Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 12, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,666 of 5,216
...They are? I seen them dropping like flies on the used market...
By this I assume you mean that lots of folks are selling various ZMF models? Or specifically selling Aeolus?

HifiShark says there are currently no used Verite for sale (Open or Closed). They list 4 Auteur, but one is a listing here on Head-Fi from February which was a 'I might sell them' -- several users have posted asking for availability, but no responses from seller, so probably not really for sale. 2 listings for Aeolus. Note that these figures are for listings world-wide.

Also note that there are at least as many WTB for these cans as FS listings. So I wouldn't say that they are 'dropping like flies'.

Also, if you look at the sales prices vs list prices, the value doesn't seem to be dropping.

But you don't like them, don't buy them :)

Cheers!

May 12, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,667 of 5,216
By this I assume you mean that lots of folks are selling various ZMF models? Or specifically selling Aeolus?

HifiShark says there are currently no used Verite for sale (Open or Closed). They list 4 Auteur, but one is a listing here on Head-Fi from February which was a 'I might sell them' -- several users have posted asking for availability, but no responses from seller, so probably not really for sale. 2 listings for Aeolus. Note that these figures are for listings world-wide.

Also note that there are at least as many WTB for these cans as FS listings. So I wouldn't say that they are 'dropping like flies'.

Also, if you look at the sales prices vs list prices, the value doesn't seem to be dropping.

But you don't like them, don't buy them :)

Cheers!

Oh your one of those nosy type, I wasnt talking to you, but since you mention, I counted at least 4 in the past couple months (back to February). One was selling for 1500

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold.927906/

Funny thing is, I never even say anything bad about them, go promote your gear in the ZMF thread.

May 12, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,668 of 5,216
Oh your one of those nosy type, I wasnt talking to you...
I resent that remark :ksc75smile:

I'm not nosy...annoying, pedantic, nit-picky...all of those, for sure. But nosy? I've never been accused of that. In fact, I tend to be the last to hear about stuff.

As far as "...wasn't talking to you..." it's a public message board. If you post, you're talking to everyone who reads it.
You said:
...Funny thing is, I never even say anything bad about them...
Perhaps I misunderstood, but your previous message, which I quoted, seemed pretty derisive. If I misinterpreted your comment, I apologize. But if you look back through the chain of messages you replied to, it seems like you're in agreement with @GU1DO in your reply to @mixman ... who, BTW, wasn't talking to you.

Anyway, enjoy your HifiMan headphones. I know I enjoy my HEKv2, and I'm looking forward to checking out the HEKse.

May 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,669 of 5,216
Oh your one of those nosy type, I wasnt talking to you, but since you mention, I counted at least 4 in the past couple months (back to February). One was selling for 1500

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold.927906/

Funny thing is, I never even say anything bad about them, go promote your gear in the ZMF thread.
Well you did seem to question mixman’s comment that the ZMF headphones are the fastest rising brand of full sized HP on Head-Fi. I sold my HEKSE about 1 month ago to partially fund my purchase of two ZMF headphones. I liked my 3 other headphones, ZMF Verite open, LCD 4z and Utopia better than the HEKSE. When I decided to sell one of my headphones to help fund my purchase of the 2 ZMF headphones, the decision was an easy one. I had the HEKSE for about a year so I had plenty of time to compare and decide which ones stayed and which one would be sold. I have no regrets about selling it.

May 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,670 of 5,216
I counted at least 4 in the past couple months (back to February). One was selling for 1500

Much more than 4.. :)

1589314734637.png

May 12, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,671 of 5,216
I resent that remark :ksc75smile:

I'm not nosy...annoying, pedantic, nit-picky...all of those, for sure. But nosy? I've never been accused of that. In fact, I tend to be the last to hear about stuff.

As far as "...wasn't talking to you..." it's a public message board. If you post, you're talking to everyone who reads it.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but your previous message, which I quoted, seemed pretty derisive. If I misinterpreted your comment, I apologize. But if you look back through the chain of messages you replied to, it seems like you're in agreement with @GU1DO in your reply to @mixman ... who, BTW, wasn't talking to you.

