Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #301 of 5,215
What do you mean by “As a side note, it’s been my experience that the HE-1000 series (and HE-6) scale better than any other headphone that I have experienced. Quite a defference.”
Have you heard the STAX SR009?
What I meant was that their sound quality gets better with better, more powerful amps. I first noticed how well they scaled when I went from my Burson amp to a Wells Audio Milo. It hit me like a ton of bricks. They just took on an authority that I hadn’t heard previously. Move on the the Wells Audio Headtrip (and later Headtrip Reference) just took them up another notch. While all of my headphones have improved somewhat with these better amps, it is the HiFiman that demonstrated the largest improvements.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #304 of 5,215
Have tthere been any regrets from those that have gone from the hek v2 to the hek se?

Be it some character lost or not worth the $1000 that could be put to another heafphone or amp upgrade (for example)

In my opinion HE-1000se is a nice upgrade to the already good sounded He1000v2.

I believe that most people will like the a bit fuller, transparent and more balanced sound of HE-1000se over the v2. The only real “flaw” of the v2 was that it lacked a little bit of weight and density to the sound compared to other SOTA headphones, and it was the very reason I upgraded. I would say that all of the aspect that made HE-1000v2 a great headphone, the HE1000se also has, so nothing is lost.

I have just ordered an aftermarket cable, which means that I cannot tell you how big the improvement is yet. However with such an open sounded and transparent headphone I estimate that the stock cable is holding it back quite a lot, something others that own top of the line Hifiman headphones has experienced and reported. I don’t know and only speculate, but maybe a good aftermarket cable on your HE-1000v2 would give you an equal improvement to the upgrade from HE-1000 V2 to HE-1000se.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #305 of 5,215
I have a confession :ksc75smile: Hugo 2 + HE1000SE is so enjoyable as a portable solution, before few weeks i stated that Hugo2 doesn't have enough power but after spending more time i think it is one of the best combo's for traveling and could be end game for some as desktop setup.

Y5hY303.jpg

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #306 of 5,215
Chifiman at it again. The whole business model just puts me off from ever owning one.
Plus the qc issues...

I've always liked the planar-magnetic headphones (and Magnapan and/or Martin Logan speakers) - so I thought my first "real" set of headphones would be the HE-1000s (v2, although now maybe the SE). These would be powered by some flavor of (suitably high-powered) tube-based headphone amplifier...

What are some other "superior" options, without jumping ship to the (more expensive, and dynamic) Focal Utopias?
Is the only other choice the (also more expensive) Audeze LCD4?

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #307 of 5,215
I've always liked the planar-magnetic headphones (and Magnapan and/or Martin Logan speakers) - so I thought my first "real" set of headphones would be the HE-1000s (v2, although now maybe the SE). These would be powered by some flavor of (suitably high-powered) tube-based headphone amplifier...

What are some other "superior" options, without jumping ship to the (more expensive, and dynamic) Focal Utopias?
Is the only other choice the (also more expensive) Audeze LCD4?

Whats your budget? Do you have an amp? Can you solder? Do you currently own speakers?

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #308 of 5,215
Whats your budget? Do you have an amp? Can you solder? Do you currently own speakers?
Short version: Headphone budget is up to $3000, but I could stretch. Headphone amp budget has been raised to $3500 or so. I have a borrowed headphone amp from a local (and kind) Head-Fi-er. I have two two-channel amps sitting around, an Adcom _____ that is 60 wpc (not integrated) and a Quad 405 II, upgraded at the factory in England (twenty years ago) that is maybe 100 wpc. I don't solder but I have a nephew that does - but if I am honest I don't really want a project. I have Thiel CS2 speakers for my two-channel system; nowhere in this house to put them.
For this Headphone-only System: I have a Cary DMS-500 Streamer/DAC, and an old Linn Genki CD player which I use as a transport; it has just one coax digital output which is sufficient (and significantly better than zero digital outputs!). No computer, no NAS. I'm only adding a headphone amp and headphones (and a nice Braddington-Young leather recliner that I have to retrieve from my Mom's house).

