Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #11,836 of 14,805
I'm "blaming" (but not unhappily so, hah!) all of you here for "forcing" me to buy an open-box HE1000 V2 from Headamp for $1599 USD -- set to be delivered to me on Tuesday, I believe, maybe Wednesday, of next week. I assume it's going to the be the non-stealth-magnets V2 with 3.5mm, but I suppose there's an outside chance it's actually a Stealth HE1000 -- other way, having read almost this entire thread, I think I am going to like it as an upgrade from my humble Ananda (non-stealth).

I did waver back and forth between getting this OB HE1000 V2 for $1599 versus a brand new Arya Stealth 🥷 for $1299, but after enough musing about it, I thought, "what the hell," and just pulled the trigger on the HE1000 V2.

We'll see how it goes! :L3000:

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #11,837 of 14,805
that was mine homie. i had it in my cart and it vanished :grin:

it's definitely the 3.5mm OG v2 and it's in mint condition. i had just spoken to dude on the phone and then went to buy it and it wouldnt process. Annoyed tf out of me lol.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #11,838 of 14,805
that was mine homie. i had it in my cart and it vanished :grin:

it's definitely the 3.5mm OG v2 and it's in mint condition. i had just spoken to dude on the phone and then went to buy it and it wouldnt process. Annoyed tf out of me lol.
Holy moly, that’s weird, I’m half sorry but honestly I do know how that feels as it has happened to me 😂

Truthfully, I’ve mulled it over for about 5 days and almost put it in my cart days ago but didn’t until today.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #11,839 of 14,805
I'm "blaming" (but not unhappily so, hah!) all of you here for "forcing" me to buy an open-box HE1000 V2 from Headamp for $1599 USD -- set to be delivered to me on Tuesday, I believe, maybe Wednesday, of next week. I assume it's going to the be the non-stealth-magnets V2 with 3.5mm, but I suppose there's an outside chance it's actually a Stealth HE1000 -- other way, having read almost this entire thread, I think I am going to like it as an upgrade from my humble Ananda (non-stealth).

I did waver back and forth between getting this OB HE1000 V2 for $1599 versus a brand new Arya Stealth 🥷 for $1299, but after enough musing about it, I thought, "what the hell," and just pulled the trigger on the HE1000 V2.

We'll see how it goes! :L3000:
What dac/amp are you pairing with the Hek1000v2?

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #11,840 of 14,805
Holy moly, that’s weird, I’m half sorry but honestly I do know how that feels as it has happened to me 😂

Truthfully, I’ve mulled it over for about 5 days and almost put it in my cart days ago but didn’t until today.
Im just glad it was one of us, Bro. Price was right and I talked to Kevin and he said the cans are mint. Enjoy and report!

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #11,841 of 14,805
What dac/amp are you pairing with the Hek1000v2?
Eh, well I have three locations, two offices and home. At my principal office, a Benchmark DAC1 into a Schiit Jot 2. At home, a Yulong D100 into a Cayin iHA-6. And at my second office, a SMSL SU-8 from which I can select a Schiit Jot or Drop THX-789.

I also have a HiFIMAN EF100 I might pull out, out of curiosity, as it has a tube.

Im just glad it was one of us, Bro. Price was right and I talked to Kevin and he said the cans are mint. Enjoy and report!

You are a gracious guy, I will definitely report back! 😊 And I also thought the price was too good to pass up.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #11,842 of 14,805
Sounds like for the thread's purposes you are the better one to get them as that is a nice collection of amps and dacs you have. Should make for quite a few interesting impressions.
Kevin told me they do Fed Ex so that even Sunday deliveries happen so you might get it Sunday.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #11,843 of 14,805
Hello guys, any suggestion on the amp to pick up to pair it with the HE 1000 V2 Stealth ?

- Auris HA2-SF
- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
- Schiit Lyr+
- Feliks Euforia Evo
- Something else ?

Budget <3200 $€

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #11,844 of 14,805
Hello guys, any suggestion on the amp to pick up to pair it with the HE 1000 V2 Stealth ?

- Auris HA2-SF
- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
- Schiit Lyr+
- Feliks Euforia Evo
- Something else ?

Budget <3200 $€

Thanks a lot.
My question as well. I am getting HE1000SE soon.
I have shortlised
- Burson Soloist 3X GT
- iFi iCan Pro Signature
I'm unable to demo these, not sure ehich one has better synergy with the headphone.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #11,845 of 14,805

- Auris HA2-SF
- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
- Schiit Lyr+
- Feliks Euforia Evo
- Something else ?

Budget <3200 $€

Thanks a lot.
For me I am lusting for the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos really bad.

Second choice would be iFi iCan Pro Signature imo.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #11,846 of 14,805

- Auris HA2-SF
- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
- Schiit Lyr+
- Feliks Euforia Evo
- Something else ?

