Hifiman HE400se
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #421 of 664
Thank you... will be thinking about your offer, very tempted.
Thanks for the detailed insight. I've read some that argue the 400SE have more detail than the 6XX, so I guess is maybe a subjective matter.
which one in your opinion fares batter for filmscores music and maybe classical?
I think the race for superiority in detail between both of these cans is very close. Little to separate -- they're both lovely in detail for the price.

Sorry, I don't listen to film scores or classical.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #422 of 664
I just had a thought seeing you mention the type of music these are for. If you're looking for something that will be used almost exclusively for film scores/classical (they are even fantastic for jazz), I might suggest as an alternative some really great earbuds... Namely the Moondrop Chaconne. They will give you the tonality and clarity of TOTL headphones with the soundstage that can match (and sometimes beat) all but the best open headphones. For that type of music (to my knowledge) there is no TOTL headphone/IEM that can touch them currently.

Apologies for getting off topic in this thread, but I would feel remiss if I didn't mention those for anything of that type of music.
Well those just made my heart pumped. I love those type of earbuds, not many of those in the market right not, or at least not much popular. Thanks for the suggestion and will keep an eye on those, really intriguing.

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #423 of 664
I just had a thought seeing you mention the type of music these are for. If you're looking for something that will be used almost exclusively for film scores/classical (they are even fantastic for jazz), I might suggest as an alternative some really great earbuds... Namely the Moondrop Chaconne. They will give you the tonality and clarity of TOTL headphones with the soundstage that can match (and sometimes beat) all but the best open headphones. For that type of music (to my knowledge) there is no TOTL headphone/IEM that can touch them currently.

Apologies for getting off topic in this thread, but I would feel remiss if I didn't mention those for anything of that type of music.
I realize I may be killing a sale of my HE-400se here, but I don't want to steer you wrong, either. If classical and film scores are your jam, I recommend the Focal Elegia, a $900 closed-back, dynamic-driver headphone on sale for $379 at Adorama: https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?sdtid=15265996&emailprice=t&sterm=RgEShb2OCxyIW::z-U1k-y9GUkGxFZWUN24E3w0&utm_source=rflaid62905

The Elegia are a mid-fi headphone, and the difference from the HE-400se or the HD 6XX is apparent. Better detail and separation, for sure. Better tonal control. Also much easier to drive than the HE-400se or the HD 6XX. Oddly enough, the closed-back Elegia also has better soundstage than the open-back HD 6XX, which has a detailed but narrow stage. In summary, I would say the stage of the HE-400se extends past your neck, reaches the edges of your ears with the Elegia and never leaves your head with the HD 6XX.

That said, the Elegia are nearly three times more expensive than the HE-400se (four times more if you buy mine used!). And they're really not the greatest all-arounders due to their less-present bass and mids- and treble focus. The bass is there and punches when needed but otherwise stays in place. I don't use my Elegia for rock or EDM, but they're lovely for stringed genres I like, such as folk, alt-country and bluegrass, some non-aggressive jazz and vocals.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #424 of 664
I realize I may be killing a sale of my HE-400se here, but I don't want to steer you wrong, either. If classical and film scores are your jam, I recommend the Focal Elegia, a $900 closed-back, dynamic-driver headphone on sale for $379 at Adorama: https://www.adorama.com/fofelegia.html?sdtid=15265996&emailprice=t&sterm=RgEShb2OCxyIW::z-U1k-y9GUkGxFZWUN24E3w0&utm_source=rflaid62905

The Elegia are a mid-fi headphone, and the difference from the HE-400se or the HD 6XX is apparent. Better detail and separation, for sure. Better tonal control. Also much easier to drive than the HE-400se or the HD 6XX. Oddly enough, the closed-back Elegia also has better soundstage than the open-back HD 6XX, which has a detailed but narrow stage. In summary, I would say the stage of the HE-400se extends past your neck, reaches the edges of your ears with the Elegia and never leaves your head with the HD 6XX.

That said, the Elegia are nearly three times more expensive than the HE-400se (four times more if you buy mine used!). And they're really not the greatest all-arounders due to their less-present bass and mids- and treble focus. The bass is there and punches when needed but otherwise stays in place. I don't use my Elegia for rock or EDM, but they're lovely for stringed genres I like, such as folk, alt-country and bluegrass, some non-aggressive jazz and vocals.
Wow, at that price really is worth the Elegia. Although sadly at the moment cannot afford them I would love to have it some day. And yeah in fact I love closed cans, its just difficult to fins something that sound as natural and organic as an open back one, but I know there are many that have that quality.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #425 of 664

I have not heard any of the Focal stuff but have not really heard anything bad about them. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those either.

In reality, if you want the absolute best headphone for that type of music, either the HD700 or HD800 are still the best. But the HD700 is discontinued (but can get on FleaBay used), and the HD800 has taken on some changes, and I'm afraid I'm no longer in the loop with those enough to recommend them or not (plus they are really expensive too).

The Chaconne are $300 IIRC (which would be kilobuck equivalent in earbuds). I don't know if not being available on Amazon means they are nearing discontinuation or not, so there is that. But there ARE some really good TOTL earbuds out there that shine for that type of music. There is a thread on here that has been very active since 2009-today. It is a whopping 4k pages long. At some point a couple fellas' made a spreadsheet listing most of the good ones of today and the "god-tier" ones also. If you are interested in some great buds (and believe me technology has come a LONG way since apple type earbuds), you can check out this thread.

Also for reference, if you are interested, I own several TOTL earbuds:
Of those, the Chaconne are the absolute best, Yincrow RW-2000 being next.

