Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 4, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #13,006 of 14,653
Greatest improvement you can make to Hifiman egg-shapes' sound is to try wearing them at a different position and angle on your head. Every one I've tried (Ananda, HEXv2, HEKv2) changes significantly in treble presentation based on how it's seated and sounds like limp, plasticky, unnatural awfulness unless I hit the sweet spot. Then, it sounds better, and the differences between them become more clear. The HEKv2 sounds excellent out of a phone dongle or a Switch headphone jack, even. My rule of thumb is that tall-sounding = wrong.

FR-wise, the difference between Hifimans' stealth-drivers and their non-stealth counterparts has consistently been a +5 dB increase at ~12 kHz. The HE1000se was re-tuned with elevations at 4 and 7 kHz to balance out the tonality, but the others seem unchanged apart from that upper treble boost. The Arya had some peakiness in the lower treble
to begin with, making its stealth-ing work out in a similar way, but I'm not surprised that something more flat like the HEKv2 is causing tinnitus with that upper treble added. I'd recommend the non-stealth version for sure in the HEKv2's case. Amping your headphones harder is probably not going to do your hearing any favors if they're making your ears ring already.
Try A/Bing the two. As similar as they may sound - both are some variation on Hifiman's house sound after all - may be, those are very different headphones on the technical front
So EQing the 12kHz should do the trick then, I did and didn't notice much ringing after... this is nicer! I tried finding EQs online and found autoeq.app since I'd like to A/B test, but it isn't specifying whether the HE1000 is the stealth version or not. Judging from the lack of any gained dB at 12kHz, I would say no. Is there a known source that can help me equalize so I can A/B test?

Thank you both of you!!

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #13,007 of 14,653
So EQing the 12kHz should do the trick then, I did and didn't notice much ringing after... this is nicer! I tried finding EQs online and found autoeq.app since I'd like to A/B test, but it isn't specifying whether the HE1000 is the stealth version or not. Judging from the lack of any gained dB at 12kHz, I would say no. Is there a known source that can help me equalize so I can A/B test?

Thank you both of you!!
If you don't have the headphones themselves, you won't be able to A/B. Headphone measurements are inherently imprecise enough that trying to turn one headphone into another with DSP based on them isn't viable.

I personally wouldn't recommend using AutoEQ at all, as deriving useful information about upper treble from measurements and making adjustments using that requires manual human interpretation of rig output, a problem that AutoEQ "solves" by simply pretending the top octave of music doesn't exist. It doesn't matter whether AutoEQ's HEK preset is for the Stealth or not because the generator throws out anything above 10 kHz anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #13,008 of 14,653

Thank you both of you!!
Just try both side by side. If you have both and you like the cheaper one more / just as much, might as well return the expensive one you just bought I think :)

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #13,009 of 14,653
I joined in on the HE1000v2 stealths. Using the ibasso DC05 as my DACAMP, i am not really feeling it over OG Anandas. There's like, no difference.
Maybe I am just missing something here, but they both get plenty loud enough that I don't even hit half way on either of the headphones. I notice a lot of ringing in my ears (Tinnitus) from the V2 Stealths after a session.

I do have the SRM-727A amp I could try running the V2 Stealths on, but I've been told that the estat amp will destroy my planars.

Not sure if this is the diminishing returns that people talked about.
Let them break in. Trust me, I thought the same way with my Ananda Stealth but after the 50 hour mark the HE1KS really started to open up, and the upper-mid/treble glare I heard goes away. I couldn't go more than 30min to an hour before my ears felt like I was a rock concert, now I can listen to them for hours. Now I go back to the Anandas and are like, uhh, sorry dude back on the hook you go. It's not even a slightly fair comparison between the two, and I still have a lot of hours of break-in left on the HE1KS to match the Anandas. The former simply out classes the latter by a significant margin.

And with that said, a few more impressions now that I have had the HE1000 Stealth for a couple of weeks. As mentioned, LET THEM BREAK IN! After somewhere between 50 -75 hours ish my initial impressions have changed somewhat. I find the HE1KS to be lush, neutral-warm with well extended upper treble. The bass really tightened up, with the sub bass rumble and weight really coming to life. Mid bass hits hard, but it's more controlled and doesn't hurt my head, even at louder volumes. I initially thought the midrange was a touch laid back, but now it has finally found its place and is more coherent in the mix. As mentioned, the upper mids and lower treble lost their peaky glare and are as smooth as silk. As for the well extended upper treble, it's sweet, detailed, airy, and refined. In no way does it cause pain or fatigue. And let's not forget about the sound stage. While the width did not change, the depth and layering became more apparent and revealing. There is no longer a multi-point placement of sounds, it's smooth and linear with no defined "slot" in the stage rather the sound just goes where it needs to be.

