Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,037 of 5,215
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #1,041 of 5,215
Apr 27, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #1,042 of 5,215
You must have more will-power than I do. I could not wait for a week before gushing about the sound.
Well if you add the fact that I had to send my cable out to be Re-terminated (Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 - 8-wire) to 3.5mm & the SE is breaking in with my Ayre’s Codex which is a solid state Amp. I just feel that I wouldn’t be giving accurate description of what I really here, But I do listen to it, it’s just not with my tube stuff and I feel that my tube setup Sounds way better than the solid state. If that makes any sense

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,043 of 5,215
Well guys, I thought HE1000se was my endgame, but I had an opportunity to upgrade to Susvara and couldn't pass it up! I'll miss them a lot, they two things better than Susvara, but unfortunately their planar flagship has the extra magic.

I still maintain that HE1000se is vastly underrated and the fact there's not much press/talk about it is kind of a shame, because it's end game sound and a bargain compared to things like like 009's and Utopia in my opinion.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 29, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,045 of 5,215
Just my impressions

To me it If you take a 75 W amplifier and power pair it with 200 W speakers that’s how V2 sounded to me. It will handle it but it just wasn’t enough power to drive the speakers proficiently.

With the SE, to my ears it now sounds like a 200 W amplifier driving a pair of 75 W speakers. Which makes the speakers way more efficient and more fuller sounding.

With the V2 I was always Trying to find the right volume seems like I could never get it to sounds just right. I always played with that volume trying to find the sweet spot.

With the SE That’s just not the case the volume is there you don’t have to fumble with it, everything sounds right at almost any volume. In other words, headphone is way more efficient now.

JMHO, YMMV.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #1,046 of 5,215
Well guys, I thought HE1000se was my endgame, but I had an opportunity to upgrade to Susvara and couldn't pass it up! I'll miss them a lot, they two things better than Susvara, but unfortunately their planar flagship has the extra magic.

I still maintain that HE1000se is vastly underrated and the fact there's not much press/talk about it is kind of a shame, because it's end game sound and a bargain compared to things like like 009's and Utopia in my opinion.
I couldn’t agree more about your thoughts. I too have great appreciation for the HEKse especially with a replacement NORNE AUDIO silver guards S3 cable. I am very curious about the differences between a properly driven Susvara with a speaker amp and the HEKse direct from DAVE. Is there any perceptible loss of treble micro-detail and shimmer? Is the sound field as deep and wide as the HEKse? In what way does it have the Susvara have the “extra magic” and are you running it from a speaker amp?

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,047 of 5,215

Please tell us more about the Susvara "extra magic" that you did not hear from the HEKse. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,048 of 5,215
Please tell us more about the Susvara "extra magic" that you did not hear from the HEKse. Thanks.

I don't own a Susvara so I can't provide extensive insight, but i've had a bunch of chances to demo them, on two occasions side by side. I don't think this is a matter of one has "extra magic" than the other between Susvara and HEKse, more that they have different strengths, but both have few weaknesses. My take was that Susvara is a more laid back sound that just comes across with ease and tons of headroom, very pleasing to listen listen to and seems to have a slightly bigger soundstage. The HEKse sounds a bit more engaging for all genres IMO and needless to say at this point is much easier to drive. I'm not sure about Susvara scaling with components because i've only heard it with amazing amps that have the power to drive them hard enough (Headamp gsx mk2 and Wells Audio Milo), but I can say that the HEKse really scales nicely with better gear and one should really make sure to be using top components throughout their chain before critically assessing it. I can honestly say if they were the exact same cost I would buy HEKse over Susvara for both the sound and ease of driving it. Also, the materials/craftsmanship/build quality are equal IMO.

I kind of think that Hifiman knew that Susvara's price point is just out of reach for most people and since it's coupled with the power limitations they were not going to have huge sales numbers with it. I think they just wanted to put a product out there to catch everyone's attention then allow the tech to trickle down to the HEKse at the lower price point to appeal to a broader market... even though it would cannibalize Susvara sales. Or maybe they were just testing the market with Susvara, knowing they could do the HEKse if they needed a lower priced product. Of course this is total speculation. Either way, it makes owning the HEKse feel like an amazing value.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,049 of 5,215
I don't own a Susvara so I can't provide extensive insight, but i've had a bunch of chances to demo them, on two occasions side by side. I don't think this is a matter of one has "extra magic" than the other between Susvara and HEKse, more that they have different strengths, but both have few weaknesses. My take was that Susvara is a more laid back sound that just comes across with ease and tons of headroom, very pleasing to listen listen to and seems to have a slightly bigger soundstage. The HEKse sounds a bit more engaging for all genres IMO and needless to say at this point is much easier to drive. I'm not sure about Susvara scaling with components because i've only heard it with amazing amps that have the power to drive them hard enough (Headamp gsx mk2 and Wells Audio Milo), but I can say that the HEKse really scales nicely with better gear and one should really make sure to be using top components throughout their chain before critically assessing it. I can honestly say if they were the exact same cost I would buy HEKse over Susvara for both the sound and ease of driving it. Also, the materials/craftsmanship/build quality are equal IMO.

I kind of think that Hifiman knew that Susvara's price point is just out of reach for most people and since it's coupled with the power limitations they were not going to have huge sales numbers with it. I think they just wanted to put a product out there to catch everyone's attention then allow the tech to trickle down to the HEKse at the lower price point to appeal to a broader market... even though it would cannibalize Susvara sales. Or maybe they were just testing the market with Susvara, knowing they could do the HEKse if they needed a lower priced product. Of course this is total speculation. Either way, it makes owning the HEKse feel like an amazing value.

The HEKse is a headphone I would still love to hear. I think (owning the Susvara) that a similar but easier to drive headphone is a very attractive proposition. The Susvara sounds amazing, but you can't get around the 83db/mw figure. It does its best off of dedicated high power amplifiers. The HEKse (which I think is 96db/mw) is much easier to drive and pair with a variety of source gear, and sometimes that choice is nice : )

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about both :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,050 of 5,215
The HEKse is a headphone I would still love to hear. I think (owning the Susvara) that a similar but easier to drive headphone is a very attractive proposition. The Susvara sounds amazing, but you can't get around the 83db/mw figure. It does its best off of dedicated high power amplifiers. The HEKse (which I think is 96db/mw) is much easier to drive and pair with a variety of source gear, and sometimes that choice is nice : )

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about both :)

I think right behind it being so expensive, the drivability of the Susvara is what keeps many, even those who can afford it from owning it. I will not buy an HP that I cannot take around the house. I was laughed at when asking if there is a portable amp to drive the Susvara. I suspect any new incarnation of the Susvara, either a new V2 or a HEK SU will definitely be easier to drive and that’s the one I will wait for. Hifiman said their goal is to make their products more portable either via Bluetooth or efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back