Hifiman HE1000-SE
Feb 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #316 of 5,189
I think that Carroll Moore has described the sound of HE-1000se very well in her review, so I will just copy that she wrote and add that the biggest strength of the HE-1000se is it’s from top to bottom balanced sound. The SE also has great speed, attack, clarity and extension. Like most of the top headphones from Hifiman it is so airy and effortless sounded, although not sounding thin and lacking in density like many airy sounded headphones can do. HE-1000se is IMO an exemplary mix of musicality and technical performance which I can’t wait to listen to it with the aftermarket cable Matt is now building to me.

Low End

Lows on the HE1000se appear lifelike and natural with good detail. Despite sporting an infectious energy, the lows never seem overpowered or overwhelming. Good control keeps bleed to a minimum, complimenting a subdued bass. That bass response provides gravity in the lows, punctuated with steady, precise impact. In essence, this is a very tempered, fine-tuned low end – not as emphasized or as intense as the Edition X or HE6se, but rich and accurate to an eye-opening (or ear-opening?) degree.

Midrange

Here the HE1000se delivers a good, strong sense of fidelity. Beautiful for vocals or instrumentation, the mids undulate with complete tonal accuracy, and the sound morphs into a heady, detail-rich listening experience that nails every note. Like the Ananda in terms of accuracy, but amplified to an astounding degree, this midrange appears incredibly competent and near-perfect.

High End

The high end hosts sparkling high-end detail that seems only slightly bright at times; like the low end the highs remain well-tempered and well-controlled. Never too harsh or uncomfortable, the HE1000se delivers plenty of nuance where required. Female vocals and strings seem to leap out at you, brought to new life by this immaculate high end.

https://majorhifi.com/hifiman-he1000se-review/

The HE1000SE has very nice tonality, musical and superb extension in both the bass and top end. It's really enjoyable out of both tubes & SS amps.

I owned the Arya after hearing a HE1000V2 and liking it, but in a direct A/B recently i found that the Arya had a bit more bass than the HE1KV2 and a touch less clarity, whilst the HE1KV2 was smooth but lacked some kick. The HE1000SE has everything and more, the soundstage / imaging is even better with the improved clarity that the SE brings to the table.

Highly recommend this to anyone sitting on the fence :)

IMG_20190208_110920.jpg IMG_20190205_093116.jpgIMG_20190208_133325.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #317 of 5,189
Yes that would be an interesting comparison. I have not made any direct comparison between Susvara and SE with the gear you mentioned. Even if I haven’t directly compared them I believe that the SE sound signature is very close to Susvara and you would need to listen to them side by side on a good and powerful system to really tell them apart.
How does the he1000se compare to the he6?

I have hekv2 and wondering which way to go

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #320 of 5,189
Guess I'm joining this group. I just mailed my pair of HE-1000v2 headphones to Hifiman for the upgrade to the HE-1000SE version. I really wanted to demo the 1000SE before committing to the upgrade, but there are no local stores that have them available for demo. I've loved my HE-1000v2 headphones since I got them a year ago. Their soundstage is amazing, but they were a little too laid-back for me. I'm hoping the SE version will be a better all-rounder. :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #321 of 5,189
The HE1000SE has very nice tonality, musical and superb extension in both the bass and top end. It's really enjoyable out of both tubes & SS amps.

I owned the Arya after hearing a HE1000V2 and liking it, but in a direct A/B recently i found that the Arya had a bit more bass than the HE1KV2 and a touch less clarity, whilst the HE1KV2 was smooth but lacked some kick. The HE1000SE has everything and more, the soundstage / imaging is even better with the improved clarity that the SE brings to the table.

Highly recommend this to anyone sitting on the fence :)

Lovely pictures man!