One thing I noticed is the power requirements. I was foolish and at first had the volume set to where it would be for the Ananda. To my ears both headphones were at equal volume after back to back comparison. Nope, I was an hour or so off! It was by chance, and glad I found out early on, when I had the dial higher than normal (Chesky, 'nuff said) and went back to a track that was average loudness my ears did not bleed, rather in stead of getting "louder" the HE1KS really opened up, becoming more detailed and fuller sounding with far greater holographic imaging and layering. I should have remembered this as my old HE560 was the same. Guess I just got used to the Sundara and Ananda. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, back to listening.
🤘😜

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #13,016 of 14,653
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #13,017 of 14,653
I believe you will have to schools here. I’m in the HEXSE camp as being the best of the HEK series. You will find most reviewers will give the nod to the HEKSE or HEK Steath as their Favorite HEK series headphone. So therefore you probably can’t go wrong with either option. At the current prices you can get either at very reasonable price point. So just go with what you feel comfortable price wise.

Jul 5, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #13,018 of 14,653
What is the consensus around here about the new HEK Stealth compared to Arya Stealth, HEKV2, HEKSE ?
There's a lot of bias within the HEK camp because the V2 and Stealth do sound different.
I recommend this review above the other's as it's a reviewer who enjoys both headphones unbiasedly, and his descriptions allow you to decide which fits the sound you're after.
https://subjective.reviews/hifiman-he-1000-stealth-energized/

The Arya Stealth and HEKSE are both closer tuned to the Susvara's ideal curve, the most neutral slightly bright presentation.
The HEKV2 has the warmest V-sig of the bunch, and the HEK Stealth somewhere between, signature leaning closer to the other stealths.
By pure technicality, it's still Arya Stealth < HEK V2 < HEK Stealth < HKSE as the pricing and age of them suggests.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #13,019 of 14,653
Let them break in. Trust me, I thought the same way with my Ananda Stealth but after the 50 hour mark the HE1KS really started to open up, and the upper-mid/treble glare I heard goes away. I couldn't go more than 30min to an hour before my ears felt like I was a rock concert, now I can listen to them for hours. Now I go back to the Anandas and are like, uhh, sorry dude back on the hook you go. It's not even a slightly fair comparison between the two, and I still have a lot of hours of break-in left on the HE1KS to match the Anandas. The former simply out classes the latter by a significant margin.

And with that said, a few more impressions now that I have had the HE1000 Stealth for a couple of weeks. As mentioned, LET THEM BREAK IN! After somewhere between 50 -75 hours ish my initial impressions have changed somewhat. I find the HE1KS to be lush, neutral-warm with well extended upper treble. The bass really tightened up, with the sub bass rumble and weight really coming to life. Mid bass hits hard, but it's more controlled and doesn't hurt my head, even at louder volumes. I initially thought the midrange was a touch laid back, but now it has finally found its place and is more coherent in the mix. As mentioned, the upper mids and lower treble lost their peaky glare and are as smooth as silk. As for the well extended upper treble, it's sweet, detailed, airy, and refined. In no way does it cause pain or fatigue. And let's not forget about the sound stage. While the width did not change, the depth and layering became more apparent and revealing. There is no longer a multi-point placement of sounds, it's smooth and linear with no defined "slot" in the stage rather the sound just goes where it needs to be.

One thing I noticed is the power requirements. I was foolish and at first had the volume set to where it would be for the Ananda. To my ears both headphones were at equal volume after back to back comparison. Nope, I was an hour or so off! It was by chance, and glad I found out early on, when I had the dial higher than normal (Chesky, 'nuff said) and went back to a track that was average loudness my ears did not bleed, rather in stead of getting "louder" the HE1KS really opened up, becoming more detailed and fuller sounding with far greater holographic imaging and layering. I should have remembered this as my old HE560 was the same. Guess I just got used to the Sundara and Ananda. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, back to listening.
🤘😜
Hey! Thanks for your reply. Have you done any EQing to yours on the 12kHz mark or otherwise?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, may you share your experience in the differences between the Ananda Stealths and the HEKV2Stealth? I feel I can't be fair in comparing by myself without knowing what to look for (and then mental games start getting played).
For example, the HEKV2Stealth feel like the punch of every note is PUNCHY, but is that just because of my brain saying that, i wonder, because I've read it here. But then I wonder again if it's just the EQ being incomplete/unnecessary.

Oh, and If you can share an example track where you think these two headphones show their differences, It'd be appreciated! I'll find the track after and try it out myself.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #13,020 of 14,653
There's a lot of bias within the HEK camp because the V2 and Stealth do sound different.
I recommend this review above the other's as it's a reviewer who enjoys both headphones unbiasedly, and his descriptions allow you to decide which fits the sound you're after.
https://subjective.reviews/hifiman-he-1000-stealth-energized/

The Arya Stealth and HEKSE are both closer tuned to the Susvara's ideal curve, the most neutral slightly bright presentation.
The HEKV2 has the warmest V-sig of the bunch, and the HEK Stealth somewhere between, signature leaning closer to the other stealths.
By pure technicality, it's still Arya Stealth < HEK V2 < HEK Stealth < HKSE as the pricing and age of them suggests.
Great write up.

My dream egg shape headphone would be Arya Stealth with more relaxed, wider expanded soundstage + a bit more texture and nuance in sub bass area, a bit more tactility from the driver overall but keeping rest of the perks of Arya Stealth which is very fast, precise, resolving, engaging sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back