Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 2, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,546 of 5,215
Let the fun begin......... I can say that they are definitely kindred spirits

IMG_0355.jpg
There you go. Same upgrade I was thinking about. Somewhat different tonal balances?

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,547 of 5,215
There you go. Same upgrade I was thinking about. Somewhat different tonal balances?

Amp requirements aside, my recollection is that they are more similar than different. The most memorable distinction for me is that the HEKse is more energetic on treble so a touch brighter. Susvara felt more organic especially with mid range timbre, and ultimately edges ahead on resolution. I'd be happy to settle w/ the HEKse any day but can't deny that Susvara is the better, more refined headphone.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,548 of 5,215
Exactly the Susvara is warmer and like you said a more organic midrange yet has better resolution. It is more relaxed sounding whereas the SE sounds more analytical. I also felt that while Susvara Soundspace is a touch smaller than the SE the imaging is more precise and more 3D. Thinking of making the leap from the SE to the Susvara, although I have been finding myself moving away from the Hifiman sound lately.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,549 of 5,215
I'm going to agree with @koven based on early impressions. I'm having a difficult time trying to volume match these two headphones when using the same source. The HE1000se's are definitely a lot easier to drive. When switching back and forth, it makes it seem like the HE1000se is the better headphone. But once you let your ears adjust and get the Susvara's up to a suitable listening level it traits begin to shine.

The Susvara is more 3D/holographic, it has a little more sub bass energy, bass depth and definition. The Susvara's are a touch clearer in the midrange with better balance in lower and upper midrange frequencies. You really have to listen hard to pick it out. The Susvara's treble is more airy and smoother. They both are excellent at detail retrieval but the Susvara's does edge out the HE1000se in spaciousness, imaging, transparency and staging. The Susvara is quicker and slightly more dynamic but damn is the HE1000se's close. The Susvara's have estat like speed and transparency, it's amazing to hear from a planar.

But to answer your question about tonal balances, all I can say is I hear a lot of the Susvara's in the HE1000se's. The HE1000se's might have a little more bass kick and treble energy. So in this regard, they are different. It's actually what I was hoping for. I did not want them to sound exactly like the Susvara's and it doesn't. The HE1000se's are so much easier to drive, which opens them up to a ton of different sources unlike the Susvara's. I tried the HE1000se's out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0, the Gilmor Like Mk2 and I can hear each of those amps sound signature. So the the HE1000se's are very revealing headphones and that's a good thing. I'm going to give them a listen out of the Hugo 2 and Burson Conductor 3X at some point. But I'm enjoying them Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 pairing the most at the moment.

I'll say this, if the Susvara's did not exist, the HE1000se's would be Hifiman's top planar headphone. It's so good! But listening to them both, the Susvara's is still top dog when driven properly.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,550 of 5,215
I'm going to agree with @koven based on early impressions. I'm having a difficult time trying to volume match these two headphones when using the same source. The HE1000se's are definitely a lot easier to drive. When switching back and forth, it makes it seem like the HE1000se is the better headphone. But once you let your ears adjust and get the Susvara's up to a suitable listening level it traits begin to shine.

The Susvara is more 3D/holographic, it has a little more sub bass energy, bass depth and definition. The Susvara's are a touch clearer in the midrange with better balance in lower and upper midrange frequencies. You really have to listen hard to pick it out. The Susvara's treble is more airy and smoother. They both are excellent at detail retrieval but the Susvara's does edge out the HE1000se in spaciousness, imaging, transparency and staging. The Susvara is quicker and slightly more dynamic but damn is the HE1000se's close. The Susvara's have estat like speed and transparency, it's amazing to hear from a planar.

But to answer your question about tonal balances, all I can say is I hear a lot of the Susvara's in the HE1000se's. The HE1000se's might have a little more bass kick and treble energy. So in this regard, they are different. It's actually what I was hoping for. I did not want them to sound exactly like the Susvara's and it doesn't. The HE1000se's are so much easier to drive, which opens them up to a ton of different sources unlike the Susvara's. I tried the HE1000se's out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0, the Gilmor Like Mk2 and I can hear each of those amps sound signature. So the the HE1000se's are very revealing headphones and that's a good thing. I'm going to give them a listen out of the Hugo 2 and Burson Conductor 3X at some point. But I'm enjoying them Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 pairing the most at the moment.

I'll say this, if the Susvara's did not exist, the HE1000se's would be Hifiman's top planar headphone. It's so good! But listening to them both, the Susvara's is still top dog when driven properly.
See my description above. I think we pretty much all agree on the differences between the two. One surprising thing though is the Susvara can easily driven by a THX 789 and you will still hear its superiority over the SE. Is that an ideal amp, no, but it can be done and the THX was not straining, but yes the fact that the SE can by driven by any DAP or portable is a big advantage over the Susvara as far as flexibility.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,551 of 5,215
the thing that strikes me about the sound stage of the susvara is the depth....the soundstage isnt as wide as the abyss for example but it is deeper and the pinpoint accuracy of particular instruments is extraordinary

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,552 of 5,215
See my description above. I think we pretty much all agree on the differences between the two. One surprising thing though is the Susvara can easily driven by a THX 789 and you will still hear its superiority over the SE. Is that an ideal amp, no, but it can be done and the THX was not straining, but yes the fact that the SE can by driven by any DAP or portable is a big advantage over the Susvara as far as flexibility.
It's actually plays in the HE1000se's favor. If you're not looking for the ultimate in sound then the much easier to drive HE1000se's to me are no brainer. It's get you very close to Susvara levels of sound quality. I can't think of headphone in this price range I would take over it. It does everything exceptionally well and that's right out the box with very little burn-in with stock cable. I'm not sure an aftermarket cable would net you much gain from what I'm hearing.