Again, I apologize for getting TOTALLY off-topic, but hope the info is helpful, nonetheless.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #426 of 664
Took me near forever to get to, but finally done with photography and testing of the frankly excellent value HE400se:

Headphones 1.jpg
Headphones 17.jpg
Headphones 22.jpg

Frequency response.png

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #428 of 664
Hey guys, please share your opinion - I listen mainly to rock&metal on my Q701, but I need a bit more "musical and fun" headphone at times. I previously had the original HE-400, and I loved it however the Q701 sounded superior (the treble was too much on the HE-400) so I sold it, I miss its sound signature sometimes however. It was double the price back in 2012... Or may be I should just go for the Sundara? Thanks.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #429 of 664
Hey guys, please share your opinion - I listen mainly to rock&metal on my Q701, but I need a bit more "musical and fun" headphone at times. I previously had the original HE-400, and I loved it however the Q701 sounded superior (the treble was too much on the HE-400) so I sold it, I miss its sound signature sometimes however. It was double the price back in 2012... Or may be I should just go for the Sundara? Thanks.
Hey!

I am in the same situation as you. I listen to mostly Rock&Metal and was looking for musical and fun headphones. Since 2011 I have owned many in my chase to get what you're asking for out of those genres. I've owned and sold SR60i, PS500, RS1i, HD600, HD650, HE4XX, Sundara, Ananda, Elegia, DT700, DT990, DT880, ELEX, SHP9500, X2HR, KPH30i, KSC75, PortaPro, D5000, TR-X00. These were all great but none gave me exactly what i wanted (closest was DT-770 80ohm with 2 ply of toilet paper in the ear cups).

THEN I DISCOVERED ORTATORY1990 list of EQ presets to make each headphone follow the harman curve. Absolutely loving my x2HR now with that EQ profile. My main genres are metalcore, punk, screamo, and all their sub genres. EVERYTHING SOUNDS F-ING AMAZING.I have ordered an HE400se too so that I have a budget headphone of each technology (dynamic and planar).

Go here, and try his EQ setting for your headphones and tell me what you think. Just try it. Get Equalizer APO, peace plug-in, and these settings. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/

Many people say EQ ruins headphones blah blah blah. And yes, I used to be on that side of the fence. Until I tried his 10 band parametric EQ settings and listened to Hundreds of albums of Spoitfy Premium. I am so happy and wish I had known about this $10,000 and 9 years ago!

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #430 of 664
Mar 2, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #431 of 664
Thanks mate. I will try your suggestion and will write back. K702 and Q701 has some supposed slight sound differences... Loving my Q701, but yes, I also just got the HE-400se today, so I'll post brief impressions too when I get the chance to listen to them properly. Might take a week or so...

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #432 of 664
Thanks mate. I will try your suggestion and will write back. K702 and Q701 has some supposed slight sound differences... Loving my Q701, but yes, I also just got the HE-400se today, so I'll post brief impressions too when I get the chance to listen to them properly. Might take a week or so...
Dude! My 400se is to arrive by Mar 10 according to Amazon. Oratory has a sound profile for them where it looks like he adds about 9db so so of bass. I expect if you do not EQ those headphones you might be dissapointed? If you scroll up on this page you will see a post with a picture from vsg28. Notice the bass from about 100Hz or so falls under the target line?

Try Oratory1990 EQ profile on them and let me know what you think! Gotta hear/feel that double bass pedal and bass guitar amirite????

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #433 of 664
Dude! My 400se is to arrive by Mar 10 according to Amazon. Oratory has a sound profile for them where it looks like he adds about 9db so so of bass. I expect if you do not EQ those headphones you might be dissapointed? If you scroll up on this page you will see a post with a picture from vsg28. Notice the bass from about 100Hz or so falls under the target line?

Try Oratory1990 EQ profile on them and let me know what you think! Gotta hear/feel that double bass pedal and bass guitar amirite????
If you go here: https://vsg.squig.link/?share=Harman_Combined_Over-Ear_Target,HIFIMAN_HE400se and hit inspect on the top left, you can get the exact numbers for the various line entries or even change targets at the bottom to the newer Harman curve (too much bass for me imo) that I think Oratory's EQ targets.

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #434 of 664
Couldn't pass up the HE-X4's on sale at Drop for $99. Will write up a comparison to my trusty AKG K612 Pro's when I get them. Expecting them to perform differently. First venture into planars - seemed like a no-brainer at that price. Eager to join the apparent legions of fans.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone amping the HE400SE / HE-X4 with? I will be breaking in a Magni 3+ at the same time. Based on what I've read, I am assuming the pairing will work well. If not, I always have the 15 day turnaround to upgrade the piece of Schiit. How much power are the happy people running through these cans?

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #435 of 664
Couldn't pass up the HE-X4's on sale at Drop for $99. Will write up a comparison to my trusty AKG K612 Pro's when I get them. Expecting them to perform differently. First venture into planars - seemed like a no-brainer at that price. Eager to join the apparent legions of fans.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone amping the HE400SE / HE-X4 with? I will be breaking in a Magni 3+ at the same time. Based on what I've read, I am assuming the pairing will work well. If not, I always have the 15 day turnaround to upgrade the piece of Schiit. How much power are the happy people running through these cans?
I don't have the HE400SE, but I have the HE400S, and the Deva. The 400S actually require a bit more amperage to fully excite the drivers. I use them on my DX300 with the Amp12 card. This puts out about 2(ish)W or 8.3VRMS, but more importantly for ortho DD is the amperage, which the DX with Amp12 puts out somewhere over 2 amps. Even with high gain on, I still have to listen at about half volume for comfortable levels (50-80dB). But on paper they are really easy to drive from the numbers given.

They truly are easy to drive for volume, but to excite the drivers properly more amperage is needed. So you CAN drive them from a phone, they just won't sound as good (the nature of ortho dynamic drivers).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back