Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #5,146 of 5,205
for some unknown reason the he1000-se and susvara came with single-ended cables today. the susvara had a balanced cable fitted previously. my head-amp is single ended so having a balanced connection isn't important to me.
Both headphones come with 3 cables each. 4pin XLR, 1/4", and 3.5".

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #5,147 of 5,205
for some unknown reason the he1000-se and susvara came with single-ended cables today. the susvara had a balanced cable fitted previously. my head-amp is single ended so having a balanced connection isn't important to me.
So, the other side of my statement above that more gain doesn't mean more power if you are already at your reference (loud) listening level, having more power at the same gain (volume level) WILL sound better. Especially with the difficult high impedance and low sensitivity of the Susvara where it will offer more headroom to power the dynamic transients and deep bass. My Burson Conductor Reference SE is optimized for single ended all the way through and the ouput stage cannot supply a balanced output and there is no faux 4 pin jack. Just 1/4 TRS. So it is full power into the SE jack. My Conductor 3XP and or VMV P2 amp sections on the other hand offer balanced or SE. The SE connection will be half power and 6db less gain. The VMV P2 amp losses another 6db if I feed it from the SE RCA rather than the XLR balanced line in. At which point I have to kick it up to medium gain. Which doesn't sound quite as good even with the same XLR in and XLR balanced out in level matched comparison as the low gain setting. Due to the extra gain being added in the driver circuit.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #5,148 of 5,205
Using a Norne Fusion on mine, absolutely delicious in every way.

Edit: everyone likes photos
IMG_0253.jpeg
Yep, I'm using a Norne Vygard with my HEKse's and the pairing is indeed delicious :)

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #5,149 of 5,205
Using a Norne Fusion on mine, absolutely delicious in every way.

Edit: everyone likes photos
Nice I’m using balanced Arctic Integra cables on my HE1000SE

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #5,150 of 5,205
I have a pure Silver cable, and several other types. And it is by far my favorite. See my post above. It is more transparent, blacker between the instruments, by far the best at tracing out reverberant tails all the way to the lowest noise floor. Faster, wider, deeper. Well worth the $200 if you are going to spend $2000 on a headphone and $2000 on a DAC and amp.
I used pure silver for both HEKV2 and HEKSE. It is the most transparent and not harsh at all. Very clean sounding.

You don't even have to spend that much. I found mine on AliExpress for $30.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #5,151 of 5,205
I used pure silver for both HEKV2 and HEKSE. It is the most transparent and not harsh at all. Very clean sounding.

If you haven't already, can you please share link? Thanks.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #5,153 of 5,205
So, the other side of my statement above that more gain doesn't mean more power if you are already at your reference (loud) listening level, having more power at the same gain (volume level) WILL sound better. Especially with the difficult high impedance and low sensitivity of the Susvara where it will offer more headroom to power the dynamic transients and deep bass. My Burson Conductor Reference SE is optimized for single ended all the way through and the ouput stage cannot supply a balanced output and there is no faux 4 pin jack. Just 1/4 TRS. So it is full power into the SE jack. My Conductor 3XP and or VMV P2 amp sections on the other hand offer balanced or SE. The SE connection will be half power and 6db less gain. The VMV P2 amp losses another 6db if I feed it from the SE RCA rather than the XLR balanced line in. At which point I have to kick it up to medium gain. Which doesn't sound quite as good even with the same XLR in and XLR balanced out in level matched comparison as the low gain setting. Due to the extra gain being added in the driver circuit.
understood. the burson conductor 3x grand tourer produces double the amount of power from its balanced output. i suppose that it would be the preferable option for the susvara, especially if it is located in the next room. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #5,154 of 5,205
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #5,155 of 5,205
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #5,156 of 5,205

Seems like this cable is some kind of hybrid since the description mentions Silver plated

"This is Hi-ResPure 99% Silver WireInside + Silver Plated OCC Shielding Wire 18*0.08mm"

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #5,157 of 5,205
Yeah, not even China has magical silver prices.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #5,158 of 5,205
Seems like this cable is some kind of hybrid since the description mentions Silver plated

"This is Hi-ResPure 99% Silver WireInside + Silver Plated OCC Shielding Wire 18*0.08mm"
Looks like the shielding is SPC but the internal wire is "pure" silver.
H3ba4988060cc428bbbbf74c32ccf1b39p.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

I use the same cable for HD8XX, it sounds great on those too. 👍

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #5,159 of 5,205
Looks like the shielding is SPC but the internal wire is "pure" silver.
H3ba4988060cc428bbbbf74c32ccf1b39p.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

I use the same cable for HD8XX, it sounds great on those too. 👍
The shield is the return negative leg of each channel? So that cable is half copper? Just trying to make sense of the pure silver statement. Not to say that they don't sound great and offer a great value.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #5,160 of 5,205
The shield is the return negative leg of each channel? So that cable is half copper? Just trying to make sense of the pure silver statement. Not to say that they don't sound great and offer a great value.
I didn't make up the marketing material for them and have no affiliation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just offering an alternative option in case someone doesn't want to pay full price for 100% pure silver cable...I can only attest that it sounds as described. Transparent and organic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back