Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 1, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #5,117 of 5,211
Just received my HE1000SE. Was not expecting a planar to have such crazy driver speed, but wow. Such crisp. Almost like an old Stax.

I listen to my electrostats almost exclusively these days, the Arya Organic is the closest non-estat I have that sounds similar to estats.

You would think the HD800 would be estat like but no, its its own thing. Excellent headphone but doesn't remind me of Stax at all.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #5,118 of 5,211
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post #5043. I thought to elaborate a bit more and share some thoughts based on feedback...

First off, my only headphone for the past 11 years has been Audeze LCD-2. However, the intimate sound stage has me looking for a new headphone. And honestly, the damn thing is pretty uncomfortable with its clamping force.

Music I frequently listen to: classic rock, jazz, old-school metal, classical (solo piano, in particular, but also everything else including opera), trip-hop

Swapped out my 11-year old Asgard 2 for an iFi Pro iCAN Signature, as I wanted an amp with enough current to drive Susvara and the ability to add some tube sound to HE1000SE.

My chain: FLAC/WAV Roon -->Monoprice USB -->Chord Quest stock filter-->Audioquest Golden Gate-->iFi Pro iCAN Signature

Some listening impressions from the past few weeks:

HE1000SE: I really want to love this headphone. For classical, it is hands-down the best I've heard. For rock, it is so addictive and engaging but listening fatigue can set in after 30-45 minutes. For metal...I still can't get over the treble, almost sibilant at times. For trip-hop, I miss the deep ocean sub-bass of Meze Elite, but the bass of the HE1000SE is quite good - very tight and controlled. However, after ~100 hours of burn-in (I just left the headphone playing music from Roon; I did not actively listen for 100 hours), the treble has not mellowed out, at least to my ears. That said, "tube" mode on the iFi has tamed the treble a bit, but brighter recordings are still *bright*. Guess I'm more sensitive to treble than I previously realized.

Susvara: solid all-around but not as engaging as HE1000SE. Vocals are recessed in comparison and I'm not as involved in the music. I feel the Sus is too "polite" for me. And classical, especially solo piano, is too holographic for my taste on the Susvara.

Meze Elite: too laid-back. It is beautiful to look at and so comfortable and so well-built. And that sub-bass is beyond any headphone I've ever heard. But for classical (solo piano, especially), it isn't even close to HE1000SE. And vocals across all genres are too recessed and veiled. I feel disconnected from my favorite tracks. Could I fix with EQ? Perhaps. But I am no expert and feel that I can find a headphone having stock tuning that matches my preferences.

Dan Clark Expanse: I could not get over how sensitive these were to ear placement. Slightly shifting the cups dramatically altered the sound signature. Having slightly compressed pads also had a big effect. Too touchy for me.

Focal Clear: nope. Took one listen and...nope. Not for me. The soundstage is too intimate.

Grado GS1000X: nope. Cold and analytical. I can imagine a recording engineer would love these, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Based on all this listening, I've come to one major conclusion: I want a sound signature closest to HE1000SE, but the listening fatigue is just too much. However, I do want the forward vocals and clarity, especially for classical. And I could do with some deep sub-bass ala Meze Elite. Therefore, I'm considering the following as next to audition:
ZMF Caldera
HE1000 Stealth

Anyone with the HE1000SE end up preferring the Caldera or HE1000 Stealth? Unfortunately, looks like HE1000 V2 (non stealth) is hard to get these days...

The other option is to build around HE1000SE. As others have pointed out, perhaps replace the Qutest with an R2R DAC and the iFi Pro iCAN Signature with a tube amp (Feliks Audio Envy is the one I'm currently considering) and get some copper cables? Or just get the RME ADI 2 and learn how to do some basic hardware-based EQ?

Based on my observations, any thoughts about the best direction to go? Thanks again for your time. This community is really fantastic.
I just add a 4-5db bass shelf on RME ADI 2 DAC FS and that balances the he1000se and I could listen for hours without fatigue. It’s so addictive. I don’t peq the high frequencies as I found that affects the detail (probably too much detail to start with), airiness and spatial qualities.

In general people keep raising volume until they pick up enough bass, and with the he1000se, that may be too much treble energy for some genres or recordings.

