Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 7, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #13,036 of 14,797
Some obviously like the sound of the V2 Arya and he1000 but they aren’t getting a true full stage. I believe people are confusing the fuller sound of the stealth and SE for less stage. Not true. They actually present a truer sound and fit the type of music you are playing.
How would you compare/rate the soundstage of the HE1000stealth to that of the HD800s?

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #13,037 of 14,797
he1000stealth stage felt perimetral in many recordings and genres really to me ( from 2 chains )
hekse stage definitely may vary to a great extent depending on recordings , rec intentions and rec quality too
What do you mean by perimetral ?
I only heard XS, Ananda, Arya so far. XS was definitely the widest in my experience.
I've read/watched reviews about HEK Stealth. People generally say the Stealth has wider stage than HEKse. HEKv2 is the widest one. HEKse has the most forward depth.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #13,038 of 14,797
How would you compare/rate the soundstage of the HE1000stealth to that of the HD800s?
The HD800s is a lovely headphone and it has nice bass sound and great staging (with a decent stack) the 800S has a fast driver for a dynamic so you will get all the details and staging. However it will never be like a planar in that regard, at least with the Arya Stealth, HE1000 Stealth, SE etc, haven't had a chance to hear the lower end HiFiman, but i imagine them to be similar but probably no extending as far down in the bass and stage.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #13,039 of 14,797
What do you mean by perimetral ?
I only heard XS, Ananda, Arya so far. XS was definitely the widest in my experience.
I've read/watched reviews about HEK Stealth. People generally say the Stealth has wider stage than HEKse. HEKv2 is the widest one. HEKse has the most forward depth.
Not sure where you gather 'people' and 'generally'...it's been discussed widely that the stealth has the closer / narrower proximal stage of all 3 models ; that is what I've been reading recurently in comments ; my ears tell the same, told the same instantly when listening , I have had all of them and could compare .

By perimetral: I mean the stage on hekstealth felt like set on a given perimeter ( or a given and quite fixed measure/distance ) , and wouldn't extend from that distance depending on records..;

whereas the hekse can sound like in a room or studio , with decently far reverbs, or in a canyoning open air set : depending on record and the meaning of its production ;

whereas the hekv2 would frequently sound with a same diffused and almost liquid soft-smooth stage with no much boundaries..wide stage without much measured precision , and more unrelated to records..( always wide )

My ears..
Ymmv though :)
Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #13,040 of 14,797
Not sure where you gather 'people' and 'generally'...it's been discussed widely that the stealth has the closer / narrower proximal stage of all 3 models ; that is what I've been reading recurently in comments ; my ears tell the same, told the same instantly when listening , I have had all of them and could compare .

By perimetral: I mean the stage on hekstealth felt like set on a given perimeter ( or a given and quite fixed measure/distance ) , and wouldn't extend from that distance depending on records..;

whereas the hekse can sound like in a room or studio , with decently far reverbs, or in a canyoning open air set : depending on record and the meaning of its production ;

whereas the hekv2 would frequently sound with a same diffused and almost liquid soft-smooth stage with no much boundaries..wide stage without much measured precision , and more unrelated to records..( always wide )

My ears..
Cheers 🍻
Wide for the sake of being wide is not a good thing. Sure you can like it, but you can't say it's an accurate representation. I really think it's due to the magnet structure, with the pre stealth versions having differing magnets... a big and little one, so the little one hits the bigger part and comes back to the ear and the the other bit escapes through the gap so it creates that pocket that gives the false width. Whereas the stealth versions just go through, without hitting anything, so they will be as wide as the recording intends without falsifying the sound.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #13,042 of 14,797
Soundstage is often 'fake' by the way ..unless recordings are meant to get real distances ( reverbs between sounds and room or hall surfaces , microphone positionings etc ) ; it may try to mime the real thing on acoustic instruments records though ( i.e. classic and small quartets )

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #13,044 of 14,797

My ears..
Cheers 🍻
Sorry i'm not disputing your experience. I just didn't understand what you mean with that word and wanted to share what i saw online.
Some reviews i saw:

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he1000-stealth-review/3/
The SE is softer and more intimate sounding, and some listeners will prefer that characteristic. The Stealth is wider, more spacious and to me more refined. That said, the SE makes it easier to hear the fine detail, where the Stealth needs a better headphone amp to get to the best level.

It's interesting their comment on soundstage match since soundstage is quite subjective in this hobby. This aspect of HE1000 Stealth what made me interested otherwise i'm happy with Arya Stealth's.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #13,047 of 14,797
It's interesting their comment on soundstage match since soundstage is quite subjective in this hobby. This aspect of HE1000 Stealth what made me interested otherwise i'm happy with Arya Stealth's.
Sure i most definitely wouldn't advice hekstealth to person who mind a big soundstage, less then ever over hekv2 or hekse..it's just an advice , ymmv and we all hear different..and different gears synergies etc..all accounts sure 🙂

there's a better option though : order both or all 3 at Hifiman and keep what's best to your ears and return the rest eventually

I would agree with anyone saying the 3 models offer different appeals depending on genres and taste , so..

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #13,048 of 14,797
Whereas the stealth versions just go through, without hitting anything, so they will be as wide as the recording intends without falsifying the sound.
Hekse ( stealth magnet ) : have very ' adaptive ' stage , based on 3 intrinsic factors *imho* : separation and measures precision that's second to nothing or so.. , show of record and production qualities second to nothing again , resolution in both deep bass and highest octaves ( this resolution will allow for filling of the stage with the recorded sub bass reverbs not just casual 'rumble' in bass frequencies, picking in only what is in the record, and highs fine details and reverbs will define some airy sound contour in contrast - which is peculiar trait of hekse )

Hekstealth ( stealth magnet ) : doesn't have the highest highs and finest deep sub bass resolution display , if compared to hekse ..it has other qualities , and they best the hekse in some of them - namely better mids , grip on a wetter midbass , timber and vibrancy or intimacy ; but not the other two . Other then this I felt the soundstage was more artificially narrowed and perimetral ( to exemplify : with sounds frequently moving in from a stated distance of 10 - 15m radius sphere ) whereas in same records hekse ( on same chain and gears ) displayed different distances and went beyond that , displaying an overall more pleasurable and airy tact in rendering different distances .

Hekv2 : sounds are diffused ( larger ) and less precise in mutual reference , limits and position , without much air between them , moving in from a not-so-precise stated distance , and occupying the stage far beyond the 10-15m sphere radius , or sort of limitless ; definitely may appeal who values a softer and luxuriously big stage , @yeboyi it can make for an easier longer listening session too .

It 's definitely something that we are able to discern these kind of particulars and differences from the hek line models , it tells how refined and special they are.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #13,049 of 14,797
If someone is ,or thinks he is so addicted to really wide soundstage imaging....he would be better off using/ playing with " stereo widener" effects/ plugins like the one in the vlc player. Sooner or later he might realize it's just a gimmick once he's had enough of it .

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #13,050 of 14,797
A good album to experience on the HekV2, recommend the lossless version.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/yanni-live-at-the-acropolis-yanni/0888880753267
Wow, i'm not certain if I have a defect or if I haven't hit this "break in" period yet... iBassoDC05, Full silver 3.5mm cable, HEK Stealth, i feel like I'm battling more loudness preferences here than trying to find technical advantage. I'm starting to be concerned I have something needing refubirshment. They sound the same as the anandas still!

Thank you for giving me a good benchmark to listen on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back