Budget <3200 $€

Thanks a lot.

I own the HE-1000v2 and pair it with the Auris HA2-SF. I love the pairing. (Non stealth version, so I'd imagine it would have no trouble with the stealth version which is easier to drive.)

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #11,847 of 14,805

- Auris HA2-SF
- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos
- Schiit Lyr+
- Feliks Euforia Evo
- Something else ?

Budget <3200 $€

Thanks a lot.
I've been owner of the LYR+ and MMb2 for a few weeks now, and can highly recommend trying this combo!
The combination of LYR+ - MMb2 - HE-1000 Stealth (+ Harman target), sounds like a dream come true:

it sounds like a hi-res analog medium.

It probably doesn't fit every headphone.
But an ultra high-resolution HE-1000 Stealth, like the one I have, harmonizes to my ears, excellent with a bit of dirt in the signal.
I can hardly imagine a naturally rather soft and relatively less dynamic headphone, like the DCA models, in this chain.
Then, I suspect, the sound would be too blurry.

For decades I gave the Amp and the DAC too little role, in terms of their influence on the overall sound. The Schiit products I mentioned, triggered a rethink in me.
The HE-1000 Stealth sounds better on the LYR+ than on the A90D.
It also sounds better with the MMb2 than with the E50. The Hifiman reminds me of the LCD 5 in many ways. I sold it after a few months because it sounded too aggressive.

I am particularly enthusiastic about the NOS mode. I've spent many hours switching back and forth between NOS and OS.
It was also important for me, to take a few measurements to see how bad the signal is with NOS.
From a metrological point of view, I find the NOS mode really scary.

1kHz sine wave NOS
20230305_151919.jpg

1kHz sine wave OS
20230305_151930.jpg

10kHz sine wave NOS
20230305_153858.jpg

10kHz sine wave OS
20230305_153734.jpg

IR NOS
20230305_161115.jpg

IR OS
20230305_160803.jpg

1kHZ Spectrum NOS
nos44.1khz.JPG

1kHZ Spectrum OS
nos176.4khz.JPG

Distortion NOS
nos 44.1khz2.jpg

Distortion OS
os2.jpg

20230303_160425.gif

Filter FR
FILTER.jpg

Red - NOS 48kHz
Yellow - OS 48kHz
Blue - NOS 44.1kHz
Green - OS 44.1kHz

But as the sound goes, I have to admit that I'm simply thrilled. At least in my chain, the sound in NOS mode is changed in the exact direction I want. To me it sounded like some transient sharpening was taken away.
The music also seems to have more coherence overall.

My impression is that many TOTL headphones these days have such a high resolution that the transients are just overemphasized,
and this makes the sound too aggressive.
You can't get that with the EQ.
With tubes and NOS, apparently yes.
With such a constellation, you get a sound that I have never experienced before.

In my experience, the opposite way, i.e. ultra-clean amps + DACs, paired with headphones, that don’t have quite as high a resolution, does not lead to the same result, by the way.

Attachments

• nos 48khz.jpg
    nos 48khz.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230305_170358.jpg
    20230305_170358.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230305_170456.jpg
    20230305_170456.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #11,848 of 14,805
So I finally got to audition the Stealth at a local HiFi summit (Sound-Society in Aarhus Denmark), which was my first summit. Super exciting! Listened to headphones mainly, but also to speaker systems that went from a couple grand up to 500.000€.

I came there with the hopes of listening (mainly) to the He1000 Stealth to get some initial impressions. For reference, I am an owner of the He1000 V2, 3.5 mm (non-Stealth) with an EF400 Dac-amp, new to the hobby. I originally auditioned the Ananda, Arya Stealth and the Susvara before ultimately taking the plunge on the He1000 V2's - but it was a blind purchase since, I just could NOT find them to audition anywhere.

The room with Hifiman products was almost completely empty for hours (crazy, but a lot of people were downstairs listening to speakers), so I got to sit with them for quite a while, in peace, and trying them out on a few amplifiers (mainly the Violectric DHA V590-2, and the HPA V222). The booth also had heaps of other cans for me to contrast and compare (got to revisit the majestic Susvara that sat with the Enleum, but also Ananda, Arya, Meze Empyrian and Elite, and the D8000Pro).

So! Initial impressions! (take everything with two scoops of salt - I'm new here, and just sharing my impressions the best that I can).
-Overall, the Stealth sounded great! Very detailed, though not overly so. It seemed like a great allrounder, with authoritative bass (more mid-bass than the He1000 V2's) and extended yet polite(ish) treble. Key differences, outside of detail and imaging, were that the vocals were definitely a bit more recessed than on the He1000 V2's, and I had the sensation of being in a smaller room with the music. I could just write soundstage, but being new to the hobby I would rather describe the sensation I got than pretend to have heard dozens of cans to be able to comment on their relative soundstage. Drums sounded amaaaazing on the Stealth (I'm a drummer, so I really appreciated that).

