Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #13,306 of 14,805
After this lengthy and enjoyable discussion, I should add that it’s great fun to discover this forum, with so many fellow Hifiman fans. Everyone has so many interesting stories and invaluable insights to share. With the intent of encouraging others to share their own journeys to Hifiman and other great brands, I’ll say that the Edition XS played a major role in my back story, as it was my gateway drug into the entire HFM oval pad lineup.

My first “audiophile” headphone I purchased was the Sony Z1R. It sounded nice enough, but based on what I had heard from others about concepts such as soundstage and imaging, I soon became very curious about open-backed options. So like any newbie, I fell pray to the marketing hype from corporate-funded websites, and went all-out on a set of Susvaras first, which I eventually sold for the 2020 Utopias, after encountering so much inexplicable clipping and a disappointing lack of fun factor in the bass. I had no idea what reference tuning was about at that stage, let alone Harman.

The Utopias were so expensive, and spoken about so reverentially, that I assumed that they were the best-sounding headphones I was ever going to get. And although I dutifully raved about them to others and did my best to love them, I continued to stare at this monumental investment I had made in a formidable desktop DAC/amp/streamer setup, and wondered if this was really what audiophile sound was about? In retrospect I don’t think this was Focal’s fault as much it was about my finding the right headphone for my specific tastes—although I do think the Utopias are considerably overrated, and without a doubt overpriced.

Then, over the 2021 winter holidays, I traveled with my spouse to celebrate with my in-laws, with my portable DAC/amp in tow, but forgot to bring my headphones. We were gonna be there for two weeks, and there was no way I was going to make it with my in-laws for that long without access to music. So I went on Amazon.de, and looked for the best I could find “on the cheap”. A day later I had the Edition XS and a set of pentaconn 4.4mm balanced cables in my hands, and sat down to listen, with the lowest imaginable expectations.

It took me a minute to get oriented, but soon enough my mind was completely blown. I didn’t know what soundstage was until I listened to these things. Same with bass slam—I could feel the kick drums punching my chest in the most pleasing way imaginable, there was a physicality and excitement unlike anything I had ever experienced, the detail retrieval was mind-blowing, and it really was like hearing my favorite music in a way I hadn’t before. For $459!

I couldn’t get home fast enough to listen to these things on my desktop setup, with a 14 watt balanced amp. I actually ordered ahead for a balanced XLR headphone cable to greet me when I got home. I was so excited about my discovery that I‘ve since immersed myself in the granular details of this brand (and in planars in general). And ever since, I swear to Big Star (one of my favorite bands obviously) that I’ve only listened to my Utopias a couple of times—I’ve only kept them because when the 2022 model was released, the resale value for my $4,400 expense was an insult.

Since then I’ve become less enamored of the design and aesthetics of headphones, and far more focused on the science and technology involved—and it’s in these areas that I think HFM really delivers. I can’t think of a manufacturer that has distinguished themselves so strongly with signature innovations, and the more I’ve learned about the specifics of the Stealth magnet, nanothin diaphragm, window shade grilles and the placement of the pads on my head, the evidence of these technologies is logically evident to me in what I’m hearing. I feel much less dependent on reviews, and more comfortable trusting my own instincts instead, along with the subjective experiences I hear from other informed enthusiasts on here.

If I could impart any wisdom to others new to this hobby, I would definitely say that there is no substitute for acquiring a basic understanding of headphone fundamentals, and with this knowledge in hand, auditioning an array of different options any way you can. Your headphones truly are the most important component in your setup to provide the specific colorizations and sound presentations you like best—followed a good distance behind by your amplifier, and farther still from your DAC/streamer. There’s a whole lot of information available on the web about the specific assets of this headphone or that, but if you listen to one yourself and don’t immediately fall in love with the sound, whatever glowing reviews you’ve read are inconsequential, and you should send that one back and keep looking.