Any chance that you can tell me how the Liquid Platinum sound driving SE compared to the amp in the AudioGD Master-11.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #322 of 5,189
Guess I'm joining this group. I just mailed my pair of HE-1000v2 headphones to Hifiman for the upgrade to the HE-1000SE version. I really wanted to demo the 1000SE before committing to the upgrade, but there are no local stores that have them available for demo. I've loved my HE-1000v2 headphones since I got them a year ago. Their soundstage is amazing, but they were a little too laid-back for me. I'm hoping the SE version will be a better all-rounder.

I sometimes get the same feeling from the HE-1000v2. I hope to hear your impressions when you get them!

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #323 of 5,189
How does the he1000se compare to the he6?

I have hekv2 and wondering which way to go

To me the stock HE6 has too much treble energy and need to be modified to sound good. The HE6 is also very hard to drive and really requires a powerful amp to shine. Even with mod the HE6 can be a bit raw and almost aggressive sounded compared to the more sophisticated sounded HE1000se.

The HE6 is overall rawer and more forcefully sounded and has a bit more punch in the bass, but the bass can sound a bit overpowered and bloomy compared to SE that has a bit deeper and clearly better defined bass.

The mod HE6 mids and treble are good and has god dynamic and definition, but the mids and treble are not as refined, delicate and nuanced as the SE.

The sound of the HE6 is not as open and effortless sounded as on the SE. The tonal balance is good on my modified HE6, but not as balanced as the SE.

If I had to choose only one HP it definitely would be the HE1000se, but that’s me.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #324 of 5,189
Guess I'm joining this group. I just mailed my pair of HE-1000v2 headphones to Hifiman for the upgrade to the HE-1000SE version. I really wanted to demo the 1000SE before committing to the upgrade, but there are no local stores that have them available for demo. I've loved my HE-1000v2 headphones since I got them a year ago. Their soundstage is amazing, but they were a little too laid-back for me. I'm hoping the SE version will be a better all-rounder. :)

I felt the same way but it turned out to be an excellent decision going to the SE. To me, they address any shortcomings that the V2 may have had and then some.
Beautiful soundstage, improved transparency, even less distortion and not as laid back. Perfectly balanced to my ears.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #325 of 5,189
To me the stock HE6 has too much treble energy and need to be modified to sound good. The HE6 is also very hard to drive and really requires a powerful amp to shine. Even with mod the HE6 can be a bit raw and almost aggressive sounded compared to the more sophisticated sounded HE1000se.

The HE6 is overall rawer and more forcefully sounded and has a bit more punch in the bass, but the bass can sound a bit overpowered and bloomy compared to SE that has a bit deeper and clearly better defined bass.

The mod HE6 mids and treble are good and has god dynamic and definition, but the mids and treble are not as refined, delicate and nuanced as the SE.

The sound of the HE6 is not as open and effortless sounded as on the SE. The tonal balance is good on my modified HE6, but not as balanced as the SE.

If I had to choose only one HP it definitely would be the HE1000se, but that’s me.

I have both and on my gear (Wells Audio) the HE-6 are not bright at all. They have a superbly open and clean high end and like you said, a more raw and forceful sound.
Bass is not boomy at all imo, but is deep and tight. Same for the HE-1kse, but slightly more rounded and refined. My HE-6 (6screw) are not modded but I am using the newest HiFiman PaliPads ear pads, and they sound fantastic, especially in the bass department. Tighter and even deeper. Very nice. Having said all that, I do prefer my HE-1k SE over the HE-6.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #326 of 5,189
I feel the same way. I am sending my HEKv2 in tomorrow, for the upgrade to the HEKSE.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #327 of 5,189
Interesting, because I've read some reviews on that state the HE-1000 V2 is too bright. :p
To me it feels more like a painting with perfect transitions from one color to the next, yet the HE-1000v2 is lacking some distinctness.. am I bashing cohesiveness? :O

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #328 of 5,189
Hey just got a pair of he1000se and wanted to use my lazuli reference cable from my utopia with them, I would need what appears to be a female lemo to 3.5 any recommendations?

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #329 of 5,189

Users who are viewing this thread

Back