Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #13,666 of 14,653
Hi, I know that people were recommending the violectric v222 + bifrost 2/64 for the HE1000Stealth but how does it pair with the HE1000V2? My main concern is having the soundstage not sounding as wide using this AMP/DAC together. I want to be able to enjoy music, I don't need the most detail retrieval possible if that's the right way to phrase it.

I have the Bifrost 2/64 and intend to get the HE1000V2 non-stealth as my next headphone so if anyone has any other AMP recommendations other than the V222 and Mjolnir 3 that would be a huge help!

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #13,667 of 14,653
Basically you hit the nail on the head.

I have no experience with Utopia (Stellia, yes).

Way better soundstage on HEK Stealth than Susvara.
Bigger, not sure its better
Better bass oomph and heft.
More midbass for sure, under 70 Hz gotta go w/ with the Susvara
MUCH easier to drive.
for sure
My ears don't touch the ear cups at all, or bottom out and touch the driver. My ears are completely, 100% free of touching anything when I wear the HEK Stealth.
AND IT SURE AS HELL ISN'T BORING (like the Sus can feel sometimes).
Depending on recording quality, the system ought to tell you what's there. I love the Stealth, and its a better deal money wise (even vs an open box for $3750), but for musical absolute truth (assuming good enough equipment) I have the Susvara as better.
HEK Stealth definitely has the wow factor which keeps me much more interested and engaged while listening.

I've had the Stealth for a couple of months driven by the GS-X Mini and I truly have forgotten how many times I've been brought to the point of tears listening to beautiful music.
Not ashamed to admit it. In fact, I see it as a testament to how much I enjoy listening to these damn headphones.
Stealth is a classic. But the Susvara can play with the Ralls and top estats and not sound outclassed based on what I have heard.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #13,668 of 14,653
Bigger, not sure its better

More midbass for sure, under 70 Hz gotta go w/ with the Susvara

for sure

Depending on recording quality, the system ought to tell you what's there. I love the Stealth, and its a better deal money wise (even vs an open box for $3750), but for musical absolute truth (assuming good enough equipment) I have the Susvara as better.

Stealth is a classic. But the Susvara can play with the Ralls and top estats and not sound outclassed based on what I have heard.
I'd have to agree, the HEKS, while exceptionally good and detailed, just isn't at the detail level of the susvara. There's just an ethereal quality to it that the HEKS just doesn't have; but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #13,669 of 14,653
Hi, I know that people were recommending the violectric v222 + bifrost 2/64 for the HE1000Stealth but how does it pair with the HE1000V2? My main concern is having the soundstage not sounding as wide using this AMP/DAC together. I want to be able to enjoy music, I don't need the most detail retrieval possible if that's the right way to phrase it.

I have the Bifrost 2/64 and intend to get the HE1000V2 non-stealth as my next headphone so if anyone has any other AMP recommendations other than the V222 and Mjolnir 3 that would be a huge help!
v2 has the biggest soundstage - but the drawback (for me) is that intimate recordings (4 pieces or less) still sound huge - well bigger than the recording. This is an issue for all versions of the HEK, but the v2 is the most extreme in this way. If you like that look no further.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #13,670 of 14,653
v2 has the biggest soundstage - but the drawback (for me) is that intimate recordings (4 pieces or less) still sound huge - well bigger than the recording. This is an issue for all versions of the HEK, but the v2 is the most extreme in this way. If you like that look no further.
Amp pairing? I've had absolutely amazing results with Headamp driving my V2 Stealths.
I was in heaven with the Mini. I just upgraded to the mk2.
I haven't listed the Mini for sale yet.
IMG_20231126_140308275_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231031_171517445_HDR.jpg

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #13,671 of 14,653
Amp pairing? I've had absolutely amazing results with Headamp driving my V2 Stealths.
I was in heaven with the Mini. I just upgraded to the mk2.
I haven't listed the Mini for sale yet.
IMG_20231126_140308275_HDR.jpgIMG_20231031_171517445_HDR.jpg
Have heard it with my Rag 1, A 70, and new Mjolnir. Sounds great on first two, didn't care for it on the Mjolnir (but also the HD-600 and HD-800 were far better on the Feliks Echo 2) - but it was at a meet, so it might be an early version of the Mjolnir.

