Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #376 of 5,189
Near the end of my listening session last night, I picked up on a little weirdness in the mid-range -- the "perceived deficiency," as @auricgoldfinger described it in his posts (he uses an equalizer to correct it [1db boost at 1000 kHZ]). It's not a consistent issue -- with some music I noticed it, but with other music I didn't. I heard it most when I listened to songs in which the vocal was buried in the mix. In those songs, the vocal sounded as "laid-back" as the HEKv2 did, but that difference was only noticeable because the SE's sound is more forward and has greater clarity than the HEKv2. When I listened to songs in which the vocal was in front of the mix, the mid-range sounded fine.

Again, these are my impressions on the first day with the headphones straight-out-of-the-box. There are many factors in my audio chain that may have altered the sound, and the weirdness may go away with burn-in.

The midrange will fill out after 150-200 hours.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #377 of 5,189
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #378 of 5,189
I've only had the HEKse out of the box for a few hours, but I do have some initial listening impressions when comparing them to my previous HEKv2:
  • Less laid-back, more forward sound
  • Bass has better attack and slam... my favorite improvement so far
  • Punchier sound... better suited for rock music and electronica than v2... definitely an improvement as an all-rounder pair of headphones
  • More clarity than v2... great for the jazz I've been listening to
  • Extended treble... not sure about that yet
  • Soundstage... different but not sure how yet
  • Easier to drive... volume knob turned down from v2 levels
So far, so good. I think the sound of the headphones will change as burn-in progresses. As I get used to them, I will be able to comment on the stuff I'm not sure about now.

I'm using a balanced Norne Audio Draug 3 copper cable that was made for my Beyerdynamics...a very good match for the HEKse, but I will need to get it reterminated at some point.[/QU
Thanks. That is a good initial overview. It sounds like you are pleased so far. I hope to have mine early next week.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #380 of 5,189
Near the end of my listening session last night, I picked up on a little weirdness in the mid-range -- the "perceived deficiency," as @auricgoldfinger described it in his posts (he uses an equalizer to correct it [1db boost at 1000 kHZ]). It's not a consistent issue -- with some music I noticed it, but with other music I didn't. I heard it most when I listened to songs in which the vocal was buried in the mix. In those songs, the vocal sounded as "laid-back" as the HEKv2 did, but that difference was only noticeable because the SE's sound is more forward and has greater clarity than the HEKv2. When I listened to songs in which the vocal was in front of the mix, the mid-range sounded fine.

Again, these are my impressions on the first day with the headphones straight-out-of-the-box. There are many factors in my audio chain that may have altered the sound, and the weirdness may go away with burn-in.

Normally vocal and all lead instruments just pops out so visibly from a black background. However I have also occasionally perceived that on some songs the vocal can sound a bit more laidback and buried in behind the rest of the sound than on my other headphones. My guess is that the SE is just showing flaws in the recordings that always been where, just not as noticeable with less transparent headphones.

That is one more thing that I really like about the SE. It’s wonderfully clear from top to bottom, revealing and have great transparency without ever sounding analytical.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #381 of 5,189
Any recommendations for a balanced cable for these headphones? I would need one with a 2,5 mm connector since I just bought Ifi Pro iDSD.

Edit. Already contacted Lavricables, I'll just get my current cable reterminated.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #383 of 5,189
Norne Audio has a great selection at fair prices.

Seconded. :thumbsup:

@Zowie1, I already owned a Norne Audio Draug 3 copper cable when I got my SE. I've been using it with my SE as they break in, and there's good synergy there. After another few days of burn-in, I'm going to experiment with some silver/copper and pure silver cables that I have to see how they change the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #384 of 5,189
Seconded. :thumbsup:

@Zowie1, I already owned a Norne Audio Draug 3 copper cable when I got my SE. I've been using it with my SE as they break in, and there's good synergy there. After another few days of burn-in, I'm going to experiment with some silver/copper and pure silver cables that I have to see how they change the sound.[/QUO
Keep us updated as to your sonic adventures. I hope my SEs will be delivered next week. Fingers crossed.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #386 of 5,189
Thanks for your answers! I'll probably send my Grand 20 Core Silver cable back to Lavricables to be reterminated.

Wow, that's a nice cable!

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #387 of 5,189
@llcook51, rest assured I will continue to report in.

42 hours of burn-in so far. I've been listening to the HEKse every night, so the changes over time seem subtle to me. What stands out most is the clarity of sound from top to bottom. It surprised me when I sat down to listen the first time, and as I explore my music catalog, it continues to surprise me. It's only in retrospect that I think the v2's laid-back nature and giant soundstage diffused its sound in comparison to the SE.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #388 of 5,189
@llcook51, rest assured I will continue to report in.

42 hours of burn-in so far. I've been listening to the HEKse every night, so the changes over time seem subtle to me. What stands out most is the clarity of sound from top to bottom. It surprised me when I sat down to listen the first time, and as I explore my music catalog, it continues to surprise me. It's only in retrospect that I think the v2's laid-back nature and giant soundstage diffused its sound in comparison to the SE.
Giant sound stage? I thought the SE had as large a sound stage as the V2?? So does the Susvara have an even larger sound stage than the V 2 or SE?

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #389 of 5,189
Giant sound stage? I thought the SE had as large a sound stage as the V2?? So does the Susvara have an even larger sound stage than the V 2 or SE?

(edited a bunch of times for clarity)

I probably shouldn't have referenced the v2's giant soundstage. My point was that the SE possess a focus that the v2 lack (for example, the SE make it much easier to pick out the various instruments playing in an orchestra, a lot like the clarity and precision that I heard during the time I spent auditioning the Focal Clear). I speculated that is because the V2s are so laid-back (and maybe their giant soundstage contributes?) while the SE are a more-forward pair of headphones.

I'm honestly not sure how to describe the SE's soundstage. It's different from the v2's, but I want to wait for more burn-in and do more listening before commenting on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back