Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,006 of 5,189
Nothing is so tiring IMO as to read all the whinge about companies that developing new and expansive gear here on Head-Fi. It’s not like we need to buy them, or that it lacks cheaper alternative. Never have we had so many alternative to choose from, still some people get so offended about this that they call the company that make them ridiculous and disgraceful and the people that buy them idiots.

BTW Chris wrote a good editorial a few hours ago.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/editorial-whats-wrong-with-you-r789/
I always thought the answer to the "problem" is: don't buy them. So far, there is not a compulsory buying requirement.

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,007 of 5,189
I went and redemoed the empyrean yeaterday.
With a little bit of eqing it when i needed it (towards the upper end) I was enjoying it quite a bit more than my first tine a few weeks ago.

Detail was good. Overall enjoyable.

After about an hour and a bit i put on the hekv2 to see how they would complement each other (mine have been sent back to upgrade to hekse) and WOW!!!

I won’t say the hekv2 are the better headphone but FOR ME the hekv2 give mw so much more. More detail comes across to me. More open. The air and space in it’s presentation is so good.

if i wanted a warmer toned headphone then yeah the empyrean would be seriously considered but the balance of the hekv2 gives me sooo much more

I guess I might say the empy is an entertaining headphone with quite/very good detail whereas the hekv2 is a very detailed hp that’s quite entertaining/fun/etc

If i can only have one then it’s a no brainer

YMMV

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,008 of 5,189
With a little bit of eqing it when i needed it (towards the upper end) I was enjoying it quite a bit more than my first tine a few weeks ago.

After about an hour and a bit i put on the hekv2 to see how they would complement each other (mine have been sent back to upgrade to hekse) and WOW!!!

I won’t say the hekv2 are the better headphone but FOR ME the hekv2 give mw so much more. More detail comes across to me. More open. The air and space in it’s presentation is so good.

if i wanted a warmer toned headphone then yeah the empyrean would be seriously considered but the balance of the hekv2 gives me sooo much more

I guess I might say the empy is an entertaining headphone with quite/very good detail whereas the hekv2 is a very detailed hp that’s quite entertaining/fun/etc

YMMV

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been curious about the Empyrean mostly because it's the shiny new toy around here. Based on what i've read from impressions I'm sure it sounds great but I don't think I would like it more than my HEKse as an all-arounder. If i'm gonna add another headphone to my collection just for fun to mix things up it probably needs to be sub $2k. I would be interested in comparing the Verite and Empyrean, they sound like they may be a bit similar. I've been on the lookout for a used Verite, but it might be a while before people are ready to move on, it's still in the honeymoon period with most people I think.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,010 of 5,189
I have the zmf auteur that is around half the price of the empyrean. For it’s price it’s a decent complement for the hek. It may not suit everyone

Currently i don’t have a huge wow factor for me where it ticks all the boxes but it is a solid performer. Balanced and even slightly forward in the mids but not protruding out as such. And slightly laid back but not really. There’s a few contradictions there. In a nutshell a neutral headphone with zmf flavouring and seasoning. Relative to these other $3k headphones being discussed the detail is still quite good but slightly behind

My favourite headphone complementing my hekv2/se is my hd800 WITH the woo wa2 and meteum nos hex dac. My best forgiving sound (yea, the hd800) with good detail And everything else hd800 offers yet nicely a touch laid back thanks to the set up

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,011 of 5,189
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been curious about the Empyrean mostly because it's the shiny new toy around here. Based on what i've read from impressions I'm sure it sounds great but I don't think I would like it more than my HEKse as an all-arounder. If i'm gonna add another headphone to my collection just for fun to mix things up it probably needs to be sub $2k. I would be interested in comparing the Verite and Empyrean, they sound like they may be a bit similar. I've been on the lookout for a used Verite, but it might be a while before people are ready to move on, it's still in the honeymoon period with most people I think.
"Shiny new toys" are inviting. Thanks for the comparison and thoughts.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,012 of 5,189

YMMV
"Shiny new toys" are inviting. Thanks for the comparison and thoughts.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,013 of 5,189
I always thought the answer to the "problem" is: don't buy them. So far, there is not a compulsory buying requirement.

It’s not an actual problem what other people purchases. Listen to Bobby McFerrin advice instead - Don’t worry be happy :ksc75smile:.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,014 of 5,189
HE-1000SE forced me to upgrade my computer. I open more than 50 tabs, which made fan noise from my macbook pro 15 very loud. I usually play an open-back headphone and then that fan noise didn't really bother me.
But HE-1000SE is really open. So I couldn't withstand any longer, and bought MacMini which is really quiet most of time. Also, upgraded ram to 64gb, which makes me really breathe.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,015 of 5,189
Anyone else using a Chord Qutest as their DAC? I’m finding amazing synergy with the Qutest + Wells Milo amp + HEKse. The Qutest via optical cable is providing insane amounts of resolution and a very smooth/natural presentation of sound while maintaining all the details. Not even a hint of brightness, treble peek, digital glare etc. I’m really pleased. Violin in particular is sounding so life like it’s crazy. There’s great depth and nuance to the notes.

Btw the Qutest via USB sounds great too, a little more bass slam and treble energy if you want that, vocals a bit more forward too. I’m leaning towards the natural and fluid sound via optical though, the notes have a bit more depth.

The HEKse really scales well and also seems to allow the components in the chain to have their own character. It’s not adding anything, just letting the music shine through. I think it would be a good headphone to pair with almost any DAC and amp.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,016 of 5,189
For my guitar loving friends out there. One of my favorite jazz guitarists Grant Green. Basically an album of him soloing like crazy and in hi-res :wink:
E63EEEA9-44BA-4DDB-86D3-991CC3FF8CB3.png

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,017 of 5,189
For my guitar loving friends out there. One of my favorite jazz guitarists Grant Green. Basically an album of him soloing like crazy and in hi-res :wink:

I also love Grant Green and his groovy sound.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,018 of 5,189
Still waiting for a comparison between HEKse and Susvara. Ideally, compare HEKse direct from DAVE plus Mscaler with and without intervening amp, and Susvara with both a dedicated headphone amp like XI/ P1 and directed from tabs of a powerful speaker amp.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,020 of 5,189
Is there anyone who uses Yggdrasil Analog 2 with the HEK?
I am getting rid of ifi Pro iDSD and and thinking about getting the Yggdrasil..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back