Hifiman HE400se
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #346 of 664
Yeah, looks like a very similar driver to the HE400i ver 2020 - which is not a bad thing for such a notable price drop. If it sounds the same as those then at 150 usd the HE400se is easily the best headphone deal ever. These 4-- series headphones from Hifiman have no real cons (except for a slightly phantomatic center image), everything else (technicality, detail, soundstage) are the best you can get for the price, period. Only Sennheiser fans will probably disagree, because these are certainly not intimate.

I've already owned the HE400i and HE4XX, so I eventually decided to ignore the HE400se and jumped straight to Sundara. Can't wait to hear them.
what is your opinion on hearing the Sundaras as I am thinking of doing the same and skipping the 400se?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #347 of 664
what is your opinion on hearing the Sundaras as I am thinking of doing the same and skipping the 400se?
I don't own either of those, but I have the HE400S, and the Deva. Comparing them together, and from the comparisons I have read of the Sundara, at the very least the Sundara are more refined (but a different tuning). So, it really will come down to your preference in tuning as to whether you would be happy skipping the HE400SE IMO.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #351 of 664
To reply to most questions on this thread. All of those headphones are really hard to drive. I made an entire review below about it. I think that Sundara vs HE 2020i vs He400se is not necessarily the question as far as sonics go. I prefer Sundara too, but honestly, when you drive all of them well, all of them sound close enough. Oddly enough, Sundara may be the easiest to drive of the bunch in actual practice, and to get to sound good with a weaker source.

---

I honestly wanted to close the weekend with a low energy, chill review, but instead, we are starting school in Romania on 15, so I figured we should go with a strong one, about He400SE from HIFIMAN Electronics :)

I really like this headphone, to the level where I am actively using it rather often while sitting at my computer. Great comfort, complimented by the sounds, and one of the best cables makes it easy to recommend for most folks.

If you drive it well, it can have tons of dynamics, impact and be just enjoyable and airy. Needs some serious powah, and I made full comparisons with other headphones as well as a more detailed situation about how much power it needs in real life, to sound good. Check out my full written review here

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/09/hifiman-he400se-planar-headphones-bright-as-the-sun.html

HIFIMAN-HE400i-HE-400-S-HE400S-400S-Planar-Magnetic-Affordable-Headphones-Review-Audiophile-He...jpg

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #352 of 664
To reply to most questions on this thread. All of those headphones are really hard to drive. I made an entire review below about it. I think that Sundara vs HE 2020i vs He400se is not necessarily the question as far as sonics go. I prefer Sundara too, but honestly, when you drive all of them well, all of them sound close enough. Oddly enough, Sundara may be the easiest to drive of the bunch in actual practice, and to get to sound good with a weaker source.

---

I honestly wanted to close the weekend with a low energy, chill review, but instead, we are starting school in Romania on 15, so I figured we should go with a strong one, about He400SE from HIFIMAN Electronics :)

I really like this headphone, to the level where I am actively using it rather often while sitting at my computer. Great comfort, complimented by the sounds, and one of the best cables makes it easy to recommend for most folks.

If you drive it well, it can have tons of dynamics, impact and be just enjoyable and airy. Needs some serious powah, and I made full comparisons with other headphones as well as a more detailed situation about how much power it needs in real life, to sound good. Check out my full written review here

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/09/hifiman-he400se-planar-headphones-bright-as-the-sun.html
Great review! Just ordered it and also got a Topping L30 amp on the way as well. Based on what you're saying, is the L30 adequate enough to bring out the full potential of the HE400SE? According to ASR the L30 ouputs 1.04w @ 33 Ohms from an 2V input. Or would I notice a significant difference with the new Topping L50 which can output 3.2w @ 33 Ohms?

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #353 of 664
Great review! Just ordered it and also got a Topping L30 amp on the way as well. Based on what you're saying, is the L30 adequate enough to bring out the full potential of the HE400SE? According to ASR the L30 ouputs 1.04w @ 33 Ohms from an 2V input. Or would I notice a significant difference with the new Topping L50 which can output 3.2w @ 33 Ohms?

