Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 15, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,696 of 5,250
I own the susvara and used to used to own the 1000se....I actually originally sold my susvara to buy the 1000se and was very happy with it and it being so much easier to drive...that said I ultimately sold the 1000se and rebought another susvara....the truth is the susvara with the proper electronics is significantly better than the 1000se...I would say the 1000se is perhaps 80% of the susvara and understand I think the 1000se is marvelous but the susvara is simply one of the 2 best HP's out there IMHO the other being the abyss TC
My question (mostly to myself, since I haven't met someone with the same approach yet) is still how the two would compare when both are perfectly equalized. In my now system with the new dimension offered by the Neutron Player my HE1000se sounds so close to perfection that this question is of very minor interest, though.

May 15, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,697 of 5,250
My HEKse’s are steadily evolving. I find myself reaching for them instead of my Susvara’s because they are so amp friendly. They give you so much of the Susvara’s sound that you think they are better at times. That is until you put on the Susvara’s. There’s a reason why there’s a price difference between them.

May 15, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #1,698 of 5,250
I think the HEKse are really underrated because of their off tonal balance. They're thin and splashy without EQ or ****ing with the audio chain. But after fixing, damn are they special!.

If the Susvara have more precise imaging and more dynamic bass then that would be a true upgrade over the HEKse!.

Currently I am not into upgrading or purchasing new headphones as I become more and more a speaker guy : )

May 15, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,699 of 5,250
My HEKse’s are steadily evolving. I find myself reaching for them instead of my Susvara’s because they are so amp friendly. They give you so much of the Susvara’s sound that you think they are better at times. That is until you put on the Susvara’s. There’s a reason why there’s a price difference between them.
I think most of what makes the Susvara more endearing than the SE is that they have a warmer, many would say better tonal balance with slightly clearer resolution. Whereas the SE tends to be brighter, thinner, more analytical and maybe even less musical sounding.

May 15, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,700 of 5,250
May 16, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,701 of 5,250
I think most of what makes the Susvara more endearing than the SE is that they have a warmer, many would say better tonal balance with slightly clearer resolution. Whereas the SE tends to be brighter, thinner, more analytical and maybe even less musical sounding.
They‘re both highly enjoyable. The Susvara’s just excel at everything while the HEKse’s are just a step behind. That’s right were they belong given that they use trickled down tech from the Susvara’s. The HEKse’s give you more than enough of the Susvara’s sound signature in a must easier to drive package. You can pick them up, plug them in and know you’re getting top flight sound. The Susvara’s on the other hand, you have to system match. They are a lot harder to drive and don’t sound good with certain amps. If they are not properly driven, they can sound thin and lifeless as well.

Since the HEKse’s are very resolving, they can sound analytical when paired with bright sources and neutral amps. I didn’t like them as much when paired with my Hugo 2. That was to much of a good thing and wasn’t very musical sounding to my ears. They definitely sound better when paired with warmer sounding gear. But make no mistake about it, the Susvara’s ARE that last 10% if you‘re seeking one of the two best headphones available. The other is the Abyss Phi TC’s. They are 1 and 1A. Which one is better? Well that depends on the mood you’re in :)

May 16, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,702 of 5,250
They‘re both highly enjoyable. The Susvara’s just excel at everything while the HEKse’s are just a step behind. That’s right were they belong given that they use trickled down tech from the Susvara’s. The HEKse’s give you more than enough of the Susvara’s sound signature in a must easier to drive package. You can pick them up, plug them in and know you’re getting top flight sound. The Susvara’s on the other hand, you have to system match. They are a lot harder to drive and don’t sound good with certain amps. If they are not properly driven, they can sound thin and lifeless as well.

