Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #136 of 5,215
I wonder how my V1 with V2-pads, a damping mod and EQ compares to the SE. Upgrade is 1.5k but i doubt its worth it, my v1 sounds phenomenal with the alterations i did, while still being nicely w i d e to enjoy bigger room recordings like operas

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #137 of 5,215
I wonder how my V1 with V2-pads, a damping mod and EQ compares to the SE. Upgrade is 1.5k but i doubt its worth it, my v1 sounds phenomenal with the alterations i did, while still being nicely w i d e to enjoy bigger room recordings like operas

Your modded v1 or v2 doesn't compete with an SE. If you read the thread, you'll find the SE is a completely different and superior headphone.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #138 of 5,215
Your modded v1 or v2 doesn't compete with an SE. If you read the thread, you'll find the SE is a completely different and superior headphone.

This is not a universal truth nor is it a fact.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #140 of 5,215
haha. Not one person who has posted to this thread has preferred a previous version of the HE1000 over the HE1000se. Maybe you should read their reviews.

This whole hobby is subjective. I bet it would do you a lot of good to realize this.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #142 of 5,215
This whole hobby is subjective. I bet it would do you a lot of good to realize this.

I’m sure he realizes it’s all subjective, your stating the obvious just to be a jerk. But someone asked a question about how the modded v1 would compare to the SE and given that we have a whole thread of comparisons I think it’s fair to say the sample size indicates the SE is considered superior amongst those who have had the chance to actually spend significant time with the SE. If you ignore that evidence then you are just speculating and it kinda defeats the purpose of using a forum like this which allows us to learn from others. If we diminish opinions from those who have actually heard the gear as subjective (of course it is!) then what the hell is the point of all this?

I’d also argue that some people aren’t in a position to be able to upgrade and they want to believe and hear from others that what they have is sufficient. There will inevitably be something “better” out there and gear will almost always become dated at some point. If you haven’t heard it for yourself don’t assume something new isn’t worthy simply because you really can’t or shouldn’t spring for it. People who don’t want to have to upgrade for various reasons will come out of the woodwork in support the previous model. This happens again and again. The upgrade feels like a threat to them... the idea of their prized gear being obsolete is a huge downer. I get it. This is not to say for a second that an older version of something isn’t excellent or can’t be end game for some people. I for one would really like the chance to hear and upgraded v1. I never had the balls to try and mods on my v2.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #143 of 5,215

I haven’t heard a modded v1 but my guess is that because the driver in the SE is different (I believe it trickled down from Susvara) then you can expect quite a difference. One of the differences which it sounds like you may not enjoy is that the soundstage is smaller. But with that to my ear is MUCH better 3D imagine. The instrument placement and whole soundtage feels much more real and there’s better continuity. Another big difference for me between what I had before which was the v2 is that the SE handles the music with such finesse but at the same time it drives it hard. Each note is even better composed and instruments have better textures than with the v2. I’m not sure damping and EQ can accomplish all that but maybe I’m wrong.

I’ll also say the build quality feels improved over previous generations. I had no issues with the v2 build quality, but the SE feels like more of a luxury product, it feels more robust and I for one prefer the aesthetics of the ebony wood and textured metal as well.

There’s just this wonderfully cohesive and lifelike but at the same time fun and musical sound with the SE that I’m thoroughly enjoying.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #144 of 5,215
I’m sure he realizes it’s all subjective, your stating the obvious just to be a jerk. But someone asked a question about how the modded v1 would compare to the SE and given that we have a whole thread of comparisons I think it’s fair to say the sample size indicates the SE is considered superior amongst those who have had the chance to actually spend significant time with the SE. If you ignore that evidence then you are just speculating and it kinda defeats the purpose of using a forum like this which allows us to learn from others. If we diminish opinions from those who have actually heard the gear as subjective (of course it is!) then what the hell is the point of all this?

