Hifiman HE400se
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #361 of 664
Also own a HE400i (2020), kinda curious about more natural treble on HE400SE.
But i only have BTR5 to run my Headphone, i ended taking HE400i (2020) who only require around 70% of power that required by HE400SE

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #362 of 664
Also own a HE400i (2020), kinda curious about more natural treble on HE400SE.
But i only have BTR5 to run my Headphone, i ended taking HE400i (2020) who only require around 70% of power that required by HE400SE
400SE is definitely better at the treble.
Balanced from BTR5 should be OK.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #363 of 664
HE400i (2020) Treble is not that sibilant or that harsh. Its just reminds you every now and then that is not smooth.
Resolution wise, its better than my ATH-M40x which in terms of resolution is outperformed by $50~100 iems

Kinda wanting audition and do a/b comparison on the 2020 and SE.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #365 of 664
I've just received my HE400SE. Honestly, I'm blown away with how far budget headphones have come in the last few years.

I have been using Sennheiser HD599's for a while. At the time they were the best I could afford, I did consider Beyerdynamic DT770's, but I find the treble response too harsh. I used to be happy with the HD599, but they fall apart with busy tracks and sound hard. They have that typical veiled Senn sound too, which becomes boring after a while.

Putting on the HE400SE has been like having my ears professionally cleaned. I know they aren't the best. But for the asking price, pretty hard to beat I think.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #366 of 664
I've just received my HE400SE. Honestly, I'm blown away with how far budget headphones have come in the last few years.

I have been using Sennheiser HD599's for a while. At the time they were the best I could afford, I did consider Beyerdynamic DT770's, but I find the treble response too harsh. I used to be happy with the HD599, but they fall apart with busy tracks and sound hard. They have that typical veiled Senn sound too, which becomes boring after a while.

Putting on the HE400SE has been like having my ears professionally cleaned. I know they aren't the best. But for the asking price, pretty hard to beat I think.
You absolutely nailed it, Nate. This was my EXACT experience coming to the HE-400se from more consumer-oriented sound signatures, such as the Meze 99 Classics, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and wireless cans like the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 and Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless.

I also own the Sennheiser HD 560s, which are very neutral and resolving. But they're pretty boring compared to the HE-400se. The HiFiMan's aren't colored, but there's just something more energetic, yet still balanced, in their sound signature. Fantastic cans for the money that pair beautifully with the iFi hip-dac DAC/amp.

Enjoy!

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #367 of 664
You absolutely nailed it, Nate. This was my EXACT experience coming to the HE-400se from more consumer-oriented sound signatures, such as the Meze 99 Classics, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and wireless cans like the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 and Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless.

I also own the Sennheiser HD 560s, which are very neutral and resolving. But they're pretty boring compared to the HE-400se. The HiFiMan's aren't colored, but there's just something more energetic, yet still balanced, in their sound signature. Fantastic cans for the money that pair beautifully with the iFi hip-dac DAC/amp.

Enjoy!
Thank you! I agree, I feel like what they've done is tuned them to be musical. It's something that a lot of audiophile or hi-fi oriented manufacturers seem to have forgotten. I don't want to analyse my music, I want to experience it! Glad to hear they pair well with the hip-dac, these will be paired with a Zen Dac v2 in the coming weeks.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #368 of 664
I'm blown away at this $150 gem. it's inoffensive, yet fun, and I don't think anyone can really "hate" on this headphone.

Here are some interesting measurements i took with with miniDSP EARS. (compensated. it sounds a lot warmer than it looks here but otherwise looks about right)
I was curious if the grill changes the sound. doesn't look like it despite how thick it is, and I didn't hear much of a difference either.
Capture2.JPG

for those looking into velour pads, this is the measurement I got for brainwavz XL velour. I slightly prefer the stock sound, but also the stock ones are more wedge shaped so they angle the driver into your ears better.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #369 of 664
the improved, rubber one that HiFiMan started to ship with this outstanding headphone
Speaking of "improved" cable: has anyone checked the electrical structure of this newer cable? Does it still have 4 separate wires for its whole length all the way to the amp plug, like all their stiffer cables? Having 4 separate wires is essential to minimize crosstalk and avoid crushing the soundstage. The 3-wire cable that comes stock with some Drop headphones or with the old Verum 1 is a disaster that turns the soundstage into a tunnel. I'd rather have a stiff cable than a crushed soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #370 of 664
I have a pair of HE400S driven by a Schiit Asgard 3 which drives it nicely in the higher power mode. So nicely in fact that I can't find much to complain about. BUT I am curious... always a but isn't there =^)