Going back to the summer of 1978 (Magnaplanar MG-1) every magneostatic speakers and headphones (commonly known as planars) I have owned or heard (> 10 speakers, > 25 headphones) they all do better with more power. Even headphones that do over 100 db/1 w do better with a big boy.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #13,672 of 14,653
Now I get why many love the HE1000 stealth, i'm actually loving it more than the HE1000SE, weird right? I didn't expect this at all.
Don't know why but I think the HE1000 stealth has the best timbre of all hifiman's I tried, even better than the Organic.
Organic lacked the soundstage, depth and width compared to the HE1000 stealth which has wider and taller stage.

It has the same stage of the HE1000SE but to my ears the HE1000 stealth does a tad better in terms of clarity and transparency.
I know the SE is better on paper and should be technical superior, but I think my brain just prefer the timbre of the HE1000 stealth.
I guess i'm in love with the HE1000 stealth now, what a archievement this headphone is, good job Hifiman. I think I found my endgame

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #13,673 of 14,653
Now I get why many love the HE1000 stealth, i'm actually loving it more than the HE1000SE, weird right? I didn't expect this at all.
Don't know why but I think the HE1000 stealth has the best timbre of all hifiman's I tried, even better than the Organic.
Organic lacked the soundstage, depth and width compared to the HE1000 stealth which has wider and taller stage.

It has the same stage of the HE1000SE but to my ears the HE1000 stealth does a tad better in terms of clarity and transparency.
I know the SE is better on paper and should be technical superior, but I think my brain just prefer the timbre of the HE1000 stealth.
I guess i'm in love with the HE1000 stealth now, what a archievement this headphone is, good job Hifiman. I think I found my endgame
Definitely agree with you here, the Stealths are definitely worth the extra hundred that you'd have to shell out instead of getting the Arya Organic and are truly an endgame set.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #13,674 of 14,653

All of your remarks are exactly in line with my thoughts.

Fantastic headphone!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #13,675 of 14,653
Did anyone had a chance to compare Hifiman closed backs to their open back egg shape headphones Arya-HEKS etc ? They seem overly expensive for some reason and the frequency graphs doesn't look good. What's up ?

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #13,676 of 14,653
Did anyone had a chance to compare Hifiman closed backs to their open back egg shape headphones Arya-HEKS etc ? They seem overly expensive for some reason and the frequency graphs doesn't look good. What's up ?
They are terrible headphones. Just like all their other closed back headphones.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #13,677 of 14,653
They are terrible headphones. Just like all their other closed back headphones.
My tin ears love the Sundara Closed Back I'm listening to right now.... not anything like the HE-1000 V2, mind you, which are my fave HiFIMAN's (I've not heard the HE-1000 Stealth, SE, and Susvara only once at a show) -- but I was just wondering why everyone hates the HiFIMAN closed backs. :sweat_smile:

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #13,678 of 14,653
My tin ears love the Sundara Closed Back I'm listening to right now.... not anything like the HE-1000 V2, mind you, which are my fave HiFIMAN's (I've not heard the HE-1000 Stealth, SE, and Susvara only once at a show) -- but I was just wondering why everyone hates the HiFIMAN closed backs. :sweat_smile:
For the price the close backs went for at BF, I was very tempted to give them a try as well. Have the open Sundaram, and was curious to how "bad" the closed are in comparison :)

Nov 29, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #13,679 of 14,653

Which is why FR graphs show a really tiny part of the story. So many more aspects of sound and emotion, soul etc..that can only be known through using your ears.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #13,680 of 14,653
Which is why FR graphs show a really tiny part of the story. So many more aspects of sound and emotion, soul etc..that can only be known through using your ears.
100% agree :) many variables you can't measure like timbre and soundstage, in the end the only real measurement is your own ears

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back