Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,486 of 5,211
I read your post about enjoying the TC/WA33 the most, so I'm assuming you're going to purchase the TC, correct?
How do you feel about the HEKse & Susvara in comparison to each other?
Right now if I was to make a purchase then I still don’t know. Sound quality-wise the TC just edged out the Susvara and everything else. Now if money wasn’t an issue and the Heddphone fit I would buy it in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed it. I liked the hekse too. It’s definitely one of the most comfortable cans I’ve tried on. It’s truly a hard decision, because I’ll only be able to buy one.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,487 of 5,211
Jack told me that only the middle big tube was replaced. The rest of the wa33 was standard.
So, the center tube is the rectifier which converts AC to DC.

Right now if I was to make a purchase then I still don’t know. Sound quality-wise the TC just edged out the Susvara and everything else. Now if money wasn’t an issue and the Heddphone fit I would buy it in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed it. I liked the hekse too. It’s definitely one of the most comfortable cans I’ve tried on. It’s truly a hard decision, because I’ll only be able to buy one.
Interesting that you place all the headphones mentioned above in a similar bracket. I would have to agree that they all sound very good as well. I came very close to trading up my HEKv2 for the SE yesterday, but I'd rather borrow the SE and compare both side by side before just replacing my v2. I also had a listen to the HEDD (which I'm waiting for) and my initial impressions considering the environment were positive.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,488 of 5,211
So, the center tube is the rectifier which converts AC to DC.

Interesting that you place all the headphones mentioned above in a similar bracket. I would have to agree that they all sound very good as well. I came very close to trading up my HEKv2 for the SE yesterday, but I'd rather borrow the SE and compare both side by side before just replacing my v2. I also had a listen to the HEDD (which I'm waiting for) and my initial impressions considering the environment were positive.
They all sound very different. 1-tc 2-Susvara 3/4 Hedd/hekse. Those were the levels to me. The Susvara being more laidback than all of them. I think I would choose the TC because of the level of sound and it’s more aggressive with way better bass. It’s truly a hard decision. Because the hedd is cheapest and it provides a little of everything from all of those headphones. At a great cost.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,489 of 5,211
They all sound very different. 1-tc 2-Susvara 3/4 Hedd/hekse. Those were the levels to me. The Susvara being more laidback than all of them. I think I would choose the TC because of the level of sound and it’s more aggressive with way better bass. It’s truly a hard decision. Because the hedd is cheapest and it provides a little of everything from all of those headphones. At a great cost.
Well Heddphone mentioned they will be shipping the new headband soon. I do think the TC is the best, but the fit and weight might be hard for me to get used to. Love the Susvara also but can sound very different depending on source.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,490 of 5,211
Well Heddphone mentioned they will be shipping the new headband soon. I do think the TC is the best, but the fit and weight might be hard for me to get used to. Love the Susvara also but can sound very different depending on source.
That’s what I thought of the tc. It sounded different on the Abyss stack. It was good, but not tube good. I guess I really love warmth. I think all of them are awesome choices and you can’t go wrong with either.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,491 of 5,211
That’s what I thought of the tc. It sounded different on the Abyss stack. It was good, but not tube good. I guess I really love warmth. I think all of them are awesome choices and you can’t go wrong with either.
And what about the Final D8000 Pro?
Since it doesn't appear on your list, do you feel it can't compete with the ones on your shortlist?

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,492 of 5,211
And what about the Final D8000 Pro?
Since it doesn't appear on your list, do you feel it can't compete with the ones on your shortlist?
Good question actually. Since I really did like that one. But, I kinda like the ones I mentioned a little more. I also can’t play those loud, the drivers sound better in low gain. The sound is all over the place on my amp.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,494 of 5,211
May I ask what amp you have?
Wells audio Milo upgraded. It probably had a little too much juice for the D8kpro. I think it would work great with the Heddphone and the TC and Susvara. Since they are harder to drive. I won’t truly know until I hear it on my amp of course. I might just wait for the bigger headband and get the Hedd. I really loved the sound on that one. It just didn’t cover my ears on the bottom. That was my biggest issue.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,496 of 5,211
Wells audio Milo upgraded. It probably had a little too much juice for the D8kpro. I think it would work great with the Heddphone and the TC and Susvara. Since they are harder to drive. I won’t truly know until I hear it on my amp of course. I might just wait for the bigger headband and get the Hedd. I really loved the sound on that one. It just didn’t cover my ears on the bottom. That was my biggest issue.
Have you auditioned the Hedd prototypes only, or were you able to listen to the most recent audition also?
The reason why I ask is that I have heard that the sound has changed considerably since the prototype days, especially the bass seems to have become less prominent.
I was a fan of the early bass, and had planned to buy a pair, but now I need to audition the Heddphones again.
In the meantime I am waiting for an offer of the D8000 pro by a local dealer, if I like the price, I might purchase the Final as my TOTL cans.
As an amp I will use the Questyle CMA 12.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,497 of 5,211
Have you auditioned the Hedd prototypes only, or were you able to listen to the most recent audition also?
The reason why I ask is that I have heard that the sound has changed considerably since the prototype days, especially the bass seems to have become less prominent.
I was a fan of the early bass, and had planned to buy a pair, but now I need to audition the Heddphones again.
In the meantime I am waiting for an offer of the D8000 pro by a local dealer, if I like the price, I might purchase the Final as my TOTL cans.
As an amp I will use the Questyle CMA 12.
No, the production model was the only one I heard. That was a first for me. I had the cma12 in home with the Focal Clear. It’s a pretty awesome dac/amp combo.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,498 of 5,211
It sounds like an easy decision if you feel the HEDD provided the best mix overall.
You might be right. Financial issues might steer me towards the Heddphone . If I fix that problem I’ll get the TC. I loved the way that sounded. Just something about it that kept me hooked.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,499 of 5,211

Am sure you know it, but I can't stress enough the importance of listing at home for a few days to get an idea on how those headphones really sound with your audio system, after a few hours of listing, on different type of music and recordings, fit on one’s head and many other things. This is of course particularly significant if you plan to get an all-round HP.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,500 of 5,211
Am sure you know it, but I can't stress enough the importance of listing at home for a few days to get an idea on how those headphones really sound with your audio system, after a few hours of listing, on different type of music and recordings, fit on one’s head and many other things. This is of course particularly significant if you plan to get an all-round HP.
I know, what sounds good at first can always change after a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back