Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 17, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #12,391 of 14,653
Funny thing is that in the past I agonised about fine tuning everything(cables etc) and as soon I was lost in the music I sometimes couldn’t even remember which headphone I was listening to.
When the emotional involvement kicks in everything else floats away and gets meaningless. Dare I say I use now Focal and Hifiman stock cables(luckily the HEKse cables are now black).

May 17, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #12,392 of 14,653
It's very subtle and a fun tweak.
Common, let people experiment and have a bit of fun.

Are you using the stock cable?

Unless you are talking about master clock cables - the quality matters tremendously but that's a different can of worms.
I use aftermarket ones for better ergonomic, aesthetic and XLR terminations, nothing else, the days of making HD650 brighter with silver cables are way in the past.
If anyone is after good quality and reasonably priced cables, check out SkyAudioCables on ebay, lots of options to chose from, have bunch of them, top quality craftsmanship.

May 18, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #12,393 of 14,653
May 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #12,396 of 14,653
My experience is that the HE1K Stealth is almost a downgrade. These wonderful headphones lose their charisma and what made them famous because they sound so bright and fatiguing in the Stealth version 🤷‍♂️
To me it is not a downgrade, but an alternative experience. The bass impact and depth to the soundstage present music very differently on the stealth. I listen the the V2 when I want to get lost in the music. I reach for the stealth when I want to be in the middle of it.

May 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #12,397 of 14,653
To me it is not a downgrade, but an alternative experience. The bass impact and depth to the soundstage present music very differently on the stealth. I listen the the V2 when I want to get lost in the music. I reach for the stealth when I want to be in the middle of it.
Both good in their own way, the Stealths seem to have more slam & energy, which I like, can be fatiguing if the recording is not too good otherwise very realistic & engaging I find. Needs very good downchain equipment

May 18, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #12,398 of 14,653
I use aftermarket ones for better ergonomic, aesthetic and XLR terminations, nothing else, the days of making HD650 brighter with silver cables are way in the past.
If anyone is after good quality and reasonably priced cables, check out SkyAudioCables on ebay, lots of options to chose from, have bunch of them, top quality craftsmanship.
What are your views on after-market XLR interconnects, USB / HDMI cables and power cords?
Did any of those components positively enhance your He1000 headphone?

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #12,401 of 14,653
1684567363147.jpg

Hello! I finally got to listen to the HEKV2 properly for around 3 hours ish. I'll update as I go.
Since I only have a Focal Clear MG in my hand at the moment. I can only compare these two.
Also, I'm very new and a complete amateur when it comes to Audiophile terms or writing in general. This is why instead of writing different type of technicalities or tonalities comparison. I would rather compared them with each different Genre and Tracks I've tested them in and tell you my Subjective opinion.
All of my music files are purchased from Qobuz Hi-res, so they're either 44.1Khz or Up

Jazz :
For this I listened to 2 tracks.

First Track : "Some Day My Prince Will Come" by Bill Evans.
Comparison:
Winner HEKV2
When it comes the midrange, I feel like they are almost on par. However, where HEKV2 blew MG out of the water is on the Resolution and Sound stage ( Not a surprised). Every music instrument feels like they are in the right position. The Piano sounds right, with amazing resolution. You can actually listen and focus on whether those notes are coming from the right hand or the left hand. Where in he MG the Piano sounds like a part of 1 instrument, the HEKV2 makes the piano sounds more 3 Dimensional. I am very impressed if I could say so myself.

Another one like I mentioned on the Top. The bass solo that or just the bass in general in the HEKV2 you can hear each notes, and identify them Whereas in the Clear MG, everything sounds mushy and doesn't have enough texture. Sure it has more dynamics and a bit more punchiness, but you can't really identify the notes of the Bass itself. It makes the solo starts at the mark 3:12 becomes very enjoyable.

Second Track : "Adria Blue" by a Japanese Jazz Band called the "bohemianvodoo".

Comparison:
Winner HEKV2
In this song in particular the resolution of the midrange especially the timbre of the guitar, blew the MG out of the water. You can actually hear the guitar strings vibration during the start of the track. Which blew my mind the first time I listened to it. Another thing that's very obvious is how good HEKV2 separates every single musical instrument. In the MG everything sounds like its blend together which resulted in the track sounding very busy. However the HEKV2 adds more treble, air and almost space for the individual intrument to stands out. It makes this song that is usually feels busy and messy, became much more musical and more fun to listen to.

Japanese City Pop :

First Track : "Midnight Pretenders" by Tomoko Aran
Winner MG

Comparison :
I'm actually quite a bit torn when it comes to this one. Although the HEKV2 provide a better soundstage, separationg and detail. I prefer listening this on the Clear MG. The reason for that is because the treble on this song especially the hi-cymbals and the vocals sounds a bit sharp. Sure the HEKV2 itself smooths the treble, but as someone who is treble sensitive this is very distracting. With the Clear MG the that hi-cymbals are tamed slightly due to the warm signature it has. Even though it doesn't have the amount of detail (e.g. backing vocals), soundstage and detail its much more enjoyables and relaxing.

Second Track : "Gatsby Woman" by Kingo Hamada
Winner HEKV2

Once again, HEKV2 won on this one. Even though it doesn't slam as hard or punchy as the MG. The song sounds very enjoyable, with the more detail. I can hear the intrument separates better compared to the MG. On top of that, the Drums on the HEKV2 has this unique feeling of airiness every hits, that just sounds satisfying. At the mark 1:53 in the track, there's this effect of airplane that sounds very trebl-y taking off from right to left, with the MG it would instantly hurt my ear. However the HEKV2 sucesfully smoothen its out and makes the sounds actually much more immersive.

I'm going to test more Genres as I go, so I hope I could help people that's looking for a specific headphones to listen to a specific genre of music.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #12,402 of 14,653
I might need to get a better DAC. I'm thinking of getting the composer 3xp. As of now, I use the Ifi Zen Dac v2 as the DAC and Soloist as my Amp. I feel like the treble is a bit harsh especially when I'm listening to female vocals. The Top end became a bit too much, and I can't really listen with the volume I find most immersing.

May 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #12,403 of 14,653
I might need to get a better DAC. I'm thinking of getting the composer 3xp. As of now, I use the Ifi Zen Dac v2 as the DAC and Soloist as my Amp. I feel like the treble is a bit harsh especially when I'm listening to female vocals. The Top end became a bit too much, and I can't really listen with the volume I find most immersing.
If they're new give them 100-200hr burning in to set to their sound signature ( almost )

May 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #12,404 of 14,653
I have the Zen DAC v2 and it is a lot smoother sounding up top than the Composer 3XP. The Composer 3XP with the ESS DAC chips would be harsher sounding. Even though Burson has done a great job with its implementation of the ESS DAC chips.

May 20, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #12,405 of 14,653
If they're new give them 100-200hr burning in to set to their sound signature ( almost )
You could be right. I bought them used, but the buyer bought it new from March 2023. So I doubt it's getting 100-200 hours yet.
I have the Zen DAC v2 and it is a lot smoother sounding up top than the Composer 3XP. The Composer 3XP with the ESS DAC chips would be harsher sounding. Even though Burson has done a great job with its implementation of the ESS DAC chips.
Interesting.. I might have to find something else then. Any reccs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back