Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #331 of 5,212
they dont seem to have 2 pin female lemo to 3.5, i might have to have it custom made

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #332 of 5,212
To me the stock HE6 has too much treble energy and need to be modified to sound good. The HE6 is also very hard to drive and really requires a powerful amp to shine. Even with mod the HE6 can be a bit raw and almost aggressive sounded compared to the more sophisticated sounded HE1000se.

The HE6 is overall rawer and more forcefully sounded and has a bit more punch in the bass, but the bass can sound a bit overpowered and bloomy compared to SE that has a bit deeper and clearly better defined bass.

The mod HE6 mids and treble are good and has god dynamic and definition, but the mids and treble are not as refined, delicate and nuanced as the SE.

The sound of the HE6 is not as open and effortless sounded as on the SE. The tonal balance is good on my modified HE6, but not as balanced as the SE.

If I had to choose only one HP it definitely would be the HE1000se, but that’s me.

I have both and on my gear (Wells Audio) the HE-6 are not bright at all. They have a superbly open and clean high end and like you said, a more raw and forceful sound.
Bass is not boomy at all imo, but is deep and tight. Same for the HE-1kse, but slightly more rounded and refined. My HE-6 (6screw) are not modded but I am using the newest ear pads from HiFiman , like the ones on the Susvaras, and they sound fantastic, especially in the bass department. Tighter and even deeper. Very nice. Having said all that, I do prefer my HE-1k SE over the HE-6.
Would the bottom end of the he6 (se or not) have a fair bit of (controlled) grunt (or perhaps slam) that is nicely extended? I guess that’s what i’m looking for.

The lcd3 is too dark overall. Or it sounds like the bottom end is too heightened/overbearing when I've demoed it

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #333 of 5,212
Would the bottom end have a fair bit of (controlled) grunt (or perhaps slam) that is nicely extended? I guess that’s what i’m looking for.

The lcd3 is too dark overall. Or it sounds like the bottom end is too heightened/overbearing when I've demoed it

I also have the lcd-3f. I understand what you mean (although I think it’s fitting for that headphone), but the 1000SE is different. Bass is all there but it’s a more palpable type bass. It’s very satisfying and I’m picky.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #334 of 5,212
I also have the lcd-3f. I understand what you mean (although I think it’s fitting for that headphone), but the 1000SE is different. Bass is all there but it’s a more palpable type bass. It’s very satisfying and I’m picky.
Thanks for that. My post wasn’t clear enough (i now amended it) I was asking about the he6.

But thanks for replying re the hekse

(I also have the auteur in teak if that helps as a reference point)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #335 of 5,212
Thanks for that. My post wasn’t clear enough (i now amended it) I was asking about the he6.

But thanks for replying re the hekse

(I also have the auteur in teak if that helps as a reference point)
I also have the Auteur in Blackwood along with HE-6. Bass in HE-6 (at least thru my Headtrip amp) is outstanding. Not far removed from the 1kse. Still deep and palpable.
The se has a bit of extra bass bloom perhaps but it’s not out of proportion with the rest of audio spectrum and isn’t like that of the Lcd-3 or only mildly similar to Auteur. The Auteur bass is closer to lcd-3 and the HE-6 is different than those. It’s every bit as deep with a solid punch to it. Deep controlled grunt and slam? I’d say so, for sure. Also has that HiFiman palpable airy bass. There’s no other words that I am think of to describe it. I like it a whole lot.
As a side note, I am using the HiFiman Pali pad ear cushions ($49) with my HE-6. A big improvement over stock pads and Focus pads.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #336 of 5,212
Current status. Headphones in each of those cases and boxes. I have issues

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #338 of 5,212
I also have the Auteur in Blackwood along with HE-6. Bass in HE-6 (at least thru my Headtrip amp) is outstanding. Not far removed from the 1kse. Still deep and palpable.
The se has a bit of extra bass bloom perhaps but it’s not out of proportion with the rest of audio spectrum and isn’t like that of the Lcd-3 or only mildly similar to Auteur. The Auteur bass is closer to lcd-3 and the HE-6 is different than those. It’s every bit as deep with a solid punch to it. Deep controlled grunt and slam? I’d say so, for sure. Also has that HiFiman palpable airy bass. There’s no other words that I am think of to describe it. I like it a whole lot.
As a side note, I am using the HiFiman Pali pad ear cushions ($49) with my HE-6. A big improvement over stock pads and Focus pads.
Much thanks for that

I know it’s all personal and subjective but (having said that)....

Me having the hekv2 (and autuer and hd800) i am leaning towards getting the he6se rather than/ bwfore changing to the hekse. Would you do the same or not?

