Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #1,516 of 5,212
I've been with my Susvara for 6 months now, and as a previous HEkse owner, I was very reluctant to upgrade. I had the chance to hear hekv2, se, empyrean and susvara off the flagship auris headamps last march, and convinced my self to get on board with susvara even if it wasn't significantly better.

What a great decision it was, because the Susvara was so much better on my Modified MC225 amp back at home, off speaker taps with hifiman box. It becomes an absolute different beast, and I hate hyperbole. I genuinely believe my Susvara's sound better off the taps of my lowly yamaga rx-a660 home theater taps than it does on a flagship 5k auris amplifier... It's all about power requirements.

HEKse is arguably better in some facets if driven from my THX 789 on high gain than Susvsra (stage height, bass presence), but the Susvara still sound better albeit marginally. But if you're doing this with Susvara, you're really doing it wrong.

I'm thinking of now selling my HE6 and K1000 to either get an SR1a, or simply complement my Susvara with another HEKse

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #1,517 of 5,212
I enjoy both, my Utopia & V2 equally.
Please, keep us posted on your preference between the SE & Susvara, I'm looking forward to it.

I'd agree about the Susvara having great transparency, but like you, my favorite headphones as mentioned above are the V2 (in my case) & Utopia..
I'm currently eating for my HEDDphone to arrive, so this is part of the reason for not trading my V2 for the SE as well.

Keep in mind the HEKSE is slightly V shaped
favoring the very high treble (12k+). From my short demo of the v2 it was not like that.

So you better have smooth or rolled off chain or you can just handle it or old enough to not hear it :).

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,518 of 5,212
I've been with my Susvara for 6 months now, and as a previous HEkse owner, I was very reluctant to upgrade. I had the chance to hear hekv2, se, empyrean and susvara off the flagship auris headamps last march, and convinced my self to get on board with susvara even if it wasn't significantly better.

What a great decision it was, because the Susvara was so much better on my Modified MC225 amp back at home, off speaker taps with hifiman box. It becomes an absolute different beast, and I hate hyperbole. I genuinely believe my Susvara's sound better off the taps of my lowly yamaga rx-a660 home theater taps than it does on a flagship 5k auris amplifier... It's all about power requirements.

HEKse is arguably better in some facets if driven from my THX 789 on high gain than Susvsra (stage height, bass presence), but the Susvara still sound better albeit marginally. But if you're doing this with Susvara, you're really doing it wrong.

I'm thinking of now selling my HE6 and K1000 to either get an SR1a, or simply complement my Susvara with another HEKse

With the Susvara's, I get better than SR-009 resolution, speed and detail, incredible transparency and wonderfully rich ortho bass...it is have your cake and eat it too!

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,519 of 5,212
I've had THX 789 and He1000SE, why would you use it on high gain? It almost ever need low gain with balanced, what i'm pretty sure it's that susvara need the high gain. Try compare He1000se in low gain, and susvara in high gain! That would make more sense :)

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,520 of 5,212
I've had THX 789 and He1000SE, why would you use it on high gain? It almost ever need low gain with balanced, what i'm pretty sure it's that susvara need the high gain. Try compare He1000se in low gain, and susvara in high gain! That would make more sense :)
Yes absolutely, I got confused. Susvara required high gain. HEKse from memory I'd listen on medium gain around 10 oclock? Perhaps I was on low gain, I vaguely remember, but they're quite efficient it's impressive.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,521 of 5,212
Having spent some time with the HEKse, I'm beyond impressed. Sure the resolution, accuracy and imaging are great, but holy cow the bass! I've never heard bass anywhere near that tight. It's just a joy to listen to, and I'm totally gutted I ended up in a situation where I have to sell them. Sometimes life just gets in the way of anything fun.

They do seem to need power. My NX4DSD really isn't enough to make them sing properly. SMSL SP200 however impressed me. It's a really fine combination!

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,522 of 5,212
I’ll be getting these within the next week or so. What the best cable option for these, all silver or all copper?

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,523 of 5,212
I’ll be getting these within the next week or so. What the best cable option for these, all silver or all copper?

