if you wear glasses 😎

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #640 of 670
It says stealthmagnet.

Both are. 25/32

The 32Ohm is addictive the planar problem started at very loud listening with real good lowends.

I will buy one more and mod the grills on the broken one and change it on the new model😅

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #641 of 670
You meant glasses so there is some air intake?

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #643 of 670
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #644 of 670
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #645 of 670
As I can not use the 32Ohm I wanted my 25Ohm sound a little more open.

I removed the thin layer of fabric(on the grill) and used tape as compensation for the fabric on the plastic ring that clicks the grill into place.

B996EDBC-55C2-4168-850C-25FD19B74026.jpeg

soundstage is bigger and the highs are less penatrating

I like it so far. Improvement is 5-10% thats very much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back