Anyway, enjoy your HifiMan headphones. I know I enjoy my HEKv2, and I'm looking forward to checking out the HEKse.

Seriously? Well congats, first time for everything.

yes I replied directly to a quote toward a specific user, I wasnt making a general statement and/or trolling ZMF owners (or any brand), if I did that I would have gone directly to ZMF thread. Sorry but thats call being nosy, you dont even own a HE1000se and yet here you are giving a sales pitch to ZMF product in a HE1000se thread.

I dont even know what you are referring to between me and GU1DO? What chain messages? how do you predetermined what my statement and intentions after one comment? I'm not even active in this thread, and probably haven't talk to anyone in here for a long time.

May 12, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,672 of 5,216
Seriously? Well congats, first time for everything.

yes I replied directly to a quote toward a specific user, I wasnt making a general statement and/or trolling ZMF owners (or any brand), if I did that I would have gone directly to ZMF thread. Sorry but thats call being nosy, you dont even own a HE1000se and yet here you are giving a sales pitch to ZMF product in a HE1000se thread.

I dont even know what you are referring to between me and GU1DO? What chain messages? how do you predetermined what my statement and intentions after one comment? I'm not even active in this thread, and probably haven't talk to anyone in here for a long time.
As I said, sorry if I misunderstood.

I was referring to the fact that you replied to a post by @mixman which was a direct reply to @GU1DO. I do wonder why my direct reply to you qualifies as 'nosy' while your direct reply to @mixman isn't?

But really, feel free to call me nosy if you want. No skin off my ... nose.

May 12, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,673 of 5,216
Much more than 4.. :)

1589314734637.png
OK, Not here to discuss or really defend ZMF but because of their unique business model that list of sales tells you nothing and may even lend credence to the fact that their sales are pretty high. People that buy them may sell for several reasons, They didn't like them(you cannot generally hear them before purchase), they own several other ZMF's, are just thinning the herd or are selling to upgrade......even the same model.....ie.... Verite Monkeypod to Verite LTD, Zircote to Purple Heart. So unlike most other brands that list tells you nothing about the popularity or lack thereof of ZMF.

Maybe this is a sign that sales are stagnant on the SE in that here we are giving several posts about ZMF? I can assure you they are not talking about the SE or any Hifiman in any of the ZMF threads and if the SE or Hifiman are mentioned it is a fleeting comment and that's it.

May 12, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,674 of 5,216
As I said, sorry if I misunderstood.

I was referring to the fact that you replied to a post by @mixman which was a direct reply to @GU1DO. I do wonder why my direct reply to you qualifies as 'nosy' while your direct reply to @mixman isn't?

But really, feel free to call me nosy if you want. No skin off my ... nose.

He’s being ridiculous. Nosey? This is a public forum. Anyone can reply or comment about anything to anyone. If he wants privacy, then he needs to send private messages to people.

May 12, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #1,675 of 5,216
OK, Not here to discuss or really defend ZMF but because of their unique business model that list of sales tells you nothing and may even lend credence to the fact that their sales are pretty high. People that buy them may sell for several reasons, They didn't like them(you cannot generally hear them before purchase), they own several other ZMF's, are just thinning the herd or are selling to upgrade......even the same model.....ie.... Verite Monkeypod to Verite LTD, Zircote to Purple Heart. So unlike most other brands that list tells you nothing about the popularity or lack thereof of ZMF.

Maybe this is a sign that sales are stagnant on the SE in that here we are giving several posts about ZMF? I can assure you they are not talking about the SE or any Hifiman in any of the ZMF threads and if the SE or Hifiman are mentioned it is a fleeting comment and that's it.

Well I didn't intend that to be a jab at ZMF, I'm just providing some facts related to his claim. Of course used listings have no correlation to 'popularity'. I had the VO for a long time and think it competes w/ any flagship, if you factor price it's probably the best bang for buck as well. Ultimately I wouldn't take VO over SE/Susvara but it's a close call.