I agree that you do’t need any peq for classical/clean jazz. Definitely need it for rock, metal and hip hop.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #5,119 of 5,211
Is it known what exactly is the structure of the stock cables (the black ones)? It was here already discussed but the conclusion wasn't very clear. Is it silver + copper hybrid or just copper, what awg etc (they are not exactly cheap when selling separately). Just to understand what is the starting point when searching for the upgrade.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #5,120 of 5,211
Is it known what exactly is the structure of the stock cables (the black ones)? It was here already discussed but the conclusion wasn't very clear. Is it silver + copper hybrid or just copper, what awg etc (they are not exactly cheap when selling separately). Just to understand what is the starting point when searching for the upgrade.
They are crystalline copper and crystalline silver wire, they are very good cables, aesthetics aside.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #5,121 of 5,211
They are crystalline copper and crystalline silver wire, they are very good cables, aesthetics aside.
Yes, this I found as well, also in this thread was mentioned that "standard replacement" cables are actually more expensive than "crystalline" ones. So it is still a bit confusing. From what I found, most likely crystalline means just some sort of UP-OCC, which is fine. But it still does not give any further details about the gauge of the cable (awg number) or any other construction details (e.g. litz).

But at least it should be confirmed it is a hybrid cable.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #5,122 of 5,211
I have specifically asked HiFiMan and they have refused to elaborate on their cable construction.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #5,123 of 5,211
I have specifically asked HiFiMan and they have refused to elaborate on their cable construction.
Obviously... knowing it is a hybrid, I guess it is worth trying some nice thick pure copper cable as an alternative, or at least this is what I will do. If for nothing then at least for visual and comfort upgrade alone.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #5,124 of 5,211
I'm extremely happy with these cables. 16 cores Silver in a very soft and subtle braid. Custom connectors and lengths made to order.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115714280141

More transparent than the similar 8 cores silver plated cables of the same design that I also have from them in a longer length.. I bought them for my Nanos, which anything is better than those stock cables. Even the $25 YouKamoo

https://www.amazon.com/Youkamoo-Compatible-Hifiman-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B096LX4KTX?th=1

Since I already had really nice cables when I got my HE1000SE, I never tried the cables that came with it if even just because of the tangly ergonomics of it.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #5,125 of 5,211
Obviously... knowing it is a hybrid, I guess it is worth trying some nice thick pure copper cable as an alternative, or at least this is what I will do. If for nothing then at least for visual and comfort upgrade alone.
I bought an 8-core 7N copper from AliE for about £18. Really only to have something lighter and more flexible for mobile use. POSSIBLY slightly less bright but very little difference to my old ears

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #5,126 of 5,211
Apologies if this has already been confirmed elsewhere and I didn't see it, but are the new stock cables in black sheathing the same wire/construction as the previous ones in the rubberized clear casing?

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #5,127 of 5,211
My HE1000SE came with the three tan, rubbery cables. Comparing the 4 pin XLR to my 16 cores pure silver, the stock cables are woolier in the midbass, not as black between the instruments, slightly narrower and shallower, and obscure some of the fine retrieval of reverberant tails. I would probably choose the $30 Youkamoo over these.

I would say that anyone that finds the HE1000SE too bright with the rubbery stock cables, and is trying to find a dimmer cable, is going to have a hard time. The stock cables are already dim on top, muddled and "comfortably" boring in the mids.

If you didn't want to spend $200 for the pure silver cables to get the maximum sonic retrieval, the $40 silver plated cables are pretty close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115953735297?var=416088884645

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #5,128 of 5,211
My HE1000SE came with the three tan, rubbery cables. Comparing the 4 pin XLR to my 16 cores pure silver, the stock cables are woolier in the midbass, not as black between the instruments, slightly narrower and shallower, and obscure some of the fine retrieval of reverberant tails. I would probably choose the $30 Youkamoo over these.

I would say that anyone that finds the HE1000SE too bright with the rubbery stock cables, and is trying to find a dimmer cable, is going to have a hard time. The stock cables are already dim on top, muddled and "comfortably" boring in the mids.

If you didn't want to spend $200 for the pure silver cables to get the maximum sonic retrieval, the $40 silver plated cables are pretty close.

Don’t think you would want a pure silver cable for the HEKSEs. I would go Hybrid or Copper.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #5,130 of 5,211

Did you just get your HEKse? Or older one? All the new ones should have the 3 black cable set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back