Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,821 of 5,252
Anyone compare the HE1000SE to Solitaire P on the same chain ?
Yes, I compared the P, P-SE and HEK SE on the same chain(s). You need to read my impressions across 2-3 posts on the T+A Solitaire thread.

In short, I wasn't out to find the absolute best, I was only interested in knowing if it was worth the cost of changing my HEK SE to either the Solitaire P or P-SE.
And for me it wasn't worth the cost. And, on reflection, I'd still probably choose the HEK-SE even if starting from scratch. If you combined the strengths of these 3, then you'd probably end up with my perfect headphone. Until then, there is no perfect headphone for me, but the HEK-SE does a grand job in the meantime.

FWIW, I also didn't think the P's fairly subtle differences to the P-SE were worth its higher cost and greater weight (and therefore discomfort). But then again, I wasn't bothered by the P-SE's all-plastic construction whereas some people are bothered by that sort of thing.

EDIT: A reminder that my HEK-SE has an upgraded cable and the Feilian port mod, each of which has boosted its performance. The Solitaires were both stock everything.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,825 of 5,252
I hope you enjoy my thoughts on these headphones and how they compare to the ZMF Verite and Rosson Audio Rad-0!

I do. For the first time, I actually subscribe to a Youtube channel because I can identify with your review thoughts. I had the ZMF Verite LTD Open in Pheasant Wood and He1000se. Problem is I sold off the Verite just before I got He1000se so I have to go from memory but the memory's fresh after more than a year with Verite and LCD-3f.

I was listening to Dvorak Symphony No 9 'From The New World' on Apple Music - Spatial Audio with Yggdrasil > Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion > He1000se. :relaxed:

Below is a Youtube clip of that piece but it's no where as good as what I hear on Apple Music. By the way, I still have Roon and Tidal Hifi and it looks like Apple might be winning me over. The month long trial continues. I will miss Roon lovely interface though.

Lastly, I agree with your findings that He1000se sound best with tube amps. At least for me. At the beginning of this year right after I bought my He1000se, I also got a slew of solid state headphone amps... Questyle CMA 12, Violectric v280 (my son's fav with He1000se), Auraulic Taurus Mk2, Schiit Mjolnir V2. Whilst these sounded really good with He1000se, I prefer Wa22, La Figaro 339i, Elekit TU-8200 and lastly my Oblivion and Destiny(300b amp) with He1000se. Again it's all personal preference YMMV.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #2,826 of 5,252
I do. For the first time, I actually subscribe to a Youtube channel because I can identify with your review thoughts. I had the ZMF Verite LTD Open in Pheasant Wood and He1000se. Problem is I sold off the Verite just before I got He1000se so I have to go from memory but the memory's fresh after more than a year with Verite and LCD-3f.

I was listening to Dvorak Symphony No 9 'From The New World' on Apple Music - Spatial Audio with Yggdrasil > Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion > He1000se. :relaxed:

Below is a Youtube clip of that piece but it's no where as good as what I hear on Apple Music. By the way, I still have Roon and Tidal Hifi and it looks like Apple might be winning me over. The month long trial continues. I will miss Roon lovely interface though.

Lastly, I agree with your findings that He1000se sound best with tube amps. At least for me. At the beginning of this year right after I bought my He1000se, I also got a slew of solid state headphone amps... Questyle CMA 12, Violectric v280 (my son's fav with He1000se), Auraulic Taurus Mk2, Schiit Mjolnir V2. Whilst these sounded really good with He1000se, I prefer Wa22, La Figaro 339i, Elekit TU-8200 and lastly my Oblivion and Destiny(300b amp) with He1000se. Again it's all personal preference YMMV.

I didn't think tubes generally worked well with planars?
I recently read about and bought the Kinki VISION THR-1 that is much warmer than typical SS's. It sounded like it was made for the HE1000V2, just perfect match. Trying out the SE with it now.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,827 of 5,252
Weird, 2nd day with the SE's. Looking for those WOW moments I was getting with the V2's...
Hope that doesn’t happen to me. Headphone still sits in Melbourne as all flights to NZ are cancelled…weeks away.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2,828 of 5,252
I didn't think tubes generally worked well with planars?