I’d also argue that some people aren’t in a position to be able to upgrade and they want to believe and hear from others that what they have is sufficient. There will inevitably be something “better” out there and gear will almost always become dated at some point. If you haven’t heard it for yourself don’t assume something new isn’t worthy simply because you really can’t or shouldn’t spring for it. People who don’t want to have to upgrade for various reasons will come out of the woodwork in support the previous model. This happens again and again. The upgrade feels like a threat to them... the idea of their prized gear being obsolete is a huge downer. I get it. This is not to say for a second that an older version of something isn’t excellent or can’t be end game for some people. I for one would really like the chance to hear and upgraded v1. I never had the balls to try and mods on my v2.

Calm down, and stop assuming things.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #145 of 5,215
Calm down, and stop assuming things.

Lol. Not sure what you’re doing on forums, you don’t seem to like anything anyone says. I’m assuming :) you have some sort of chip on your shoulder because you’re not offering thoughts of any value, rather your simply offering attitude and then not liking when it’s rubbing people the wrong way.

I didn’t mean to offend anyone by saying some people may not be in position to upgrade (and thus want to build value in what they already own). But I’d say that’s fact. People come to the defense of what they own and enjoy.

I’m reading between the lines in your first comment that took a shot at someone simply answering a forum member’s question from their own experience and this thread. You didn’t offer a comment of any substance so there was nothing left but to make assumptions about why you were being a jerk. Anyways, carry on. Not interested in getting into an ongoing spat that detracts from the point of this great thread. Just didn’t like your attitude.

Happy holidays everyone! Enjoy the music!

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #146 of 5,215
Still it would be nice to see some head to head comparison between all three HEKs. Because it seems all three are pretty good headphones with different strenghts. A few users made an upgrade and received HE1000 SE but they no longer had HE1000 v1 or HE1000 V2 so a lot of comparison was based on audio memory. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken but as far as I know only @EndGameSearch did head to head comparison with HE1000 SE vs HE1000 v2

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #147 of 5,215
Still it would be nice to see some head to head comparison between all three HEKs. Because it seems all three are pretty good headphones with different strenghts. A few users made an upgrade and received HE1000 SE but they no longer had HE1000 v1 or HE1000 V2 so a lot of comparison was based on audio memory. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken but as far as I know only @EndGameSearch did head to head comparison with HE1000 SE vs HE1000 v2

I previously owned the original version. Although there were a few dissenters, virtually everyone who upgraded to v2 or attempted to approximate it by modding their v1 preferred the v2 or modded v1, respectively.

My comments earlier in the thread were written when I had both the v2 and SE and was able to switch back and forth between the two. Frankly, after a few days of burning in the SE, I only had to listen to the v2 for a minute or two to know the SE is a big step up in overall presentation and SQ.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #148 of 5,215
I'm also interested in a comparison between V1, V2, SE (and Susvara) – preferrably with the Chord DAVE. My dealer still doesn't have the SE in stock. Sadly it would be impossible to use my Lavricables with the SE.

Also, I wonder how a properly equalized V2 would fare against a properly equalized SE – meaning: how much of the difference/improvement is a matter of frequency response?

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #149 of 5,215
I'm also interested in a comparison between V1, V2, SE (and Susvara) – preferrably with the Chord DAVE. My dealer still doesn't have the SE in stock. Sadly it would be impossible to use my Lavricables with the SE.

Also, I wonder how a properly equalized V2 would fare against a properly equalized SE – meaning: how much of the difference/improvement is a matter of frequency response?

I am using HMSDAVE. As I stated in my initial impressions earlier in the thread, v2 and SE are completely different beasts. EQ is not going to bring the v2 anywhere close to the SE.

These adapters work and are inexpensive: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ereo+AUX+Audio+Adapter+mic+headphone&_sacat=0

I have seen one or two DAVE owners say it lacks sufficient power to get the most from Susvara, which is consistent with what I would expect given their respective specifications. They are not an ideal match.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #150 of 5,215

Would not drive an HEK out of a DAVE because Chord DACs sound thin or damped. Dry? Directly out of headphone out doesn't have the weight to sounds which made HEK sound thin and therefore really odd.

How pitiful is that for a headphone out, out of a $10K source? Can't even put a proper headphone amp with that price? ****ing rediculous. At that price, I expect it to do everything including my laundry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back