I think either all silver or all copper would be fine, provided they're good quality : I personally use the following cables with mine, and none of them has disappointed me yet:'

Norne Audio Silvergarde S and S3,
Norne Audio Draug V3
Duelund DCA20GA copper cable.

I personally prefer the Silvergardes by a hair, but it is only because, they have a slight (and ohh so slight edge) for the types of music I normally listen to. YMMV. The other two cables are no slouches either. It seems to me you cannot go wrong with any ot the above cables. although, depending on the types of music you usually listen to, you might prefer one of them slightly above the rest.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,524 of 5,212
If you can deal with Norne audio delay oh man his cables are the best , i am using Draug V3 with my HD800S and i liked it more than the Danacable lazuli reference , I am expecting Draug V3 for the HEKSE since last December and i bet it will be as good as my Kimber Axios if not better.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,525 of 5,212
Thanks @sahmen and @guido for the responses. I do like Norne Audio cables and I was leaning towards the Silvergarde S3 initially. I do like to hear details in my music. I also like a good low end without sacrificing to much top end clarity. If the SIvergarde S3 can provide that then I'll just go with that one. Reading the post in this thread has me a little concerned about the HE1000se's top end. In that regard, I know the Draug V3 will tame the treble and give men the low end I want. So I'm not sure which way I want to go with my HE1000se's when I get them.

The stock cable is a hybrid. It will be the same cable that came with my HE6se's. The cable is functional, but may not look the best. I also can't tell you what the sleeve is made out of. With that said, it doesn't take anything away from the HE6se's sound wise. I'm sure I could improve the sound in some way with an upgraded cable though.

Also @sahmen I like all types of music. I want a cable that will get the most out of a mixture of musical genres. I'll give the stock cable a go simply because I don't have any other cables for my HE1000se's at the moment. Decisions, decisions.......

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,527 of 5,212
Nice.
Looking forward to reading your impressions.
By any chance have you owned the HEKv2 prior?
Yes, I had them before I upgraded to the Susvara’s. The HEKv2’s has gorgeous tone and body. This is what sets them apart from the Susvara’s sound. I’m hoping to get that same sound from the HE1000se’s. I know the HE1000se’s borrows a lot of tech from the Susvara’s. So I’m expecting them to sound more like the Susvara’s than the V2’s. But I’m really hoping that HE1000se’s splits the difference between the two. Then I’ll have a real winner in my collection.

As it’s stands right now, the Susvara’s are still my #1 headphone. Followed by the Diana Phi’s. They are so dang sweet sounding and have similar traits as the Susvara but don’t quite have fullness of sound as them. The HE1000se’s should fall somewhere in between these two. I’ll know for sure next week.

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,528 of 5,212
Can't wait for your comparison to the Susvara

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,529 of 5,212
Yes, I had them before I upgraded to the Susvara’s. The HEKv2’s has gorgeous tone and body. This is what sets them apart from the Susvara’s sound. I’m hoping to get that same sound from the HE1000se’s. I know the HE1000se’s borrows a lot of tech from the Susvara’s. So I’m expecting them to sound more like the Susvara’s than the V2’s. But I’m really hoping that HE1000se’s splits the difference between the two. Then I’ll have a real winner in my collection.

As it’s stands right now, the Susvara’s are still my #1 headphone. Followed by the Diana Phi’s. They are so dang sweet sounding and have similar traits as the Susvara but don’t quite have fullness of sound as them. The HE1000se’s should fall somewhere in between these two. I’ll know for sure next week.
The Susvara should be be warmer with better imaging. I do believe the Susvara is clearly better, but whether the difference in street price is worth it is up to the individual. I go back and forth, especially since the SE are easier to drive and can be used on any rig.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,530 of 5,212

I recommend that you let the HE1000se burn in substantially before you compare it to other headphones. Out of the box it didn’t sound very good and not as good as the HE1000v2. After 50 hour it started to sound better but I could hear improvements after 120 hours as well.

HE1000se and Susvara are more similar than different sounding, whereas Diana Phi has a sound of their own that doesn’t sound alike IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back