Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #151 of 5,216
If anyone needs some nice newish (released in 2016) Christmas music for their HEKse check out “Simply Christmas (Deluxe Edition)” by Leslie Odom Jr. I’m streaming it through Roon/tidal -> Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC -> Wells Milo amp -> Lazuli Reference cable -> HEKse. It sounds great! Enjoy your evening :)

33FC3391-1BD9-4231-A1F7-D7F665B436AA.png

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #152 of 5,216
Would not drive an HEK out of a DAVE because Chord DACs sound thin or damped. Dry? Directly out of headphone out doesn't have the weight to sounds which made HEK sound thin and therefore really odd.

How pitiful is that for a headphone out, out of a $10K source? Can't even put a proper headphone amp with that price? ****ing rediculous. At that price, I expect it to do everything including my laundry.
I don't know what you're talking about. We must have very different ears. DAVE + HE1000 (V2 pads, now with Hugo M Scaler and Lavri Grand) is my dream combo since quite a while. That's why I'm not sure if I really need to upgrade on the HE1000. Note that I equalize. BTW, I even prefer DAVE direct over the HiFiMan EF1000 with the Susvara – by a fair margin.

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #153 of 5,216
I don't know what you're talking about. We must have very different ears. DAVE + HE1000 (V2 pads, now with Hugo M Scaler and Lavri Grand) is my dream combo since quite a while. That's why I'm not sure if I really need to upgrade on the HE1000. Note that I equalize. BTW, I even prefer DAVE direct over the HiFiMan EF1000 with the Susvara – by a fair margin.
Then I wonder if you have heard a properly driven HEK because HEK out of DAVE headphone out is pitiful.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #154 of 5,216
Has anyone been able to find problems with the 1000SE?

I purchased a V2 and the Teflon inserts are not centered properly and the right gimble rattles a little bit.
Hopefully they won't charge too much for these fixes (if possible).

My OCD sometimes costs me..

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #155 of 5,216
Then I wonder if you have heard a properly driven HEK because HEK out of DAVE headphone out is pitiful.
The HE1000 is an easy load, for the DAVE anyway, and it's passably sensitive to not cause strain even to a Hugo or Mojo. If you add an amp to the DAVE (actually to its headphone output, if you don't already know), you add colorations in the form of harmonic distortion. It's true: Some people like harmonic distortion – something Rob Watts is mentioning now and then, out of own experience. Unfortunately they don't sound like distortions, but rather like added warmth and oomph. I know how the HE1000 sounds through a headphone amp that's attached to the DAVE (since I own a few), and I'm far from trying it once more – the magic and realism I get from the direct drive is lost to a great degree. The DAVE is designed with ultimate accuracy/transparency in mind, through a signal path as direct as possible. If you have no appreciation for this design philosophy and the resulting ultra-revealing sound, it is definitely not for you. Which is a pity, since it is the technically most advanced DAC to date (even more so paired with an M Scaler) – easily provable by measuring values of all categories, not to forget the ultra-low output impedance. You wouldn't want to ruin these outstanding measuring values by complicating the signal path and introducing additional distortion, would you?

Something worth considering: You make it look like the DAVE be responsible for the resulting sound of «the HE1000». How about the idea that the resulting sound is closer to the truth – in terms of the HE1000's effective tonal characteristic – than through an additional amplification stage, but the latter has the ability to mask the tonal weaknesses or compensate for them, respectively? As mentioned I for one equalize my headphones consistently, that's why I'm not dependent on this kind of tonal synergy.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #156 of 5,216

I purchased a V2 and the Teflon inserts are not centered properly and the right gimble rattles a little bit.

The thin black grills are not completely straight, rather they have developed (or always had) little hills.

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #157 of 5,216
The thin black grills are not completely straight, rather they have developed (or always had) little hills.

Hmm.. sounds a bit frustrating.
I'm in the process of contacting them about my issues .. I definitely see myself upgrading to the HE-1000SE unless I purchase a Lazuli Reference cable for my V2 ..

Has anyone been able to compare a balanced WyWires Platinum cable to a balanced Lazuli Reference cable?

Oh, and here's some more music for ya'll:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #158 of 5,216
Something worth considering: You make it look like the DAVE be responsible for the resulting sound of «the HE1000». How about the idea that the resulting sound is closer to the truth – in terms of the HE1000's effective tonal characteristic – than through an additional amplification stage, but the latter has the ability to mask the tonal weaknesses or compensate for them, respectively? As mentioned I for one equalize my headphones consistently, that's why I'm not dependent on this kind of tonal synergy.

Don't take this as an attack, but as a Chord dealer, I'm fascinated by what they build, and the DAVE blows me away on a good 2.1 channel setup. With my Atohm GT-1's really helped me discover my speakers. Had the pleasure to listen to Focal Diablos with Classé audio dual mono's (Headquarter is a 5 min walk from my house), and it's supremely impressive from a transparency/immediacy standpoint.

Unfortunately, with headphones, I find it not only to be overkill... but unfortunately a bit diffuse and lacking a lifelike sound. I actually prefer the Holo KTE LVL3 even with a THX AAA 789 to Dave's output; and that's my secondary amp. It's important to remember synergy and the intended use of a product. Chord Dave is a marvel of a dac, but you sure as heck better be plugging it into similar priced speakers and electronics to really experience what it's intended for :)

I just got my HE1000se upgrade, and am addicted as they're the best headphones I've owned yet - and I actually prefer it to the Utopia/Empyrean/Susvara personally. But even so, as close as it is tonally to Senn HE1's by memory, it's not close to some of the stereos I've heard.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 26, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #159 of 5,216
Don't take this as an attack, but as a Chord dealer, I'm fascinated by what they build, and the DAVE blows me away on a good 2.1 channel setup. With my Atohm GT-1's really helped me discover my speakers. Had the pleasure to listen to Focal Diablos with Classé audio dual mono's (Headquarter is a 5 min walk from my house), and it's supremely impressive from a transparency/immediacy standpoint.

Unfortunately, with headphones, I find it not only to be overkill... but unfortunately a bit diffuse and lacking a lifelike sound. I actually prefer the Holo KTE LVL3 even with a THX AAA 789 to Dave's output; and that's my secondary amp. It's important to remember synergy and the intended use of a product. Chord Dave is a marvel of a dac, but you sure as heck better be plugging it into similar priced speakers and electronics to really experience what it's intended for :)

I just got my HE1000se upgrade, and am addicted as they're the best headphones I've owned yet - and I actually prefer it to the Utopia/Empyrean/Susvara personally. But even so, as close as it is tonally to Senn HE1's by memory, it's not close to some of the stereos I've heard.

Interesting.. my DACs prior to DAVE were Yggy and Holo 3 and I find DAVE lifts a huge veil vs both, at least on the Utopia. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Dec 26, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #160 of 5,216

My SE has a dimple on one earpad. Since I purchased from a member on this forum I can't say with certainty that it's a manufacturing defect, however in examination it would seem the most likely cause. Otherwise its been perfect.

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #163 of 5,216

The quality of the original cable feels lousy, the 3.5mm plug seems like a cheap fake oyaide plug...

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #164 of 5,216
Interesting.. my DACs prior to DAVE were Yggy and Holo 3 and I find DAVE lifts a huge veil vs both, at least on the Utopia. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Oh it totally is more transparent! I just find it renders image and space differently with headphones, and it’s not as enjoyable to my ears. I think its immediacy is also a bit ruthless with headphones, for better or for worse

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back