Hiii, given how poiwer hungry HE400SE is, I would play it safe and go L50

They need all you can give them to sound good!

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #354 of 664
I'm coming from a ZMF Eikon and ZMF Pendant to owning the He400se as my only can. I sold off my gear and downsized to this can in favor of a 2.1 stereo / home theatre set up.

I previously had the Ananda, so i had a feeling i was going to like the sound sig, which I do. I do miss the added detail and resolution that some of the more expensive cans in my inventory had provided, however this can does really sound good for $150. Great value.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #356 of 664
If you're looking for some fun with a headphone, HE400SE from HIFIMAN Electronics is a really nice one~

Similar sound to Sundara, half the dollah, but really good ergonomics!

Please tell me you don't dislike the cable, I really enjoy it...

More info in the video`~

You LIKE the stock cable, George? Did you get the thin, silver one that looks like Christmas tree tinsel or the improved, rubber one that HiFiMan started to ship with this outstanding headphone?

The original, silver, thin cable is AWFUL. Cheap and perhaps the most microphonic cable I've ever used. I bought aftermarket balanced cables within a week.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #357 of 664
You LIKE the stock cable, George? Did you get the thin, silver one that looks like Christmas tree tinsel or the improved, rubber one that HiFiMan started to ship with this outstanding headphone?

The original, silver, thin cable is AWFUL. Cheap and perhaps the most microphonic cable I've ever used. I bought aftermarket balanced cables within a week.

Somehow, I come from Sundara's really solid but extremely springy cable, along with 2020i's fabric covered cable that had an angled plug, which I didn't fanboy much, to this one which actually is ok for me, especially while sitting at my PC.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #358 of 664
Has anyone performed any mods to their HE400se? I added some sound deadening foam, the kind that you can use on PC to filter out fan noise to the external side of the cups. I added a 2mm thin strip around the periphery of the cup and it seems help reduce the bass rattle and boominess i have heard sometimes on mine before the mod. Since the mod the bass seems to have tightened up and there is no rattle or boominess in bass heavy tracks.

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #359 of 664
Hifiman HE400SE : My Impressions

Build Quality : Quite good at this price point.

Round Pads, not for large ears.

2 Cables, one is good janky silver, and one is cloth, typical.

Many moons ago i owned my first Planars. The Hifiman Blue HE400s. These taught me how to understand what sizzly treble, sucked out mids, and impactful fun bass sounded like inside a set of headphones.
I owned them 2x, as i really wanted to like them, and did, but that sizzly treble and the fact that they feel like the weight of barbells on your head convinced me 2x that we would be better off parted.

As time went on, i kept buying the next and next and next reiteration of Fang's "new" 400series, and gave up because i just didnt like the way they sounded.

Recently i read (Z reviews) reveiw of the Latest edition 400's with the Stealth SE magnets as their calling card and now i've give you my impressions of their sound.

The best way i can get right to it, is to remind you of the original silver "300" that came out some years ago. (not the Drop version).
Remember that one?
Audiophiliac: loved it. I liked it, but, the FR on both ends was just too flat for my tastes. I remember thinking....."If they put some bass and treble into this model and keep the price low we have discovered a really good sounding headphone value".
Well, im happy to report that the SE 400 sounds as if they took the smooth full-toned 300 and created a low cost fine sounding set of "SE" headphones.
For the price, it offers a lot of audiophile sound.
Its a smooth linear sounding gear, that does not try to be too impactful on the low end while offering good bass response.
Mid are sweet, full, and not aggressive or hyped.
Trebles are ........... mostly welcoming with good resolution.
At this price point the SStage, Imaging, and Instrument separation does not disappoint.

Seasoned listeners will smile and appreciate the sonic <$$$$$> value that is designed into the SE400s, and beginning audiophiles can spend less then $200 shipped from Amazon.com and enjoy fine sounding headphones that offer no Frequency thorns, and in fact have been sonically and expertly tuned to be very pleasing and to play well with all genre's of Music.
-
-
400se.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back