Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #3,721 of 5,382
I've got borrowed Susvara next to my HE1000se and doing some A/B. While I love the Suavara for tonality and a bit more refined sound, the HEkse are more spacious with a taller stage, which is why I choosed them originally.

I was planning to have one all-runder but now I'm confused and can't decide - perfect tonality vs spaciousness. I could afford both but that's against my resolution.

From your description of the pads there seems to be a chance that it can bring the HEkse closer to the Susvara (while sill not being there, I know)..
Its the shape - the Susvara is 1/2 way between a long cup and a round cup, hence the better impact in the bass over all the HEK's. I think the stage size of the HEK Series (and HEX and Ananda and Arya) are too tall vs the width.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #3,722 of 5,382

Attachments

• m_4525 amp.jpg
    m_4525 amp.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #3,723 of 5,382
Nice pics, check out this amp Jadis JA-500 Mk II
Why should we look at the Jadis JA500 Mkii? Do you own it or have any listening impressions you'd like to share?

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #3,724 of 5,382
Why should we look at the Jadis JA500 Mkii? Do you own it or have any listening impressions you'd like to share?
Never heard that beast, just putting it up as an impressive looking amp. Nothing more. I did co-own one of their "budget" models the JA-100 for a time, not so impressive looking. The best tube amp I've heard is the VTL Ichiban (Manley) seen in this pic:

Attachments

• image ichi.png
    image ichi.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,726 of 5,382
I prefer to hear music by ear and not with they eyes.
Generally concur, but … looks clearly affect my tastes … he says as he admires his Cocobolo Atrium.

I will also admit to drooling a bit over some of the pics of various Cayin tube amps. Haven’t let them suck me deeper into the tube hole — Liquid Platinum & then Bottlehead Crack are bad enough :)

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #3,727 of 5,382
I've got borrowed Susvara next to my HE1000se and doing some A/B. While I love the Suavara for tonality and a bit more refined sound, the HEkse are more spacious with a taller stage, which is why I chose them originally.

I was planning to have one all-runder but now I'm confused and can't decide - perfect tonality vs spaciousness. I could afford both but that's against my resolution.

From your description of the pads there seems to be a chance that it can bring the HEkse closer to the Susvara (while sill not being there, I know)..
Positioning Susvara on head (at-least for me :wink: is very important and sound stage changes with position. Best for me is to let Susvara as low hanging on my head (loose fit with earpads not compressed much) as possible and tilt it forward a bit. In this position is sound stage like that on HEkSE.

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #3,729 of 5,382
Maybe HE1000se (and Susvara) cannot be improved even further, so no more updates )

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #3,731 of 5,382
Anyone can advice me on how to get more weight / body to the sound with he1000se ( without loosing the stage and precision ) any attempt and good experience to report?
What's your source chain? Switching to a class A amp has this effect on all my cans

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #3,734 of 5,382
Headphones.com is selling the new HEKV2 Stealth version on sale at $1,999, but it is “final sale”. I auditioned the original HEKV2 along side the Susvara and the HEKSE for several weeks earlier this year, and I chose the HEKSE for innumerable reasons, but with some degree of conflict with the V2 at the time.

I primarily listen to rock genres. For that reason (among others) the Susvara was a non-starter right out of the box. I was so relieved to finally get my FOMO behind me with that thing, as an owner at the time of the 2020 Utopia and Sony Z1Rs. Similar to the Utopia, the Susvara was incredibly resolving and impeccably detailed—but with a much wider soundstage and more precise imaging. But the tuning? Absolutely flat. Listening to these without EQing the bass would be unthinkable to me (same with the vastly overrated Utopia) and despite the fact that I have a formidably powered amp (an iFi Pro iCAN Signature with 14+ watts of balanced power), adding bass emphasis made them even more impossible to drive than they were without EQ. With my amp wide open I got into clipping at even modest volumes. To me they were way too much trouble for what they’re worth—all analytical, zero fun. My easiest choice to return.

