Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,501 of 5,189
Gotta admit I just can't get into the SR1a at all. They just sound too lean to me. In any configuration I just found the bass too lacking I also think they are brighter sounding than the HEK SE, especially since they do not have the bass output to offset the upper mids and treble.
Probably you didn't get a good fit as the sr1a sound far from lean. But I also took about two weeks to find a appropriate fit with them, so I understand that can happen with anyone.

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,502 of 5,189
Probably you didn't get a good fit as the sr1a sound far from lean. But I also took about two weeks to find a appropriate fit with them, so I understand that can happen with anyone.
My head is too big for those too. But I loved the sound. The pads on the frame were digging into my head.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,503 of 5,189
Didn't have a problem with the fit, just the sound. Not what I would call comfortable either but It would do. Also the problem is between the the SR1a and the Jot R you are nearing 1266 money. I would take the 1266 over the SR1a's for sure and both have kind of an odd fit.

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,504 of 5,189
just sharing my adoration for he1000se, and the honey period is way long over, as now its a solid fact HE1000SE is my favourite headphone of all time period. I adore it, it puts all my previous flagships to shame. And I am so happy to own this masterpiece. My adoration to HE1000SE is going to be a long term one.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,505 of 5,189
I’ll be getting a pair of HE1000se’s soon as I’m fan of the Hifiman sound. They offer a lot of the sound qualities of the Susvara’s in a much easier to drive package. I owned the HEK V2’s before upgrading to the Susvara’s but I always missed the warm, smooth, airy sound of them. The HEKse’s are a mixture of both to my ears. They could easily be my #1 headphone. As it stands now I’ll have some great listening options once I get them in hand.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,507 of 5,189
I owned the HEK V2’s before upgrading to the Susvara’s but I always missed the warm, smooth, airy sound of them. The HEKse’s are a mixture of both to my ears.
I owned both, the HEKv2 & Susvara at the same time and preferred the HEKv2, so parted with the Susvara.
I recently heard the SE at CJNYC and thought it sounded very nice under the show circumstances. I don't want to just trade my v2 for the SE without listening to both on my own systems, so I may borrow the SE from TCC to hear which I prefer.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,508 of 5,189
I owned both, the HEKv2 & Susvara at the same time and preferred the HEKv2, so parted with the Susvara.
I recently heard the SE at CJNYC and thought it sounded very nice under the show circumstances. I don't want to just trade my v2 for the SE without listening to both on my own systems, so I may borrow the SE from TCC to hear which I prefer.
Last year at the Highend show in Munich, I went twice to the Hifiman booth, especially to compare the Susvara against the HE1000se. I really couldn't tell a huge difference, but what assured me that it weren't my older ears unable to hear the differences in sound, were two young audiophiles, maybe 25 years of age, so their ears should still be in pretty good shape.
I overheard their conversation, were they came to the same conclusion, that both headphones sounded pretty similar.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #1,509 of 5,189

I have compered the HE1000v2 against the Susvara and to me the Susvara was clearly better sounding, no question about it.

Susvara has a bit smoother treble, is overall a touch more refined and do image/placement clearly better than HE1000se. The Susvara however is a bit too smooth and polite/mellow sounding IMO.

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,510 of 5,189
I have many cables for he1000se

norne draug 3 --- 8 core
neotech 16 core
cardas 8 core

All sound good, until a friend of mine made me a cable using Duelund cable and that took the he1000se to a total new level of sound. The sound is better than any of those cables mentioned above by a big mile, more body, hint of warmth, bigger sound stage, better bass response and highs are perfect with this cable. Its effect on HE1000SE is the best I ever heard my SE period using chord hugo tt2, This is the first time I totally endorse a cable ever as I am not a cable believer but this took the HE1000SE to a whole new level, yes all the other 3 cables improved on sound compared to stock cable, but this duelund is something that in my opinion is the best fit for he1000se