Since the HEKse’s are very resolving, they can sound analytical when paired with bright sources and neutral amps. I didn’t like them as much when paired with my Hugo 2. That was to much of a good thing and wasn’t very musical sounding to my ears. They definitely sound better when paired with warmer sounding gear. But make no mistake about it, the Susvara’s ARE that last 10% if you‘re seeking one of the two best headphones available. The other is the Abyss Phi TC’s. They are 1 and 1A. Which one is better? Well that depends on the mood you’re in :)
I keep going back and forth about selling my SE and getting the Susvara. The ease of drive thing keeps nagging me and not sure I am as into the Hifiman sound as much anymore. Then the TC or maybe even a used 1266 Phi calls my name too as a different flavor altogether. The Susvara would definitely be more comfortable though.

May 16, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #1,704 of 5,250
Biggest "problem" of susvara is not about power requirement, especially many today's high end amplifier produce plenty of watts already. However, system synergy matching (dac, amplifier, cable) is different story. Once you got the ultimate matching, Susvara is hard to beat as numero uno.

HE1000se will sound more "consistent" through various set-up, thus, "easier" to drive.

Note: what I believe in niche item is, flagship designed not to have best value or easiest to get, but rather for someone who craving for perfection.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #1,705 of 5,250
I agree. Top end headphones are expensive, but do give you 200K speaker system sound quality. So if we take that into account, they are still cheap LOL. If you can accept my analogy.

I have heard 500K 2 channel at Munich, and the TC (for example) gets you a lot of that sound. Once you get a good DAC and server in front of it, and a decent amplifier. That really makes things take off.
It is easier if you have already invested in a high end system, and bolt on headphones after. Building a high end system only for headphones is not so cheap.

If we look at the original headphone market back in 1990's for example. It was a poor mans hifi solution. Not any more, it is now a genuine high end solution in itself, one that I would pitch against the best 2 channel speaker systems.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,706 of 5,250
I agree. Top end headphones are expensive, but do give you 200K speaker system sound quality. So if we take that into account, they are still cheap LOL. If you can accept my analogy.

I have heard 500K 2 channel at Munich, and the TC (for example) gets you a lot of that sound. Once you get a good DAC and server in front of it, and a decent amplifier. That really makes things take off.
It is easier if you have already invested in a high end system, and bolt on headphones after. Building a high end system only for headphones is not so cheap.

If we look at the original headphone market back in 1990's for example. It was a poor mans hifi solution. Not any more, it is now a genuine high end solution in itself, one that I would pitch against the best 2 channel speaker systems.
The only problem with this argument, in my humble opinion, is the analogy itself, as useful as it might be in some contexts. Personally, I love both highly resolving HP and speaker systems, but I do not think either one of them can ever satisfactorily replace the other, which means that, in the end, they are different "animals" altogether, so to speak. I have actually stopped trying to compare them (to the extent that I can avoid comparing them) because I like to regard hearing music from speakers, as an entirely different experience from the way I hear it from headphones, because to me, they are always entirely different.

The fact that headphone listening is so intimate, and excludes any acoustic involvement of the room in which the listening takes place, are the first two major differences that separate the experience, in my view, from speaker listening, which is always colored by variable conditions of room acoustics, and also, by the listening pleasure or displeasure of other people (I mean actually or potentially present other.listening parties).

This might not mean much to others, but when I am listening to a piece of music on speakers, and someone else is present in the room (or if I suspect other people might be hearing the music from nearby locations), I cannot help wondering whether the other parties are enjoying the music as much as I am, or whether they're hating it and feeling disturbed/annoyed by it.

Another way or putting this is to attend a live concert of one's favorite band or group with a live audience, and then compare that collective experience to listening to an excellent recording of the same live performance alone, in isolation, and on headphones. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the recording will produce an exact replica of the music one heard at the concert with the live audience, I can almost guarantee 100%, that the headphone experience will be profoundly different, on the levels of both the sonic and emotional resonances that the same music might yield.

Ergo, headphone listening is always profoundly different from speaker listening : if the comparison of the two mediums is interesting (and I agree that it is interesting), it is precisely because of the difference, not in spite of it. Besides, I personally know of a few speaker-listening audiophiles who cannot stand headphones at all. However, I have never encountered the reverse group, namely, exclusive headphone listening audiophiles who cannot stand listening on speakers, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if such audiophiles exist as well.