The HEKV2s at 90 db/SPL were easier to drive immediately, and compared to my Utopias, their vast soundstage and powerful bass slam immediately demonstrated to me the merits of planars over my Utopia’s dynamic driver. The oval pad design of the HEK series is to me leaps and bounds ahead of the round pad Susvaras and Sundaras, with cups that completely enveloped my ears and created a proscenium arch of sound that was visibly vast and three dimensional (I have since grabbed up an Arya Stealth and Edition XS based on my love of this design). And the sub/low bass was so punchy and physical that I could feel the rumble in my jaw bones.

However, the most salient asset I found in the V2 was the incomparable tuning right out of the box—they did take the analog bass boost I have on my Pro iCAN extremely well, but there was zero fatigue with these cans. The highs and mids were velvet smooth and I could listen to these headphones forever—it’s no accident that Crinacle lists them third from the top, after a Stax flagship and the Susvaras. They’re simply that sublime.

But the minute I put on the HEKSE, I was bowled over by the most detailed, surgically precise sound I had ever heard from a headphone in my life. They are daringly fast and accurate—after a few minutes with these I knew there was no way I could ever listen to my limp Utopias the same way again. The bass physicality was on par with the V2, except with more emphasis on the mid bass this time, offering more warmth and fullness to the sound signature. I must invoke the cliche of hearing details in my music collection that I never knew existed before, and I set about rifling through my life-long favorite albums marveling at the opportunity to hear them fresh all over again. I was sold.

But the conflict arose with fatigue. The HEKSE are definitely a brighter headphone than the V2, and no doubt that brightness is part of what contributes to their transparent detail and precise instrument placement (I assume the Stealth magnet is responsible for a significant portion of their clarity as well—there seems to be nothing whatsoever standing in the way of the music and your ears). In terms of detail retrieval and accuracy, the HEKse clearly outperformed the V2–in fact I think that those who call the HEKse a 9.5 to the Susvara’s 10 are dead wrong. The HEKse does everything the Susvara does with equal perfection—they’re just designed for different genres. The Susvaras are the endgame headphone for classical and jazz enthusiasts, whereas the HEKse is the ultimate headphone for rock, electronica, Hip Hop and similar tastes where the goal is energy, excitement, and fun—with Susvara-level performance.

But there’s no doubt that on certain tracks, the HEKse brightness is going to tire you out. A little EQ can work wonders, but the loss of that shimmer in the high end will be at the detriment of detail. Burn-in may have tamed the highs for me to a modest extent (or my ears may simply have adjusted to them), but I still miss that smoothness the V2 offered, so much so that I almost wish that I had never tried the SE.

Which brings me to these new Stealth versions of the HEKV2. From what I have read, this version retains all the assets of the original, and the magnet is the only change HFM made to this flagship design. If this is indeed the case, and if the new Stealth magnet brings their detail retrieval anywhere close to the HEKse, then I have to assume that they would be the ultimate headphone for me on Earth. Every day I visit Headphones.com and contemplate grabbing them up at this price (given that the V2 Stealths are retailing at $2,399 in Europe, this $1,999 price point is quite a steal). My only hesitation is the fact that I already own the Arya Stealth, the Edition XS, the HEKse and most recently a set of Meze Elites. But damn it, that FOMO is back again. I keep returning here hoping that someone has gotten their hands on a pair and can offer an educated comparison between these and my HEKSEs—is anyone out there who could oblige?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #3,735 of 5,382
I have both and wrote on the he1000 thread comparing the two, answered some questions too there and in pm. They are very different . You won't have precise and wide stage and as-airy breathy expressivity , or the neutral-reference behavior ; the thing that bugs me after some tllistening is not a different soundstage but hotter mids ;also wetter; guitars and voices have -a lot- more life then on he1000se, they are thicker and many drums are rendered with a closer and more tuneful taste ( more lifelike) ; but you can't wear them effortlessly for hours on any genre , they are more fatiguing and abit more shouty , as i said and someone else said : hot /forward mids , overall a more engaging and forward headphones set, quite sensibly different for taste then the he1000se. The only thing they are close or equal ( to my ears ) is detail and resolution. But tone frq balance and distances in presentation are different.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-headphone.748334/post-17408332

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back