Everyone’s ears and preferences are unique to themselves, and when you find the one you’ve been looking for it should be evident to you within a few minutes. I think you’ll be happier taking this more patient and disciplined route and trusting your own ears, instead of wasting time and unnecessary expense going by hype and paid advertising. Based on what I’ve experienced, I think you’ll land on satisfying results much faster in the long run, and for sure your wallet will thank you most of all!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #13,307 of 14,805
After I went down the Stax rabbithole deep (SR-009 < SR 007 early MK1 with an KGSSHV amp: beautifull sparkling sound), the 007 finally lost to the HE1000V2. I just love the full, round, a little blowy bass on it and also the holographic and grandios sound. Later the He1000V2 got beaten by the Abyss 1266 (the original), but not by far. I love the crazy bass and the cinematic sound. I keep buying and selling headphones because of forums lol. I own an HE1000V2 now again. Used 1266 headphones have become rare lately and are still triple the price. I Cant wait for the Susvara successor. Love this thread. Cheers!

One question: This whole stealth stuff is confusing to me. Will there be or is there a HE1000SE stealth? Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #13,308 of 14,805
After I went down the Stax rabbithole deep (SR-009 < SR 007 early MK1 with an KGSSHV amp), the 007 finally lost to an HE1000V2.
I agree 100%.
After doing the same but with the KGSShv / KGST and then the HeadAmp BHSE I moved on to both the V2 and Utopia paired with either my GS-Xmk2 or WA33 (Standard Edition) and never looked back. I still own all for 5+yrs now and I've been extremely content with no desire to take any side steps.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #13,310 of 14,805
After I went down the Stax rabbithole deep (SR-009 < SR 007 early MK1 with an KGSSHV amp: beautifull sparkling sound), the 007 finally lost to the HE1000V2. I just love the full, round, a little blowy bass on it and also the holographic and grandios sound. Later the He1000V2 got beaten by the Abyss 1266 (the original), but not by far. I love the crazy bass and the cinematic sound. I keep buying and selling headphones because of forums lol. I own an HE1000V2 now again. Used 1266 headphones have become rare lately and are still triple the price. I Cant wait for the Susvara successor. Love this thread. Cheers!

One question: This whole stealth stuff is confusing to me. Will there be or is there a HE1000SE stealth? Thanks.
As others may have already said, the HE1000se is already a Stealth; it was the second headphone they introduced with that magnet after the Susvaras. Since then they’ve retrofitted their entire oval pad line with it, leading some to hang on for dear life to their prior, now legacy iterations of the Arya/Ananda/HEK, mainly due to their tuning preferences (see below). With the HEKse they improved the efficiency of the tech considerably, from a sensitivity of 96 vs the Susvara’s 83.

Although the HEKse is my second favorite headphone I own (after the HEK Stealth), the addition of the Stealth magnet to the SE began the characterization of HFM cans as being a bit too bright and fatiguing on some tracks, due to the nature of the magnet itself (along with adding considerable detail retrieval, it opens up the highs starting at 10,000hz and above).

Some of their latest iterations with the Stealth still remain on the bright side, including the Ananda Nano, which I bought recently. But somehow they seem to have managed to tame it with the HEK Stealth (and from what I’ve been told, the Arya Organic). I think the less fatiguing treble in the HEK Stealths is at least in part due to them kicking up the lows to create more of a “V” shaped tuning, but even then the highs are objectively less sharp than the HEKses.

I can’t imagine that HFM hasn’t caught on to this criticism; it’s been sitting there in a stark, impossible-to-miss fashion on Crinacle’s top ten list for ages, with the Susvara and the non-Stealth HEKV2 ranked at numbers 2 and 3 of all time, while the HEKse is relegated to number six, with the notes being “Basically a brighter and slightly shoutier version of the OG; may be a little too intense for some”.

So it’s my completely subjective guess that when they refresh their flagship(s), taming the high end will be their first priority, along with emphasizing the sensitivity improvements they’ve made since the Susvara. And given how slavishly reverential I am for the HEKse and HEK Stealth, I can’t WAIT to hear it.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #13,311 of 14,805
Thanks so much for all the input about a cheaper alternative to the HE1000. The Edition XS looks very promising and it's on my shortlist for a potential next headphone purchase

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #13,312 of 14,805
Thanks so much for all the input about a cheaper alternative to the HE1000. The Edition XS looks very promising and it's on my shortlist for a potential next headphone purchase
You won’t regret it.