More info:
My budget for headphones started out at $1700. But six months later the new HEK v2 headphones came out, and instead of planning to buy used, as I sometimes do, I upped the number to $3000 less any small discount one might receive, for the HEK v2 headphones.
I would like my headphone budget to remain around $3000 since I've also moved from "needing" a $2000 headphone amp like the MicroZotl MZ2 or the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 to mid-$3000 amps like the MicroZotl MZ3, the Woo Audio WA5-LE, or some other tube-based amplifier with (probably) an outboard power supply. I am partial to the planer magnetics; otherwise the option of the Focal Utopia, spend even more money and forget about the cash and enjoy the music, would be a quick and easy and sensible (sound quality wise) choice.

I like my current home, but it has a large family room that is not at all suitable for a decent two-channel system (in fact, it is getting a superior three-channel passive soundbar with Anthem Receiver and a sealed subwoofer with wireless "kit" optimally placed (optimal equaling: wherever my wife says it is acceptable).

I am not interested in an electrostatic system - at $6000 they are too expensive. (Wait, my headphone plus amp budget has crept up to $6500?)
I plan to use some kind of tube-based headphone amp; I'm leaning towards the MZ3 partly because it runs cool and tubes last "forever", which maybe means two or three years...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #309 of 5,215
In my opinion HE-1000se is a nice upgrade to the already good sounded He1000v2.

I believe that most people will like the a bit fuller, transparent and more balanced sound of HE-1000se over the v2. The only real “flaw” of the v2 was that it lacked a little bit of weight and density to the sound compared to other SOTA headphones, and it was the very reason I upgraded. I would say that all of the aspect that made HE-1000v2 a great headphone, the HE1000se also has, so nothing is lost.

I have just ordered an aftermarket cable, which means that I cannot tell you how big the improvement is yet. However with such an open sounded and transparent headphone I estimate that the stock cable is holding it back quite a lot, something others that own top of the line Hifiman headphones has experienced and reported. I don’t know and only speculate, but maybe a good aftermarket cable on your HE-1000v2 would give you an equal improvement to the upgrade from HE-1000 V2 to HE-1000se.

Would you mind giving a mini-breakdown of a comparison between the treble, mids and lows?

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #310 of 5,215
Short version: Headphone budget is up to $3000, but I could stretch. Headphone amp budget has been raised to $3500 or so. I have a borrowed headphone amp from a local (and kind) Head-Fi-er. I have two two-channel amps sitting around, an Adcom _____ that is 60 wpc (not integrated) and a Quad 405 II, upgraded at the factory in England (twenty years ago) that is maybe 100 wpc. I don't solder but I have a nephew that does - but if I am honest I don't really want a project. I have Thiel CS2 speakers for my two-channel system; nowhere in this house to put them.
For this Headphone-only System: I have a Cary DMS-500 Streamer/DAC, and an old Linn Genki CD player which I use as a transport; it has just one coax digital output which is sufficient (and significantly better than zero digital outputs!). No computer, no NAS. I'm only adding a headphone amp and headphones (and a nice Braddington-Young leather recliner that I have to retrieve from my Mom's house).

More info:
My budget for headphones started out at $1700. But six months later the new HEK v2 headphones came out, and instead of planning to buy used, as I sometimes do, I upped the number to $3000 less any small discount one might receive, for the HEK v2 headphones.
I would like my headphone budget to remain around $3000 since I've also moved from "needing" a $2000 headphone amp like the MicroZotl MZ2 or the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 to mid-$3000 amps like the MicroZotl MZ3, the Woo Audio WA5-LE, or some other tube-based amplifier with (probably) an outboard power supply. I am partial to the planer magnetics; otherwise the option of the Focal Utopia, spend even more money and forget about the cash and enjoy the music, would be a quick and easy and sensible (sound quality wise) choice.

I like my current home, but it has a large family room that is not at all suitable for a decent two-channel system (in fact, it is getting a superior three-channel passive soundbar with Anthem Receiver and a sealed subwoofer with wireless "kit" optimally placed (optimal equaling: wherever my wife says it is acceptable).

I am not interested in an electrostatic system - at $6000 they are too expensive. (Wait, my headphone plus amp budget has crept up to $6500?)
I plan to use some kind of tube-based headphone amp; I'm leaning towards the MZ3 partly because it runs cool and tubes last "forever", which maybe means two or three years...

