Hifiman HE400se
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #407 of 664
Thanks, i'm glad to hear that. But still get confused will D50s have good synergy with HE400se? Since mine have been reached optimum burn in period.
I can't answer that as I don't have the D50s. Only your ears can say whether they synergize well with it. The only Bluetooth I have listened to with Hifiman headphones is the Deva. But as a generic statement, I have to say that all of my Hifiman headphones pair well with everything I have used them on, so your chances are pretty high that they will pair well IMHO.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #410 of 664
How do this new model from Hifiman compares with an entry classic, the Senns HD598?
Would it be worth to sell the HD598 to get the HD400SE?
As decent as the price is on these, why not order a pair and hear for yourself? I have not heard either, but have the big brother (HE400S), and have seen some comparisons on that thread to the HD598. It seems from that thread that they are fairly similar, with advantages spoken of and disadvantages also spoken of. So, in the end, it will depend on if YOU think it is an upgrade, side grade, or a downgrade. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #411 of 664
As decent as the price is on these, why not order a pair and hear for yourself? I have not heard either, but have the big brother (HE400S), and have seen some comparisons on that thread to the HD598. It seems from that thread that they are fairly similar, with advantages spoken of and disadvantages also spoken of. So, in the end, it will depend on if YOU think it is an upgrade, side grade, or a downgrade. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thank you. Well, the thing is I have the HD598 which I've not used in a while (have also the HD6XX and the AKG K702, and some IEM which have more my attention). So I've been tempted to sell them and with that get the HE400SE, but I'm afraid I may miss them in the future haha, so that's why I'm asking first.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #412 of 664
Thank you. Well, the thing is I have the HD598 which I've not used in a while (have also the HD6XX and the AKG K702, and some IEM which have more my attention). So I've been tempted to sell them and with that get the HE400SE, but I'm afraid I may miss them in the future haha, so that's why I'm asking first.
If you have access to Amazon delivery, you can just order them on there, and if you don't like them, return them. If you do, then you can decide to sell or keep others as you see fit.

If you have the HD6XX is there a reason you still have the 598? Or are they not a total upgrade to them 598? I have the HD700 (classic also), and would sooner get rid of my Momentum (OG) before getting rid of my HD700. Just curious, has nothing to do with the topic. :)

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #413 of 664
If you have access to Amazon delivery, you can just order them on there, and if you don't like them, return them. If you do, then you can decide to sell or keep others as you see fit.

If you have the HD6XX is there a reason you still have the 598? Or are they not a total upgrade to them 598? I have the HD700 (classic also), and would sooner get rid of my Momentum (OG) before getting rid of my HD700. Just curious, has nothing to do with the topic. :)
Exactly, originally my 6xx were the upgrade from the 598, so my feeling has been they sound too similar (with the 6XX being better overall) so having both is a bit redundant. But yeah, I think I could do that, I'm prime member from amazon so I see no issue with ordering and the returning it.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #414 of 664
Exactly, originally my 6xx were the upgrade from the 598, so my feeling has been they sound too similar (with the 6XX being better overall) so having both is a bit redundant. But yeah, I think I could do that, I'm prime member from amazon so I see no issue with ordering and the returning it.
Ah IC. I knew that the older models of the Senns weren't TOO (or totally) different until you got to higher end stuff, but not hearing either of those two you have (the 6XX are drop version right?) I wasn't sure. I bought a pair from all three points in Senns house; PX360 (lower end), Momentum wired OG, Momentum 2.0 wireless (mid-tier), and the HD700 (higher end). They were different enough to keep them all (for me), but you could definitely tell they were in the same family.

Fantastic! Let us know what you think if you do end up getting them. Hifiman has made some significant strides in planar tech over the last 10 years, and other than potential QC issues (of which I don't have any), I absolutely love them all (I have the HE400S, and Deva OG myself).

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #415 of 664
Ah IC. I knew that the older models of the Senns weren't TOO (or totally) different until you got to higher end stuff, but not hearing either of those two you have (the 6XX are drop version right?) I wasn't sure. I bought a pair from all three points in Senns house; PX360 (lower end), Momentum wired OG, Momentum 2.0 wireless (mid-tier), and the HD700 (higher end). They were different enough to keep them all (for me), but you could definitely tell they were in the same family.

Fantastic! Let us know what you think if you do end up getting them. Hifiman has made some significant strides in planar tech over the last 10 years, and other than potential QC issues (of which I don't have any), I absolutely love them all (I have the HE400S, and Deva OG myself).
Yeah, the 6XX are the DROP version of the HD650 which is indeed a step up from the HD598.
I want an entry level Hifiman because they would be my first planar so I dont want to spend too much in case Its not my cup of tea and because of the QC also, and for what I've red the 400SE are more than enough to fill my curiosity.

I will defintely let you know how it goes!

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #416 of 664
Yeah, the 6XX are the DROP version of the HD650 which is indeed a step up from the HD598.
I want an entry level Hifiman because they would be my first planar so I dont want to spend too much in case Its not my cup of tea and because of the QC also, and for what I've red the 400SE are more than enough to fill my curiosity.

