Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 16, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,711 of 5,212
I had the Abyss Phoi’s and preferred the Susvara’s by quite a bit. At the time, I had the Pro iCan, which drove both very, very well. When I added xbass to the Susvara’s the bass not only matched the Phi’s but was more detailed and nuanced. Then there was comfort, which was no contes. The Susvara’s won that battle hands down. What really got me to choose the Susvara’s over the Phi’s was the midrange. The Susvara’s Midrange made the Phi’s midrange sound recessed and the headphone as a whole sound V-Shaped. So I sold the Phi’s.

The TC’s fixed everything I disliked about the sound of Phi’s. The fit issue still remains, but is a slight compromise because they sound so darn good. The HEKse’s fall in the group of headphones right under these two. In a way, they are their own headphone with their own sound. Taken in that context, the HEKse is a really and I mean really, great headphone. With a cable upgrade and some system matching, you can really transform these headphones. The fact that they are easy to drive in a bonus.
Thanks Slim for the comparison. So I guess you are saying if I do the 1266, just go all the way to the TC? How do your Diana Phi stack up against the SE and Susvara.

Some great points there. And I agree with you. I am trying to zero in on the sonics, quality level and detail, not so much the personal experience between the two mediums.
IMO the gap between top 2 channel and top HPs has narrowed a LOT in the last 10 years. If you notice, there are quite a few respected 2 channel audio magazine reviewers who are openly wow'd and own top end HPs now. This is all good. I try to avoid the 2 channels guys who write-off HPs as a poor mans hifi. They are old school and not up to date IMO.

Some 2 channel reviewers who have 'seen the light'. There are many more, and it is all good IMO.

Steve Guttenberg:

John Atkinson:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/audeze-lcd-4-headphones

I started on two channels over 30 yrs ago when I imported my Linn Sondek from the UK. Back then, headphones were not considered suitable for audiophiles, only casual listening and studio use. Fast forward and currently they are true audiophile listening devices and generally give you a better bang for buck than speakers. They do not replace speakers but are a lot easier to deal with than speaker setup, room acoustics and space adjustments.

I left 2 channel audio a long time ago not having the time nor inclination to sit betwen two speakers and listen to my music anymore. My Martin Logans are strictly for home theater now. With headphones I can enjoy music in a more intimate fashion, but be mobile also.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,712 of 5,212
SE really does take you 90%+ to Susvara, that last 10% is probably not worth the exponential cost to most especially if you compound the amp requirements. But no regrets here, the Susvara is pretty magical.
actually, given that the susvara are the older HP their price on a relative basis has come down enough to make the cost difference less daunting....you can now find well cared for susvara's selling the low to mid 3000s and to me that is a bargain in today crazy audio world....as an example and not picking on the empyrean but if I have a choice of of a mint susvara at say 3300 dollars or buying a new empyrean I go for the susvara without hesitation

May 16, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,713 of 5,212
actually, given that the susvara are the older HP their price on a relative basis has come down enough to make the cost difference less daunting....you can now find well cared for susvara's selling the low to mid 3000s and to me that is a bargain in today crazy audio world....as an example and not picking on the empyrean but if I have a choice of of a mint susvara at say 3300 dollars or buying a new empyrean I go for the susvara without hesitation
Same for the Empy, nobody is or should be paying $3k for them I paid far less for a "demo" from an authorized dealer. Even the TC can be had for a slight discount.

May 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,714 of 5,212

True but add on a 2-5K amp for Susvara compared to plugging the SE into your phone.. :)

May 16, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,715 of 5,212
True but add on a 2-5K amp for Susvara compared to plugging the SE into your phone.. :)
Yeah for the system many have talked about lately here: Susvara $3,700 + Bakoon $6,000 + Decent cable $500 = $10,200 !!!

May 16, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,716 of 5,212
Yeah for the system many have talked about lately here: Susvara $3,700 + Bakoon $6,000 + Decent cable $500 = $10,200 !!!

giphy (1).gif

May 16, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,717 of 5,212
one doesnt need a 6K amp to enjoy the susvara.....the fact that some will add that amp doesnt make it a necessity

May 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,718 of 5,212
Thanks Slim for the comparison. So I guess you are saying if I do the 1266, just go all the way to the TC? How do your Diana Phi stack up against the SE and Susvara.

