Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #13,066 of 14,653
You won’t be disappointed with cans!!!!!! You can always upgrade Amos down the track. But the cans will be with you forever!!
Amps* sorry

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #13,068 of 14,653
So back in Sept '22 I ordered the HE1000v2, the most expensive full sized headphone I have bought (got it NIB for a bit under the then $1900 price which of course now seems like a rip off given it's now hundreds less), and have been very content with it (especially after getting the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos stack to pair with it). I happily stopped looking at full sized headphones (just as the Odins ended my IEM search).

I saw the Stealth version come out; didn't pay it much attention, especially at the original price. Figured I'd at least wait for more reviews/impressions.

But now I saw the new price...so I'm ordering one.

I'm mostly interested in the bass difference as that's the only thing that has slightly bothered me about the HE1000v2 all this time. But more aggression/forward mids/better dynamics might be preferable for some genres too.

Mostly I just want to try it and I'd like to have a back up headphone too in case either fails (I can't listen to any of my other full sized headphones since hearing the HE1000v2...really need to sell some stuff!...and while I love my Odins, IEM's just can't compete with full sized headphones imo).

One question: is there a way to tell the Stealth version from the v2 or other versions? I would't think a reputable dealer would mix them up, but I want to get the version I ordered! I'm looking at Amazon since they are in stock, returns are so easy, and there's no silly restocking fee/return shipping costs.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #13,070 of 14,653
So back in Sept '22 I ordered the HE1000v2, the most expensive full sized headphone I have bought (got it NIB for a bit under the then $1900 price which of course now seems like a rip off given it's now hundreds less), and have been very content with it (especially after getting the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos stack to pair with it). I happily stopped looking at full sized headphones (just as the Odins ended my IEM search).

I saw the Stealth version come out; didn't pay it much attention, especially at the original price. Figured I'd at least wait for more reviews/impressions.

I'm mostly interested in the bass difference as that's the only thing that has slightly bothered me about the HE1000v2 all this time. But more aggression/forward mids/better dynamics might be preferable for some genres too.

Mostly I just want to try it and I'd like to have a back up headphone too in case either fails (I can't listen to any of my other full sized headphones since hearing the HE1000v2...really need to sell some stuff!...and while I love my Odins, IEM's just can't compete with full sized headphones imo).

One question: is there a way to tell the Stealth version from the v2 or other versions? I would't think a reputable dealer would mix them up, but I want to get the version I ordered! I'm looking at Amazon since they are in stock, returns are so easy, and there's no silly restocking fee/return shipping costs.
If the unit is brand new and factory sealed one way to differentiate it is V2 (OG) comes with a fairly good quality storage case (image attached below), its absent in the new Stealth.

Attachments

• DSCF9686.jpg
    DSCF9686.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #13,071 of 14,653
If the unit is brand new and factory sealed one way to differentiate it is V2 (OG) comes with a fairly good quality storage case (image attached below), its absent in the new Stealth.

It'd be brand new, ordered from the hifiman store on Amazon.

Just wondering if looking at the drivers (like shining a flashlight through the foam) you could see a discernible difference.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #13,072 of 14,653
i emailed hifiman before and they charge 850+shipping after the 3 year warranty for the V2s for a driver repair

That's insane. It should all be free, warranty or not. At least if you're the original buyer.

I have had many Hifiman products over 10+ years though and the only problem I've had is an old amp stopped working. All my headphones, many of which got heavy use, still work just fine.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #13,073 of 14,653
It'd be brand new, ordered from the hifiman store on Amazon.

Just wondering if looking at the drivers (like shining a flashlight through the foam) you could see a discernible difference.
The wood veneer on the HE1000 Stealth is a matte finish... While the HE1000 V2 is a shiny wood veneer. Also, if you shine a light to the drivers inside. The HE1000 Stealth will have a green tint to it. FYI... There is a lot of sub bass on the HE1000 Stealth (I listen to a lot PHONK, Trap, EDM, etc...).

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #13,074 of 14,653
The wood veneer on the HE1000 Stealth is a matte finish... While the HE1000 V2 is a shiny wood veneer. Also, if you shine a light to the drivers inside. The HE1000 Stealth will have a green tint to it. FYI... There is a lot of sub bass on the HE1000 Stealth (I listen to a lot PHONK, Trap, EDM, etc...).

Thank you, very helpful.

Just want to make sure I get the right version.

I'm going to order: really curious about the bass (my Odins and some of my speakers have awesome sub bass that I enjoy) and other changes in sound. If I don't like one better than the other, they might be good compliments! (I'll almost certainly keep both to have a backup, unless I think one is simply much better than the other).

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #13,075 of 14,653

Serial number perhaps.

i’m only guessing they are visible if you take the earpads off (and on an included card)

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #13,076 of 14,653
That's insane. It should all be free, warranty or not. At least if you're the original buyer.

I have had many Hifiman products over 10+ years though and the only problem I've had is an old amp stopped working. All my headphones, many of which got heavy use, still work just fine.
That’s insane?

So you want a lifetime warranty for original owners, not just three years, and to keep these at these prices?

(that also won’t help with resell value, by the way)

and i assume the price of $850 was most likely set when these were twice the price they are now.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #13,077 of 14,653
You won’t be disappointed with cans!!!!!! You can always upgrade Amos down the track. But the cans will be with you forever!!
Thanks - Honestly I'm so excited! Just waiting to see how much I get stung by import duty.

As an aside, what do people think of the stock cables? I assume they perform well but the aesthetics leave a little to be desired. Does anyone have any budget recommendations that, at a minimum don't hinder sound quality - dare I say improve it? (I know cables are a dark art in some corners of the audiosphere!).

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #13,078 of 14,653
Thanks - Honestly I'm so excited! Just waiting to see how much I get stung by import duty.

As an aside, what do people think of the stock cables? I assume they perform well but the aesthetics leave a little to be desired. Does anyone have any budget recommendations that, at a minimum don't hinder sound quality - dare I say improve it? (I know cables are a dark art in some corners of the audiosphere!).
Tripowin balanced cables are north of decent , quite better then originals ; prices are low and wide availability ( amazon too )

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #13,079 of 14,653

I bought both these customs cans litz cables and audiophile ninja cables at around the same time, both are fine cables but I felt a slight bump in details with the custom cans ones with my V2, both are quite affordable, custom cans is located in your country (UK).

https://jfunk.org/wpc/product-category/home/cables/hifiman-cables/balanced-cables-hifiman-cables/

https://www.audiophileninja.com/product/hifiman-narrow-dual-3-5mm/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back