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #339 of 5,212
Current status. Headphones in each of those cases and boxes. I have issues

Phenomenal set up. How does the HE1000se sound with the HT Reference? My Jealous level is high....haha.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #340 of 5,212
How does the he1000se compare to the he6?

I have hekv2 and wondering which way to go

A good friend brought over his HE-6SE last night, another audiofool mate popped by, and we spent some hours listening to it and the HE1000SE.

Test Gear:
Source: AudioGD Master-11 Singularity (Burr Brown DAC), AudioGD R2R-R1, both fed via I2S from a Singxer SU-6 USB bridge.
Preamp: Schiit Freya with Tung Sol BGRP and JAN Hytron 6SN7 tubes
Amps: AudioGD Master-11 Singularity
Monoprice/Cavali Liquid Platinum with NOS Phillips SQ by Mullard E188CC tubes

The HE1000SE has a lot more air than the HE-6SE. The imaging on the HE-6 was flatter, like it lacked some depth because the sounds would all come forward with a similar volume. In comparison, the HE1000SE had a vivid sonic visualisation of sounds, very holographic.

The HE-6 had relatively stronger bass, but the HE1000SE wasn't lacking either and had more satisfying speed and texture to it. The HE1000SE is not a bass light headphone. Mids and treble, no contest, the HE1000SE by a mile, the tonality is just so right.

All 3 of us would say HE1000SE over HE-6SE every single time, but my mate picked up an open box HE-6SE for only $1.1k, so there is a huge gulf in cost there... Diminishing returns and all, but once you have heard it, you can't unhear it haha.

IMG_20190208_224903.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #341 of 5,212
A good friend brought over his HE-6SE last night, another audiofool mate popped by, and we spent some hours listening to it and the HE1000SE.

Test Gear:
Source: AudioGD Master-11 Singularity (Burr Brown DAC), AudioGD R2R-R1, both fed via I2S from a Singxer SU-6 USB bridge.
Preamp: Schiit Freya with Tung Sol BGRP and JAN Hytron 6SN7 tubes
Amps: AudioGD Master-11 Singularity
Monoprice/Cavali Liquid Platinum with NOS Phillips SQ by Mullard E188CC tubes

The HE1000SE has a lot more air than the HE-6SE. The imaging on the HE-6 was flatter, like it lacked some depth because the sounds would all come forward with a similar volume. In comparison, the HE1000SE had a vivid sonic visualisation of sounds, very holographic.

The HE-6 had relatively stronger bass, but the HE1000SE wasn't lacking either and had more satisfying speed and texture to it. The HE1000SE is not a bass light headphone. Mids and treble, no contest, the HE1000SE by a mile, the tonality is just so right.

All 3 of us would say HE1000SE over HE-6SE every single time, but my mate picked up an open box HE-6SE for only $1.1k, so there is a huge gulf in cost there... Diminishing returns and all, but once you have heard it, you can't unhear it haha.

So better to have an hekse rather than an hekv2 AND an he6se?
( will probably end up with both he6 ae and hekse within 6 months - we all know how that all goes)

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #342 of 5,212
So better to have an hekse rather than an hekv2 AND an he6se?
( will probably end up with both he6 ae and hekse within 6 months - we all know how that all goes)

If you have the budget for both at RRP, may we point you in the direction of the Susvara instead :wink:

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #343 of 5,212
Much thanks for that

I know it’s all personal and subjective but (having said that)....

Me having the hekv2 (and autuer and hd800) i am leaning towards getting the he6se rather than/ bwfore changing to the hekse. Would you do the same or not?
If you asked this question before I got my He-1kSe, I couldn’t have honestly answered that question. But since I now own the 1Kse, I would definitely go with those. This is not to say the HE-6 is that far behind. It’s a great headphone by any standard, but I do like the 1k se better. Whether that’s worth twice the price is another question.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #344 of 5,212
If you have the budget for both at RRP, may we point you in the direction of the Susvara instead :wink:
Lol

I can’t put so many eggs in one basket but you make a fair point. I’ve recntly gone from $1k headphones to $1500-$2000

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #345 of 5,212
Phenomenal set up. How does the HE1000se sound with the HT Reference? My Jealous level is high....haha.
Honestly, whenever I put connect them to my HT reference, I get so engaged that I don’t t have the good sense to stop. I could say the same for my Lcd-4 too. Nothing sounds less than excellent, but more often outstanding, when paired to the Headtrip. I’m not exaggerating either. It’s just one of those amps that you can listen to endlessly without getting any sort of listening fatigue and when paired with great headphones, like the 1KSE and LCD4, I get totally immersed in the music, regardless of genre. For me, those genres are classic rock , Grunge, post grunge, some metal, Sinatra, chill music and some 40s era big band stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back