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,553 of 5,215
the thing that strikes me about the sound stage of the susvara is the depth....the soundstage isnt as wide as the abyss for example but it is deeper and the pinpoint accuracy of particular instruments is extraordinary
The TC's will be my last headphone purchase. Now that I have the HE1000se's, I have enough variety in my collection to fit any mode that I'm in. But you are correct about the Susvara's. It's and amazing headphone but the HE1000se's are in the ballpark and I'm a fan!

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,554 of 5,215
It's actually plays in the HE1000se's favor. If you're not looking for the ultimate in sound then the much easier to drive HE1000se's to me are no brainer. It's get you very close to Susvara levels of sound quality. I can't think of headphone in this price range I would take over it. It does everything exceptionally well and that's right out the box with very little burn-in with stock cable. I'm not sure an aftermarket cable would net you much gain from what I'm hearing.
Yes, that is why I am so on the fence as to upgrading. I can use the SE straight off my IPad if I need to. Also, with the difference in price I can buy another pair of HP’s or an amp. Now, I do know of some that do not mind the sound of the Susvara, but think the SE are a touch too bright. I don’t mind that extra zip at the top, but I know some do.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,555 of 5,215
(...) I'm not sure an aftermarket cable would net you much gain from what I'm hearing.
Lavricables Master Silver, Grand and Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 have a very positive effect in my system compared to the stock cables, with the Silvergarde on top due to the best imaging and high-frequency extension. If I were you I wouldn't stop with the stock cables. They don't offer the smoothness and resolution of the aftermarket cables. Even my old reterminated Silver Dragon sounds clearly better.

BTW, the hinted «brightness» of the HE1000se isn't a problem for me, I equalize anyway. That's why I'm curious how close it could get to an optimally equalized Susvara. That said, I don't really plan to go this route, the HE1000se already sounds so good driven by my m-scaled DAVE.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,556 of 5,215
Yes, that is why I am so on the fence as to upgrading. I can use the SE straight off my IPad if I need to. Also, with the difference in price I can buy another pair of HP’s or an amp. Now, I do know of some that do not mind the sound of the Susvara, but think the SE are a touch too bright. I don’t mind that extra zip at the top, but I know some do.
That's a tough decision and I understand the itch to upgrade. I'm lucky enough to have owned the Susvara's first. But the HE1000se's aren't really a downgrade. They're just different and belong in the upper echelon of current headphone offerings.

Oddly enough, I like the treble on the HE1000se's so far. My hearing could be shot working around stamping presses all day. It could also be the LC 2.0 pairing. It's a warm sounding, but very detailed little amp. It pairs very well with the HE1000se and Diana Phi's using the balanced output.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,557 of 5,215
Lavricables Master Silver, Grand and Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 have a very positive effect in my system compared to the stock cables, with the Silvergarde on top due to the best imaging and high-frequency extension. If I were you I wouldn't stop with the stock cables. They don't offer the smoothness and resolution of the aftermarket cables. Even my old reterminated Silver Dragon sounds clearly better.

BTW, the hinted «brightness» of the HE1000se isn't a problem for me, I equalize anyway. That's why I'm curious how close it could get to an optimally equalized Susvara. That said, I don't really plan to go this route, the HE1000se already sounds so good driven by my m-scaled DAVE.
I'm working on getting the TT2 and mScaler. I'm sure the pairing is a step up from the Hugo 2 that I own. I really like how easy the HE1000se's are to drive.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,558 of 5,215

I do like the looks of the Norne Silvergarde S3 cable. I'm also considering the Draug V3 or the new Draug 3SC

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,559 of 5,215
My suggestion to anyone who thinks the HEKse treble leans a bit bright is to dump the stock cable immediately! That thing is junk. I use the Lazuli Refence but I’d bet just about any aftermarket cable is gonna be a significant improvement to the SE’s sound and the way it handles treble in particular.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,560 of 5,215
My suggestion to anyone who thinks the HEKse treble leans a bit bright is to dump the stock cable immediately! That thing is junk. I use the Lazuli Refence but I’d bet just about any aftermarket cable is gonna be a significant improvement to the SE’s sound and the way it handles treble in particular.
I had a Danacable for my Utopia’s and I liked what it did for those headphones. What sound improvements are you hearing with the Danacable on the HE1000se’s? On the Utopia’s it improved soundstage, bass and tamed the treble. The HE1000se’s doesn’t have those issues. So I’m curious to know what you’re hearing with the Danacable on the HE1000se’s, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back