May 13, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,676 of 5,216
Guys i want to clarify one thing , my criticism is only on the Aeolus , i never tried any other model from ZMF and i would never criticize anything i never tried , when i said this brand is over hyped is only because i found a buyer after listing it for a few hours , i didnt say anything bad about any other model , only the Aeolus though i dont think i would try other ZMF anytime soon just because i see a lot of people say how great is the build and craftsmanship of the Aeolus and tbh i didnt experience that in my pair , it was rough built all around , and the sound wasn't matching the 1200$ i paid , maybe the the upper models are better and worth its price tag , i dont know and i am not in a position to judge it, i think i didnt chose the right words , i should have said hyped only which is a fact and true about ZMF here in headfi, is the upper models meet the hype, maybe , but the Aeolus is over hyped for sure and didint meet my expectations.

May 13, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,677 of 5,216
Guys i want to clarify one thing , my criticism is only on the Aeolus , i never tried any other model from ZMF and i would never criticize anything i never tried , when i said this brand is over hyped is only because i found a buyer after listing it for a few hours , i didnt say anything bad about any other model , only the Aeolus though i dont think i would try other ZMF anytime soon just because i see a lot of people say how great is the build and craftsmanship of the Aeolus and tbh i didnt experience that in my pair , it was rough built all around , and the sound wasn't matching the 1200$ i paid , maybe the the upper models are better and worth its price tag , i dont know and i am not in a position to judge it, i think i didnt chose the right words , i should have said hyped only which is a fact and true about ZMF here in headfi, is the upper models meet the hype, maybe , but the Aeolus is over hyped for sure and didint meet my expectations.
Thanks for the clarification.

Personally I haven’t been tempted by Aeolus as I don’t think it would match my preferences sound-wise.

May 15, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,680 of 5,216
in case anyone wondering....Violectric 281+Chord hugo 2 on red filter+HE1000se is =99% Susvara. The extra warmth from both amp and the mild high freq rolls off seems to really get the HE1000se there. Hard choice of deciding what to keep between the pair.

It's good to know that the HE1000se plays on a similar level as the Susvara (well, at least to your ears) if taken care for the fine-tuning. I've had an encounter with the latter during almost an hour at my dealer, comparing it to my then HE1000 with V2 pads, both driven by the DAVE. However, it wasn't a fair fight, as I used a carefully elaborated EQ curve for the HE1000, while the Susvara had to content itself with an improvised ad-hoc curve. Anyway, I preferred my HE1000 in this comparison. In a later audition I compared the Susvara with itself, once driven by the DAVE directly, once driven by the HiFiMan EF1000. It wasn't really a contest: I preferred the direct connection by a great margin, the EF1000 sounded way too soft and slow. This just to show my sonic preference in case someone thinks I haven't heard the Susvara at its full potential.

If I were you, I would have the Hugo₂ drive the HE1000 (an easy load!) directly, without the detour via headphone amp. A good equalizer is the better sound-effect device than a useless additional amplification stage, the more so in view of Rob's care for an ultra-short signal path in the interest of ultimate transparency and accuracy within his creations, also considering the Hugo₂'s exemplarily low output-impedance and harmonic-distortion figures. It would be a shame to sacrifice all these virtues.

Personally I have found the ideal source a few weeks ago: a FiiO M11 Pro, since recently equipped with the Neutron Player app that offers a bunch of parametric equalizer options – in 64 bit! For the HE1000se (with Norne Silvergarde S3) driven by the Hugo₂ my settings look like this:

Neutron-EQ-curve for HE1000se.JPG

Another weakness of your configuration – as I see it – is the red filter on your Hugo₂. It only uses the WTA1 filter, which means that you just get a fraction of the 49,152 taps, one of its design highlights. Better use white or green instead, which imply WTA2.

My main system around the HE1000se looks like this: FiiO M11 Pro / Neutron Player / parametric EQ – Hugo M Scaler – Wave Storm dual-data BNC cables – Chord DAVE – Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 – HE1000se. For me it is a dream come true: virtually perfect reproduction of live sound in every respect, particularly spectacular spatial depth and uncolored instrument timbres, extreme transparency and resolution, unvarnished accuracy – with just a bit of the spatial cues missing that a headphone can't reproduce compared to being in a concert hall. And I can tell you: the Hugo₂ comes really close.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back