That's not true, especially with transformer coupled amps like Wa22 or the hybrid Oblivion.

Oh forgot Studio Six. That's great with planars.

Some solid state are rather warm sounding and have a very good synergy with He1000se. Eg. v280 and even Questyle CMA 12. Taurus Mk2 is great.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,831 of 5,252
That's terrible. You sent in your V2's for an upgrade?
No, I bought a 1000se new from A2A in Melbourne but the travel bubble between AU and NZ got canceled due to increasing numbers of Covid19 infections. And I just sold my Utopia and Stellia and what’s left is a T1 and T5p…

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #2,832 of 5,252

Thank you! I appreciate you. :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 18, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,833 of 5,252
Hi All, I've been enjoying my HE1000v2 for a while, but am feeling the upgrade itch. I'm debating going for the SE. I listen to pretty much all Classical music with my HiFiMan, and it's excellent, but sometimes I crave a little more detail/transparency/precision of imaging. The problem is, I'm also very treble sensitive, and always have to EQ the top end down considerably on the v2 to enjoy them. I'm concerned it would be worse on the SE. More fatiguing? Or should I just take more time time and save up for the Susvara? Or wait for HiFiMan to come out with something new, like a more efficient Susvara? Choices... Amp-wise I go between a Wells Audio Milo and Woo Audio WA22 (I prefer the Milo for the V2-- seems to need more power to shine). Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,834 of 5,252
Hi All, I've been enjoying my HE1000v2 for a while, but am feeling the upgrade itch. I'm debating going for the SE. I listen to pretty much all Classical music with my HiFiMan, and it's excellent, but sometimes I crave a little more detail/transparency/precision of imaging. The problem is, I'm also very treble sensitive, and always have to EQ the top end down considerably on the v2 to enjoy them. I'm concerned it would be worse on the SE. More fatiguing? Or should I just take more time time and save up for the Susvara? Or wait for HiFiMan to come out with something new, like a more efficient Susvara? Choices... Amp-wise I go between a Wells Audio Milo and Woo Audio WA22 (I prefer the Milo for the V2-- seems to need more power to shine). Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

I'm rather surprise that Wa22 is rather power shy. With He1000se it's ok and sounds good but not so with v2 and Arya. Wa22 hardly drives my LCD4.

If you have to EQ off the V2, you might have problems with Se. Using a tube amp helps considerably here. That's why I find the synergy better with tube amps and He1000se. Or find a solid state like v280.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,835 of 5,252
For anyone who wishes Hifiman sold leather pads for the drop-shaped cups (HEK, Arya, etc.), hope is not lost. While this was not an easy process, it is quite simple. All you have to do is buy the pads you want (I bought mine on eBay from a guy who hand makes them in China), slip in the plastic clip ring (from old pads or Hifiman), and then trim/glue down the edges of the pad so that the pad edge doesn’t stand above the plastic tabs. My wife is the one who did it, and she did not take pictures during the process. But here is the final product:
I bought these pads here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/255002079644?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=554925600975&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

"Luckily" my original ones were disintegrating so I used their plastic rings to attach the leather pads to, since they came with glue rings.

In my opinion these are the pads to get and should have been there out of the box - they mittigate all the gripes I (and many others) had with the tonality of this headphone.
These pads manage what I tried to do with analogue and digital EQ, different amps, DAC's, tubes etc... - they turn the SE into a super HEK but, retain the unbelieveable imaging and precision of the SE while giving back the huge stage of the V1 and V2 without turning it diffuse like the HEK's (maybe a tad but thats no biggie in my book).

Together with the original pads for orchestral classic or big movie soundtracks these become some of the best and most usable all around headphones
you can get without paying through your nose for Abyss or Susvara, with technicalities being somewhere up there at utopias level showing you what the ultra high-end can do.

And god bless your wife.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back