So we know the HE400SE uses a double side ferrite magnet structure. OK that's better...but do we know for sure yet that is also uses the NEO ultra-nano diaphragm? That would also be better, and yep I'd be inclined to be tempted maybe.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #371 of 664
Getting back into headfi after a 3 year hiatus. Don't ask... 😄

Anyhoo, I had to start from scratch again. So I've been living with the trusty hd600 over the last year. Fancied a change and a return to planet planar so I checked out what was new. I used to own the HEX V2 and thought they were brilliant so I was immediately drawn to the Ananda,,, then I started seeing the rave reviews for the HE400se. And that they were better than the HE400i (which I've also owned and thought were very good also). And! The new variation was only 150 quid...

So it was a no brainer. It's rare Hifiman have let me down. I'm so pleased I bought these, very impressive for the price. The imaging and separation is exemplary for this price point. The soundstage goes very wide when the music calls for it. Yes, they don't quite have the HD600 rich natural mids for vocals etc. But not many headphones do. The treble really extends without ever sounding harsh, and the bass goes very deep when called for. They have a fun sound signature that is a mix of warm and bright to my ears. A relaxing but very dynamic headphone that you could wear all day.

I listen to a lot of ambient/electronic music these days and these are very clearly better than the hd600's with this genre in regards to separation, clarity, soundstage and bass (the whole of the bottom end)

Verrrrry good indeed :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #372 of 664
Hifiman newb here. Just received a set of 400se yesterday. A steal at $129. They came with a 1m rubbery cable in a separate padded envelope taped to the box so I haven't even tried the notorious memory wire cable.

Curious about pad rolling. I have a set of Shure 1540 alcantara pads fitted to a set of AKG K240m (600ohm) that are soooo comfortable but I rarely use the headphones. If I pickup the $20 pleather oem pads to harvest the rings is it easy on/easy off or are they glued together? I haven't verified all dimensions but cursory searches seem like Shure pads will work and these have already had the oval stretched out of them onto the big ol'AKG donuts.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #373 of 664
Hifiman newb here. Just received a set of 400se yesterday. A steal at $129. They came with a 1m rubbery cable in a separate padded envelope taped to the box so I haven't even tried the notorious memory wire cable.

Curious about pad rolling. I have a set of Shure 1540 alcantara pads fitted to a set of AKG K240m (600ohm) that are soooo comfortable but I rarely use the headphones. If I pickup the $20 pleather oem pads to harvest the rings is it easy on/easy off or are they glued together? I haven't verified all dimensions but cursory searches seem like Shure pads will work and these have already had the oval stretched out of them onto the big ol'AKG donuts.
You can save a few dollars and get the oem round velour instead of the pleather if you just want the rings (found here) and there are some 3rd party companies that sell the rings, too. Just run a search on amazon/eBay for "Hifiman pad mounting rings". Also, keep in mind that the round velour and round pleather oem pads are the only ones that have easily removable rings, all of their other pad models have glued in rings, so avoid buying those if you are trying to harvest the rings.

As for dimensions, any pads with diameters from 95mm-105mm will fit well. 110mm will also work but they are liable to slip off. I have some Shure 1840 pads and they fit on the mounting ring no problem, so your 1540s should fit. I haven't ever used Shure pads on any of my Hifiman headphones so I have no idea what they will do to the sound, but there's only one way to find out! Happy listening! :o2smile:

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #374 of 664
You can save a few dollars and get the oem round velour instead of the pleather if you just want the rings (found here) and there are some 3rd party companies that sell the rings, too. Just run a search on amazon/eBay for "Hifiman pad mounting rings". Also, keep in mind that the round velour and round pleather oem pads are the only ones that have easily removable rings, all of their other pad models have glued in rings, so avoid buying those if you are trying to harvest the rings.

As for dimensions, any pads with diameters from 95mm-105mm will fit well. 110mm will also work but they are liable to slip off. I have some Shure 1840 pads and they fit on the mounting ring no problem, so your 1540s should fit. I haven't ever used Shure pads on any of my Hifiman headphones so I have no idea what they will do to the sound, but there's only one way to find out! Happy listening! :o2smile:
Even better at less money! I guess I did not google hard enough. I don't know what the 1540 pads will do to the sound but I'm gonna find out!. :relaxed:

edit: just ordered a set of factory rings from the hifiman webstore...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #375 of 664
Can anyone point me in the direction of an online retailer selling compatible balanced cables with a 4.4mm termination for the HE400se? I've just bought an iFI Zen Dac v2 and want to make the most of the balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back