My friend did it as a diy cable for me as he uses those for interconnects so it can not bought from anywhere but if you know how to make cables then dueland should be on your top list

https://duelundaudio.com/cable/

greetings

I know before I used to talk bout my cable and it was made by someone locally and some of you asked from where it can be bought, coincidentally I saw an add from a guy selling a duelund cable which was made by
a company in UK who made a duelund cable for him

https://oidiosound.co.uk/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-duelund-zmf-audeze-empyrean-heddphone-cable.925560/

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,511 of 5,189
The one thing I liked more about the hekse vs the Susvara is that at higher volumes the hekse really rumbles in the bass area. You can feel the bass on your face.
How close, in your opinion, does the bass of the HE1000se comes to the bass of the Abyss 1266 TC?
I think that outside the bass area, there are a lot of cheaper TOTL headphones around. I have the feeling that people who have to be more "money conscious" and cannot or are not willing to pay these outrageous prices an Abyss HP demands, are looking for such a headphone with 90% of the Abyss bass, but excelling in the mids and treble area, for 30% less than the Abyss.
A lot of people like myself were hoping that the new Heddphone would deliver, but from what I read, quite a few new owners feel that the bass of the commercial version is not as full as the prototype version's bass.
So what are the options? Which HP do come close to the Abyss bass with beautiful mids and treble?
One TOTL headphone we seldom read about is the Final Audio D8000 Pro.
But people seem to be divided with its bass performance. Some feel it's almost perfect, but I have also read that some audiophiles say it has very little bass.
So many questions, I know.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,512 of 5,189
I overheard their conversation, were they came to the same conclusion, that both headphones sounded pretty similar.
I would agree with this in the short time I listened under the meet conditions, but I thought the SE had a more intimate midrange which I enjoy.

The Susvara however is a bit too smooth and polite/mellow sounding IMO.
I agree with what you say about the pros of the Susvara, but in the end I chose the v2 due to the above.
I did miss my Susvara after selling it for it's excellent traits and considered purchasing it again, but now after hearing the SE I think I'd go this route instead because if I felt so strongly about the Susvara to begin with, I wouldn't have sold it. I was more wowed with the v2 than the Susvara right from the beginning.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,513 of 5,189
I would agree with this in the short time I listened under the meet conditions, but I thought the SE had a more intimate midrange which I enjoy.

I agree with what you say about the pros of the Susvara, but in the end I chose the v2 due to the above.
I did miss my Susvara after selling it for it's excellent traits and considered purchasing it again, but now after hearing the SE I think I'd go this route instead because if I felt so strongly about the Susvara to begin with, I wouldn't have sold it. I was more wowed with the v2 than the Susvara right from the beginning.
The V2’s were/are outstanding headphones. When I had the Utopia’s I preferred the V2’s sound signature to it. The SE’s just do what the V2’s can do but better. It’s going to be tough holding on to them and the Susvara’s. I’m going to really put both through some extensive listening tests to see if I have a need to keep both.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,514 of 5,189
The V2’s were/are outstanding headphones. When I had the Utopia’s I preferred the V2’s sound signature to it. The SE’s just do what the V2’s can do but better. It’s going to be tough holding on to them and the Susvara’s. I’m going to really put both through some extensive listening tests to see if I have a need to keep both.
Let us know. I have the utopia, empyreans, hekse and a few more.

i was wondering if the susvaras are worth looking at (by selling some other gear)

i have demoed the susvaras and found them exceptional “transparent“ at a level i have never heard before.
currently my most special/ detailed/magical headphones are the hekse and the utopia (when the recordings right)

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #1,515 of 5,189
I enjoy both, my Utopia & V2 equally.
Please, keep us posted on your preference between the SE & Susvara, I'm looking forward to it.

i have demoed the susvaras and found them exceptional “transparent“ at a level i have never heard before.
currently my most special/ detailed/magical headphones are the hekse and the utopia (when the recordings right)
I'd agree about the Susvara having great transparency, but like you, my favorite headphones as mentioned above are the V2 (in my case) & Utopia..
I'm currently eating for my HEDDphone to arrive, so this is part of the reason for not trading my V2 for the SE as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back