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #13,313 of 14,805
Hey look it’s on sale as open box on the Hifiman storefront for $399! Full warranty, and from all I’ve heard folks have had great experiences with their B stock sale items. Plus they have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. Just sayin’ :wink:

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/edition-xs-open-box.html

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #13,314 of 14,805
I will say for a time I had both the Ananda Nano and the HE1000V2, and no matter what I did the latter was considerably more bright and downright sibilant (especially in Discord calls, so much so that it was unbearable). This was pretty much the case regardless of amp I used and after week's days worth of burn-in. I ended up returning the HekV2 in favor of the Nano's tuning, which in some ways is similarly a subtle warm-bright V-shape. The HekV2 was more diffuse to the point of it being unappealing to me compared to the Nano's very precise, closed-in space. The Nano's bass was the biggest draw for me with how surprisingly dynamic, punchy, and engaging it sounded. I personally hardly found the Nano bright at all, but sometimes peaky depending on the song--by comparison the HekV2's treble dominated everything, like a giant, airy mountain, that only hid away in orchestral works.

What I do miss is the unquestionable timbre and pervailing texture throughout the frequency range. At first I was put off by how people here described the HE1000 Stealth as being easily the brightest of the bunch, but now I can't help but wonder had I gotten the HE1000 Stealth over the HE1000V2 for the same $1400 price, that I would have had been much more ecstatic.

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #13,315 of 14,805
A lot of times I read comments, people describing a hp differently then what I hear. I remind myself everyone is running these cans off different gear, different chains, different sources.

Listening to any of my dac, amps / chains, will change the sound I hear slightly from the same hp. Some gear will make it sound more forward, warmer, harder hitting bass, brighter, and the opposite could be said, having less of the things mentioned.

The he1000v2 in particular is very chain dependent.

I would say best thing to do would go to a friends, audio shop, forum member, to audition the headphone your interested in, with your own gear preferably.
Going off how someone else ears hears the sound coming out of the cans you want, might leave you dissapointed. Ex. People love the arya stealths, but they weren't for me.

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #13,316 of 14,805
A lot of times I read comments, people describing a hp differently then what I hear. I remind myself everyone is running these cans off different gear, different chains, different sources.

Listening to any of my dac, amps / chains, will change the sound I hear slightly from the same hp. Some gear will make it sound more forward, warmer, harder hitting bass, brighter, and the opposite could be said, having less of the things mentioned.

The he1000v2 in particular is very chain dependent.

I would say best thing to do would go to a friends, audio shop, forum member, to audition the headphone your interested in, with your own gear preferably.
Going off how someone else ears hears the sound coming out of the cans you want, might leave you dissapointed. Ex. People love the arya stealths, but they weren't for me.
Very good points you bring up. Especially about source chains and amps. It all makes a difference in the resulting sound coming out your headphones. The HEKv2's is one of the best headphones heard. This is after owning the Susvara's and AB-1266 TC for years.

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #13,317 of 14,805
I will say for a time I had both the Ananda Nano and the HE1000V2, and no matter what I did the latter was considerably more bright and downright sibilant (especially in Discord calls, so much so that it was unbearable). This was pretty much the case regardless of amp I used and after week's days worth of burn-in. I ended up returning the HekV2 in favor of the Nano's tuning, which in some ways is similarly a subtle warm-bright V-shape. The HekV2 was more diffuse to the point of it being unappealing to me compared to the Nano's very precise, closed-in space. The Nano's bass was the biggest draw for me with how surprisingly dynamic, punchy, and engaging it sounded. I personally hardly found the Nano bright at all, but sometimes peaky depending on the song--by comparison the HekV2's treble dominated everything, like a giant, airy mountain, that only hid away in orchestral works.

What I do miss is the unquestionable timbre and pervailing texture throughout the frequency range. At first I was put off by how people here described the HE1000 Stealth as being easily the brightest of the bunch, but now I can't help but wonder had I gotten the HE1000 Stealth over the HE1000V2 for the same $1400 price, that I would have had been much more ecstatic.
Interesting! Maybe it’s my 54 year old ears, but I found the opposite—so much so that I was tempted to ask you if you meant the Ananda Nano or the Ananda Stealth, because I do find the latter to be excessively bright and bass-light.

