Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jun 23, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #1,158 of 5,212
I made an extension cable / adapter for the stock XLR-cable, my amp needs 2x 3-pin female XLR-plugs.

HE-1000SE_cable.jpg

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,160 of 5,212
Anyone try a Woo WA6 or WA6se with their HEKse? I'm jonesing for a tube amp and those two have always been high on my list due to sound/looks/price.
Hopefully someday I can buy a WA22 or an equivalent tube amp. Trying to get my TOTL SS thing together first. Would love to hear them on a good tube amp that doesn’t soften or destroy the detail of the SE.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,162 of 5,212
Jun 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,164 of 5,212
,,,, So the original cable doesn't seem to be much better than the one that came with the V1. I'm still waiting on my two Lavricables sent in to get reterminated, they promise to improve the sound even more

I'm curious how you now find the SE works with your best cables and after burn-in.
I remember that you used to EQ your V1's quite heavily. Are you EQing the SE's as well? If so, I'd be interested to see what EQ you use.

I still feel that my SE's need no EQ at all, but they are very transparent to upstream changes and, of course, the recording itself (so were the V2's, but the SE's even more so).
To a certain extent, I can dial in the sound characteristic I want by simple upstraem changes, such as cables and server configuration.
And taking Roon's PEQ function out of the loop has further increased overall transparency.

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,165 of 5,212
I'm curious how you now find the SE works with your best cables and after burn-in.
I remember that you used to EQ your V1's quite heavily. Are you EQing the SE's as well? If so, I'd be interested to see what EQ you use.

I still feel that my SE's need no EQ at all, but they are very transparent to upstream changes and, of course, the recording itself (so were the V2's, but the SE's even more so).
To a certain extent, I can dial in the sound characteristic I want by simple upstraem changes, such as cables and server configuration.
And taking Roon's PEQ function out of the loop has further increased overall transparency.
Hi Attorney

My reterminated Lavricables (Grand and Master Silver) finally have arrived some days ago after their erroneous detour via Hungary. At first the difference between Silver Dragon and Grand didn't seem that big, but soon I realized that some EQ refinement could bring them closer to my sonic ideal than with the former. The Silver Dragon's more pronounced treble sparkle – absolutely pleasing on its own – effectively masks some high-frequency detail, which the Grand is able to reveal, resulting in better texturing, increased airiness and a better sense of spatial depth. Probably my HE1000se is now fully broken in or close to it, after all I'm perfectly satisfied with the sound. Resolution and transparency are further improved compared to the V1 (with V2 pads in my case), and the treble has lost every bit of harshness that's been there with the predecessor (and had to be addressed with corresponding EQ curves). It's a very smooth sound. Even more natural and realistic.

Indeed the HE1000se is the first headphone that doesn't explicitly need to be equalized in my book, nevertheless it does benefit from it. My current curve (with M Scaler and DAVE):

foobar-xnor-EQ-curve for HE1000se.JPG

Unfortunately my satisfaction is heavily clouded by the fact that after seven weeks of ownership the left earpad has already begun to fall apart again. I will get a free pair from HiFiMan, but it's an unfortunate situation. I'm aware that those suffering from this issue are in the minority, but I never experienced any such problem with any other headphone independent of the price category – and not with the V1 pads either.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,166 of 5,212
Indeed the HE1000se is the first headphone that doesn't explicitly need to be equalized in my book, nevertheless it does benefit from it. My current curve (with M Scaler and DAVE)

That EQ graph does look much less extreme than the one you had for V1 (from distant memory).
I'm surprised you feel the need to boost the higher frequencies from about 5khz, but we all hear things differently. If you had the configurable Blaxius^2D BNC cables between HMS and DAVE, I think you'd be surprised by how different cable screening configurations can affect the need to EQ the high frequencies. I actually prefer the configurations that tone down HF, but this is primarily to more sympathetically handle poor recordings.

Regarding LF EQ, DAVE's Cross-Feed function progressively adds bass tailing off up to about 1khz. I find that CF=1 or 2 are fine (even beneficial), but CF=3 adds a touch too much bass.

Regarding the unravelling pads, yes this is why I still occasionally criticise hifiman for build quality: cheap synthetic cloth crudely glued to cheap plastic is bound to fail sooner or later. The pads sound good and they are very comfortable, but hifiman really should look at the (cheaper) Meze Empyrean for how to do it properly, including the superb magnetic release system for pad swapping. Nevertheless, my own SE pads are still fine (touch wood) and I'm very, very pleased I did the V2 upgrade to SE.