I will defintely let you know how it goes!
Good thinking. But if you buy entry level, and aren't impressed at all, you may never want another pair, and I can say with surety that some of the mid-tier to upper end DO sound better IMO (than their entry level pairs). The reason I kept the HE400S is because, while they were considered entry level, they sound better than some of the higher end ones (to my ears). If you HAVE the money to spend on them, I would maybe suggest skipping to the Deva (new model), or the Sundara (well loved mid-tier). But I digress, because I have NOT heard the HE400SE, so they might sound better to you..... It is a conundrum for sure. LOL

If the HE400SE are anything like the HE400S or HE400i, then the sound you will be getting is more akin to the HD600/650, than the 598 from all that I have read. Keep in mind that back when the HE400S and HE400i (not 2020 version) were about $300 and $400 so things might have changed. Hifiman is terrible with their model numbers, and it is hard to tell what is an upgrade, or side grade, etc...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #417 of 664
Good thinking. But if you buy entry level, and aren't impressed at all, you may never want another pair, and I can say with surety that some of the mid-tier to upper end DO sound better IMO (than their entry level pairs). The reason I kept the HE400S is because, while they were considered entry level, they sound better than some of the higher end ones (to my ears). If you HAVE the money to spend on them, I would maybe suggest skipping to the Deva (new model), or the Sundara (well loved mid-tier). But I digress, because I have NOT heard the HE400SE, so they might sound better to you..... It is a conundrum for sure. LOL

If the HE400SE are anything like the HE400S or HE400i, then the sound you will be getting is more akin to the HD600/650, than the 598 from all that I have read. Keep in mind that back when the HE400S and HE400i (not 2020 version) were about $300 and $400 so things might have changed. Hifiman is terrible with their model numbers, and it is hard to tell what is an upgrade, or side grade, etc...
Owner of HE-400se and HD 6XX chiming in here.

The HE-400se has better soundstage and separation and more impactful bass. It also has a bit of a treble peak and some treble grain, which you absolutely don't get with the HD 6XX due to the rolled-off treble that many people call the "Sennheiser veil." I think detail is better on the HD 6XX, but it's not a huge difference. The big edge for the HD 6XX is in the mids -- they're very present and lovely, while the HE-400se has the typical "HiFiMan dip" in the mids. I wouldn't call the HE-400se V-shaped. But they're not as mids-forward as the HD 6XX.

Both are about equal to drive. I'm at about 1 p.m. on low gain on my JDS Labs Atom+ stack on both. HD 6XX has much higher clamping force, but the HE-400se headband can be uncomfortable due to hotspots until it breaks it. The HE-400se has deeper ear cups, if you need that extra real estate.

Both cans sound good with many different genres of music. If you want an entry-level planar that sounds better than its price tag, then the HE-400se is an easy buy at $150. I think it's still on sale for $130 at some places.

Oh, I have a pair of HE-400se I'm selling now -- upgraded to the Edition XS -- for $95 shipped if you live in the USA. PM me if interested. They're in magnificent shape.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #418 of 664

The HE-400se has better soundstage and separation and more impactful bass. It also has a bit of a treble peak and some treble grain, which you absolutely don't get with the HD 6XX due to the rolled-off treble that many people call the "Sennheiser veil." I think detail is better on the HD 6XX, but it's not a huge difference. The big edge for the HD 6XX is in the mids -- they're very present and lovely, while the HE-400se has the typical "HiFiMan dip" in the mids. I wouldn't call the HE-400se V-shaped. But they're not as mids-forward as the HD 6XX.

Both are about equal to drive. I'm at about 1 p.m. on low gain on my JDS Labs Atom+ stack on both. HD 6XX has much higher clamping force, but the HE-400se headband can be uncomfortable due to hotspots until it breaks it. The HE-400se has deeper ear cups, if you need that extra real estate.

Both cans sound good with many different genres of music. If you want an entry-level planar that sounds better than its price tag, then the HE-400se is an easy buy at $150. I think it's still on sale for $130 at some places.

Oh, I have a pair of HE-400se I'm selling now -- upgraded to the Edition XS -- for $95 shipped if you live in the USA. PM me if interested. They're in magnificent shape.
Thanks for that. I have been looking for a comparison of the HE400SE and the HE400S for some time, and while you didn't provide it directly, what you HAVE said about the HE400SE lets me know that these are more akin to the HE400i than the HE400S. Or at the least maybe a bastardized child of the two.. :smile:

Although I find that a bit backwards from my experience (but could be totally wrong) with all things Sennheiser, and Hifiman. I thought that Hifiman was usually known for their luscious, warm, buttery smooth, full mids. Sennheiser has always been known for their somewhat recessed (but still full) mids as part of their "veiled" signature. At least every pair I have (and listened to) had that trait. Maybe they decided to copy each other at the same time and switch it up?! LOL

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #419 of 664

Thank you... will be thinking about your offer, very tempted.
Thanks for the detailed insight. I've read some that argue the 400SE have more detail than the 6XX, so I guess is maybe a subjective matter.
which one in your opinion fares batter for filmscores music and maybe classical?

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #420 of 664
Thank you... will be thinking about your offer, very tempted.
Thanks for the detailed insight. I've read some that argue the 400SE have more detail than the 6XX, so I guess is maybe a subjective matter.
which one in your opinion fares batter for filmscores music and maybe classical?
I just had a thought seeing you mention the type of music these are for. If you're looking for something that will be used almost exclusively for film scores/classical (they are even fantastic for jazz), I might suggest as an alternative some really great earbuds... Namely the Moondrop Chaconne. They will give you the tonality and clarity of TOTL headphones with the soundstage that can match (and sometimes beat) all but the best open headphones. For that type of music (to my knowledge) there is no TOTL headphone/IEM that can touch them currently.

Apologies for getting off topic in this thread, but I would feel remiss if I didn't mention those for anything of that type of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back