Awhile back I weighed whether to keep the HEKV2 vs the HEKse for several weeks, and although I loved the laid back, smooth-across-the-board sound I heard in the V2s, I ultimately went for the bright, sometimes sizzling HEKse because its detail retrieval was so peerless. I have since bought the HEK Stealth, which I have found to be the ultimate balance between the two—not as bright as the HEKse, but far more detailed than the V2, with an added rise in the low shelf distinct from either of them.

When the Ananda Nano launched in May, I was convincingly assured that the bass was considerably more emphasized compared to the Ananda Stealth, and I decided to pick up a pair a few weeks ago. I did find the bass emphasis to be unambiguously audible, but I otherwise I found it to be the brightest of the entire lot, and since I already owned the Edition XS, which I find perfectly tuned, I’m sending the Nano back.

I think this just illustrates that everyone’s ears are different, and that there’s no substitute for auditioning a variety of cans ourselves. But I don’t find the HEK Stealth to be the brightest among all the available options at all, and I’m particularly susceptible to fatigue.

However in your case all is not lost—Hifiman will allow you to trade your existing cans for another option you prefer, for only the cost of your shipping your piece to them, and a fraction of the price difference. If you have access to Amazon, you can avail yourself of their liberal return policy and audition the one you’re curious about, and send it back at no expense to you if you’re not satisfied with the result.

One caveat: when you’re comparing two cans, always try to compensate for their differing sensitivities by adjusting the gain or volume on your amp—because one of the biggest pitfalls in comparing any two pieces of gear is the influence volume has on your subjective experience. In general, the louder of the two headphones or amplifiers, or the DAC with the higher voltage output, is typically the one perceived as “better”, and conversely, the louder headphone will often potentiate its brightness. I’ve found it best to take a considerable break between listening to one or the other, contrary to the usual direct A/B strategy. It allows me to clear my palate as it were, to reduce susceptibility to volume differences. Good luck!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #13,318 of 14,805
I was actually worried about the source chain being the issue. Definitely the Schiit Jotunheim 1 is something I'd consider bright 9 times out of 10. In fact, I did go out of my way to buy a Lyr+ in desperate hopes it would improve things and to make sure I my ears aren't going crazy. It did end up improving things somewhat, but the sibilance and overall brightness and airy character were still there regardless of tubes I had tried. Maybe the Bifrost Multibit is more sibilant than I take it granted for, or maybe Schiit in general isn't a great pairing? To be clear, I should say the brightness wasn't piercing at all, just overall elevated, yet smoothed, throughout the frequency range. Maybe my 31 yo ears were more sensitive to the 10+ KHz range (though I can't hear beyond 16 KHz)? I've heard the Ananda Stealth V2, Stealth V3, and Nano, and less refined treble is something of a staple for them, whereas I could definitely tell there was way more refinement on the HekV2's end.

Unfortunately, I decided that either I wasn't ready for the HE1000V2 enough to appreciate it or that maybe I needed some kilobuck level source equipment to get the most out of it. Either way, I could see this being a rabbithole that I wasn't financially prepared without access to any audiophile friends with different equipment or ears. I've since returned them in fear that I was just going to sink more money than I was financially comfortable with. The HE1000V2 had been my dream headphones, mainly relying on the anecdotal experience of everyone else here, but blind buying bit me in the butt.

As an aside, I do know of the difference volume, even so much as 1 dB can make. I do the best I can to compare everything as close to what I perceive to be the same volume as possible. I'm only human, so it's still possible that the volume differences were still enough to make the difference.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #13,320 of 14,805
Quite a few rave reviews of Arya Organic by Josh Valour, Amplify Audio Reviews etc.., but... Hifiman pricing of Organic and HeK Stealth is very confusing, Stealth is only $100 more than Organic I mean anybody who can buy a Organic will have no issues spending extra $100 for the Stealth, so with such close pricing it is possible the Stealth many not be a strict upgrade, maybe the Organic has something the Stealth lack, very curious and eager to look forward to comparison between these two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back