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,167 of 5,212
That EQ graph does look much less extreme than the one you had for V1 (from distant memory).
I'm surprised you feel the need to boost the higher frequencies from about 5khz, but we all hear things differently. If you had the configurable Blaxius^2D BNC cables between HMS and DAVE, I think you'd be surprised by how different cable screening configurations can affect the need to EQ the high frequencies. I actually prefer the configurations that tone down HF, but this is primarily to more sympathetically handle poor recordings.

Regarding LF EQ, DAVE's Cross-Feed function progressively adds bass tailing off up to about 1khz. I find that CF=1 or 2 are fine (even beneficial), but CF=3 adds a touch too much bass.

Regarding the unravelling pads, yes this is why I still occasionally criticise hifiman for build quality: cheap synthetic cloth crudely glued to cheap plastic is bound to fail sooner or later. The pads sound good and they are very comfortable, but hifiman really should look at the (cheaper) Meze Empyrean for how to do it properly, including the superb magnetic release system for pad swapping. Nevertheless, my own SE pads are still fine (touch wood) and I'm very, very pleased I did the V2 upgrade to SE.
Certainly I can't be certain if the EQ curves derived from my intensive tuning efforts are really compatible with others' ears. Im not striving for sound effects, just a sound as natural as possible, but it's not impossible that the hearing curve of my 69 year old ears do affect the result.

Although I don't feel a strong need to upgrade my passably advanced dual-BNC cables...

Dual-BNC Cable with Steel Foil.jpg

...(steel-foil RF suppressors in the spirit of iron-core inductors), in the long run I'm considering one of the two most advanced solutions: Nick's Wave cables and Dan's Opto·DX system.

I agree on many things with Rob – the ones I understand –, but the bass boost for his crossfeed implementation doesn't belong to them. It's a misconception in my book. I do understand the theory behind the idea, but the conclusion is wrong. Comparable to Anwar N. Bose's 901 system with one direct radiator in front and eight indirect radiators at the back, meant to reproduce the concept of 11% direct sound and 89% reflected sound as in a concert hall. Ignoring that the direct radiator already produces a lot of indirect sound (and then there's the mandatory reverberation on the recording). What I meant to say: Headphones are designed for reproducing music that was recorded for speaker systems. Hence their «compensated» amplitude response already takes care for the concept that speaker-based recordings need some bass boost when listened to through headphones. There's no reason to suppose that people who prefer listening without Crossfeed are satisfied with less bass than those who use it. Probably I would use DAVE's Crossfeed anyway, equalizing the bass excess away – if I didn't need crossfeed also with my portable gear. Add to this that I have my own Crossfeed preferences, which deviate quite a bit from Chord's implementation. So I use my own Crossfeed – which takes a lot of work, since every track has to be crossfeeded in several steps (I use Wavelab for this), but it's a hobby on its own.

Yeah, the pad situation is indeed unfortunate, since the next desaster will inevitably follow in a few weeks or months. I've contacted Dekoni Audio, but they don't make HE1000(se) pads yet. After all there are plans to do so, and I'm on their mailing list.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,168 of 5,212
Yes let me know how that goes as I am thinking of upgrading my HEX V2 to an Arya. I will loose the ability to easily drive it for more resolution and more accuracy. Hopefully the Arya doesn't have an irritating frequency response compared to the HEX.
Dont bother , the Arya doesn't hold a candle to the HE1000SE ,, even the bass is not better as some said ,
i would say the Arya is like the HD58X to the HD660 ,, similar in sound but still different in quality by a huge margin .

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #1,169 of 5,212
Dont bother , the Arya doesn't hold a candle to the HE1000SE ,, even the bass is not better as some said ,
i would say the Arya is like the HD58X to the HD660 ,, similar in sound but still different in quality by a huge margin .

I see you have both the Arya and SE. Do you feel having both is redundant? I already have the HEX V2 and the SE, for different reasons. They are two different tonal balances. So do you think the tonal balances of the Arya and the HEK SE are too similar except that the SE is superior?

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #1,170 of 5,212
I see you have both the Arya and SE. Do you feel having both is redundant? I already have the HEX V2 and the SE, for different reasons. They are two different tonal balances. So do you think the tonal balances of the Arya and the HEK SE are too similar except that the SE is superior?
There is tonal difference , Arya have more mid bass and mids , brighter , but overall its not worth the buy ,
i even will sell mine next week , its just i had to try it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back