Okay, I shall stop the rambling here. I am beginning to feel as if I have too much disposable time on my hands, which I really don't :) :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,707 of 5,250
I keep going back and forth about selling my SE and getting the Susvara. The ease of drive thing keeps nagging me and not sure I am as into the Hifiman sound as much anymore. Then the TC or maybe even a used 1266 Phi calls my name too as a different flavor altogether. The Susvara would definitely be more comfortable though.
I had the Abyss Phi’s and preferred the Susvara’s by quite a bit. At the time, I had the Pro iCan, which drove both very, very well. When I added xbass to the Susvara’s the bass not only matched the Phi’s but was more detailed and nuanced. Then there was comfort, which was no contest. The Susvara’s won that battle hands down. What really got me to choose the Susvara’s over the Phi’s was the midrange. The Susvara’s Midrange made the Phi’s midrange sound recessed and the headphone as a whole sound V-Shaped. So I sold the Phi’s.

The TC’s fixed everything I disliked about the sound of Phi’s. The fit issue still remains, but is a slight compromise because they sound so darn good. The HEKse’s fall in the group of headphones right under these two. In a way, they are their own headphone with their own sound. Taken in that context, the HEKse is a really and I mean really, great headphone. With a cable upgrade and some system matching, you can really transform these headphones. The fact that they are easy to drive in a bonus.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,709 of 5,250
Some people say it 80% some say 90%, i thought its 99% with the right combo of gears.. these numbers are all relative.
Yep, agreed!

May 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,710 of 5,250
The only problem with this argument, in my humble opinion, is the analogy itself, as useful as it might be in some contexts. Personally, I love both highly resolving HP and speaker systems, but I do not think either one of them can ever satisfactorily replace the other, which means that, in the end, they are different "animals" altogether, so to speak. I have actually stopped trying to compare them (to the extent that I can avoid comparing them) because I like to regard hearing music from speakers, as an entirely different experience from the way I hear it from headphones, because to me, they are always entirely different.

The fact that headphone listening is so intimate, and excludes any acoustic involvement of the room in which the listening takes place, are the first two major differences that separate the experience, in my view, from speaker listening, which is always colored by variable conditions of room acoustics, and also, by the listening pleasure or displeasure of other people (I mean actually or potentially present other.listening parties).

This might not mean much to others, but when I am listening to a piece of music on speakers, and someone else is present in the room (or if I suspect other people might be hearing the music from nearby locations), I cannot help wondering whether the other parties are enjoying the music as much as I am, or whether they're hating it and feeling disturbed/annoyed by it.

Another way or putting this is to attend a live concert of one's favorite band or group with a live audience, and then compare that collective experience to listening to an excellent recording of the same live performance alone, in isolation, and on headphones. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the recording will produce an exact replica of the music one heard at the concert with the live audience, I can almost guarantee 100%, that the headphone experience will be profoundly different, on the levels of both the sonic and emotional resonances that the same music might yield.

Ergo, headphone listening is always profoundly different from speaker listening : if the comparison of the two mediums is interesting (and I agree that it is interesting), it is precisely because of the difference, not in spite of it. Besides, I personally know of a few speaker-listening audiophiles who cannot stand headphones at all. However, I have never encountered the reverse group, namely, exclusive headphone listening audiophiles who cannot stand listening on speakers, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if such audiophiles exist as well.

Okay, I shall stop the rambling here. I am beginning to feel as if I have too much disposable time on my hands, which I really don't :) :)
Some great points there. And I agree with you. I am trying to zero in on the sonics, quality level and detail, not so much the personal experience between the two mediums.
IMO the gap between top 2 channel and top HPs has narrowed a LOT in the last 10 years. If you notice, there are quite a few respected 2 channel audio magazine reviewers who are openly wow'd and own top end HPs now. This is all good. I try to avoid the 2 channels guys who write-off HPs as a poor mans hifi. They are old school and not up to date IMO.

Some 2 channel reviewers who have 'seen the light'. There are many more, and it is all good IMO.

Steve Guttenberg:

John Atkinson:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/audeze-lcd-4-headphones

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back