I started on two channels over 30 yrs ago when I imported my Linn Sondek from the UK. Back then, headphones were not considered suitable for audiophiles, only casual listening and studio use. Fast forward and currently they are true audiophile listening devices and generally give you a better bang for buck than speakers. They do not replace speakers but are a lot easier to deal with than speaker setup, room acoustics and space adjustments.

I left 2 channel audio a long time ago not having the time nor inclination to sit betwen two speakers and listen to my music anymore. My Martin Logans are strictly for home theater now. With headphones I can enjoy music in a more intimate fashion, but be mobile also.
Yes, go straight for the TC’s. That way you can avoid buyer’s remorse.

I was DM’ing a friend earlier with my thoughts on the Diana Phi’s, HEKse's, and Susvara’s. I’ll repeat a lot of what I said to him. The Diana Phi’s are unique sounding. You’d never expect that kind of sound to come from them upon first glance. Put them on and it’s an eye opening experience. The level of detail, clarity, speed, punch, resolution and P.R.A.T is outstanding. Add in the build quality, fit, finish, and portability factor and you have an almost perfect headphone.

The HEKse’s are equally as impressive. They sound very similar to the Diana Phi’s with maybe a little more sub bass energy. They are both silky smooth across the midrange. The HEKse’s have a little upper mid/lower treble emphasis giving instruments a little more sheen/sparkle than the Diana Phi’s. The Diana Phi’s have a more natural sounding treble with spot on clarity and detail.

The Susvara’s, like the TC’s, are hard to fault. Much of what I said about Diana’s Phi’s can be said for the Susvara’s. Add in a better sense of space between each note, one of the most accurate midrange on any headphone, 3D holographic imaging, better bass depth, more bass definition, texture, and layering then you have the Susvara’s. Contrary to what been said about needing a speaker amp to drive them, you don’t. My Conductor 3XR drives them beautifully.

On a side note, TC’s have the most speaker like presentation I’ve ever heard. To keep it simple, take what I said about the Susvara’s and add in a bigger, a more authoritative bass response with impact and slam, more overall dynamics and a wider soundstage. They’re simply unreal.

May 16, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,719 of 5,212
the abyss TC is otherworldly

May 17, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,721 of 5,212
I heard the sr1a at canjam....as an owner of the TC I was curious....I always admit upfront that it is impossible to truly pass judgment on anything in that environment but I must admit I found them lacking relative to the TC...they are interesting and definitely something that I might investigate more seriously in the future but I found the bottom end lacking and I found the whole amp thing too difficult to deal with.....

May 17, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,722 of 5,212
You obviously haven't heard the Raal Sr1a. :relaxed:
I have, they were hooked up to a Hegel amp when I demoed them. I thought they sounded really thin and lacked body. They were nowhere near the level of the Susvara's or TC's. The Sonoma One system I thought sound much better than the SR1a's as well.

May 17, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,723 of 5,212
You obviously haven't heard the Raal Sr1a. :relaxed:
I will also agree here that the SRA1 for me sounds too thin and and just lacks too much bass to be considered a true TOTL HP. Because of this, I believe it is too limited in the music styles that it will be beneficial for.

May 18, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,724 of 5,212
I haven’t heard SR1A but the description of their sound reminds me of the K1000 headphone that I owned over 15 years ago. It had a big soundstage and excellent imaging but sounded thin and lacked bass. I powered them with a 100 W/ch speaker amp. I even tried connecting my REL subwoofer to the system but that kinda defeated the purpose of private listening with headphones. If I want speaker like sound, I just listen to either of my 2 speaker based systems. That said, I enjoy my headphones for their unique presentation.

May 19, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,725 of 5,212
HEKse in the house (well, office actually).

Listening via Hiby R6 Pro. Can't wait to get home and listen via Gumby/DSHA-3F.

HEKv2 on the sales block :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back