OK, there is a small group of us on head-fi (I actually think its basically just me and Oregonian) who believe that the best way to amp a planar magnetic headphone is directly off of the speaker taps.
Now, this works best if the headphones in question are more on the inefficient side than not; therefore, the HE1000v2 would be more suitable for this than the HE1000SE. Because you have two decent amps you can make this work, all you will need is a cable that has speaker pins (or banana plugs depending on your amp) on one end and a female 4-pin XLR plug on the other and a 4-pin XLR cable for the HE1000v2.
My opinion and experience with this is that you get vastly superior bass response and speed this way as well as incredible dynamics out of a solid state amp.

CAUTION!!!
I run both my HE500 and my MR.Speakers Ether flow off of the speaker taps of my 100watt Kenwood KA-9100, however, I do not own the HE1000 in any form (though I am looking into getting the Arya) and I can not guarantee this will work for you. This method is very popular for the HE-6 and I think people have done it with the LCD-4 and Susvara, but it really is an "at your own risk" thing. I feel confident to do it with my own gear, and I love the results enough to share it but I will warn you. I wouldn't do it with the HE1000se because its already quite efficient and I find my Ether Flows to be almost to efficient for this use.
I encourage anyone else in this thread to chime in with opinions either in favor or against.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #311 of 5,215
Would you mind giving a mini-breakdown of a comparison between the treble, mids and lows?

I think that Carroll Moore has described the sound of HE-1000se very well in her review, so I will just copy that she wrote and add that the biggest strength of the HE-1000se is it’s from top to bottom balanced sound. The SE also has great speed, attack, clarity and extension. Like most of the top headphones from Hifiman it is so airy and effortless sounded, although not sounding thin and lacking in density like many airy sounded headphones can do. HE-1000se is IMO an exemplary mix of musicality and technical performance which I can’t wait to listen to it with the aftermarket cable Matt is now building to me.

Low End

Lows on the HE1000se appear lifelike and natural with good detail. Despite sporting an infectious energy, the lows never seem overpowered or overwhelming. Good control keeps bleed to a minimum, complimenting a subdued bass. That bass response provides gravity in the lows, punctuated with steady, precise impact. In essence, this is a very tempered, fine-tuned low end – not as emphasized or as intense as the Edition X or HE6se, but rich and accurate to an eye-opening (or ear-opening?) degree.

Midrange

Here the HE1000se delivers a good, strong sense of fidelity. Beautiful for vocals or instrumentation, the mids undulate with complete tonal accuracy, and the sound morphs into a heady, detail-rich listening experience that nails every note. Like the Ananda in terms of accuracy, but amplified to an astounding degree, this midrange appears incredibly competent and near-perfect.

High End

The high end hosts sparkling high-end detail that seems only slightly bright at times; like the low end the highs remain well-tempered and well-controlled. Never too harsh or uncomfortable, the HE1000se delivers plenty of nuance where required. Female vocals and strings seem to leap out at you, brought to new life by this immaculate high end.

https://majorhifi.com/hifiman-he1000se-review/

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #312 of 5,215
I read that review awhile ago and liked it as well. The "slightly bright highs" keep me back from really putting an effort to purchased the 1000SE, but then I wonder if amp pairing can make a big difference in that.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #313 of 5,215
I read that review awhile ago and liked it as well. The "slightly bright highs" keep me back from really putting an effort to purchased the 1000SE, but then I wonder if amp pairing can make a big difference in that.

To put things in perspective. The HE1000se has smoother highs then HE1000v2 and HE6. The amp, DAC, mains power, cables and source pairing will make a big difference as well. A good headphone will always reveal flaws upstream.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #314 of 5,215
To put things in perspective. The HE1000se has smoother highs then HE1000v2 and HE6. The amp, DAC, mains power, cables and source pairing will make a big difference as well. A good headphone will always reveal flaws upstream.
I am curious how the HEKse with a good silver wire cable driven direct from CHORD DAVE compares to the Susvara driven by a moderate priced SS amp fed by DAVE.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #315 of 5,215
I am curious how the HEKse with a good silver wire cable driven direct from CHORD DAVE compares to the Susvara driven by a moderate priced SS amp fed by DAVE.

Yes that would be an interesting comparison. I have not made any direct comparison between Susvara and SE with the gear you mentioned. Even if I haven’t directly compared them I believe that the SE sound signature is very close to Susvara and you would need to listen to them side by side on a good and powerful system to really tell them apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back