(Pictured below)
tempImage0gkEd4.jpg
tempImagekP9dgo.jpg

While I listen to a lot of genres on an everyday basis (I'm into both experimental rap, art-pop, some heavy & punk) my main listens with the He1000 V2's are with singer-songwriter, acoustic and alternative music (think Adrianne Lenker/Big Thief, Ben Howard, Bon Iver and Black Country, New Road). This is the music that I love to just sit down with and get swept away in emotions. And for those genres I seemed be closer, more emotionally connected to the music with the original He1000 V2's than with the Stealths. It wasn't that the vocals were just louder in the mix, it is as if the singer is presented in a more (non-expert jargon here) 'vulnerable' way, with an airy but really potent quality to vocals.
-I know auditory memory is not something to rely on, and I know that HiFi Summit places are not equivalent to at home listening, but with this carpeted, curtain-draped old hotel room that I had to myself for an hour I would say was a pretty good opportunity for close auditioning.

I've also never heard my own He1000 V2's on anything other than the EF400, so a next step for me is to bring them both to a local dealer, who have just gotten the Stealths on hand, compare further, and also try out both cans on various chains. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a photo of the He1000 V2, sitting at home:
1E2A735B-906E-4760-BA3D-3F6255F0E3E1.JPG

Oh, and notable mentions from the summit: The dCS stack (with a LCD-5) was bonkers. I would love to have heard that stack with any higher-end Hifiman can. I tried out the Chord line-up and wish that I could spend more time the Hugo TT2 and M-scaler. Also, the Audeze CRBN electrostats were actually very reminiscent of my He1000 V2's, and I liked them A LOT.

Thanks for reading along!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #11,849 of 14,805
I recently got an Icon audio HP8 signature amp with upgraded tubes to use with my HE1000 stealth & I am very pleased with the results, prefer it to my Burson 3XP. Very natural & powerful sound with great sound stage and separation. Seems to work well with my Spring 3KTE. First experience with tube’s but very impressed so far

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #11,850 of 14,805
So I finally got to audition the Stealth at a local HiFi summit (Sound-Society in Aarhus Denmark), which was my first summit. Super exciting! Listened to headphones mainly, but also to speaker systems that went from a couple grand up to 500.000€.

I came there with the hopes of listening (mainly) to the He1000 Stealth to get some initial impressions. For reference, I am an owner of the He1000 V2, 3.5 mm (non-Stealth) with an EF400 Dac-amp, new to the hobby. I originally auditioned the Ananda, Arya Stealth and the Susvara before ultimately taking the plunge on the He1000 V2's - but it was a blind purchase since, I just could NOT find them to audition anywhere.

The room with Hifiman products was almost completely empty for hours (crazy, but a lot of people were downstairs listening to speakers), so I got to sit with them for quite a while, in peace, and trying them out on a few amplifiers (mainly the Violectric DHA V590-2, and the HPA V222). The booth also had heaps of other cans for me to contrast and compare (got to revisit the majestic Susvara that sat with the Enleum, but also Ananda, Arya, Meze Empyrian and Elite, and the D8000Pro).

So! Initial impressions! (take everything with two scoops of salt - I'm new here, and just sharing my impressions the best that I can).
-Overall, the Stealth sounded great! Very detailed, though not overly so. It seemed like a great allrounder, with authoritative bass (more mid-bass than the He1000 V2's) and extended yet polite(ish) treble. Key differences, outside of detail and imaging, were that the vocals were definitely a bit more recessed than on the He1000 V2's, and I had the sensation of being in a smaller room with the music. I could just write soundstage, but being new to the hobby I would rather describe the sensation I got than pretend to have heard dozens of cans to be able to comment on their relative soundstage. Drums sounded amaaaazing on the Stealth (I'm a drummer, so I really appreciated that).

(Pictured below)
tempImage0gkEd4.jpgtempImagekP9dgo.jpg

While I listen to a lot of genres on an everyday basis (I'm into both experimental rap, art-pop, some heavy & punk) my main listens with the He1000 V2's are with singer-songwriter, acoustic and alternative music (think Adrianne Lenker/Big Thief, Ben Howard, Bon Iver and Black Country, New Road). This is the music that I love to just sit down with and get swept away in emotions. And for those genres I seemed be closer, more emotionally connected to the music with the original He1000 V2's than with the Stealths. It wasn't that the vocals were just louder in the mix, it is as if the singer is presented in a more (non-expert jargon here) 'vulnerable' way, with an airy but really potent quality to vocals.
-I know auditory memory is not something to rely on, and I know that HiFi Summit places are not equivalent to at home listening, but with this carpeted, curtain-draped old hotel room that I had to myself for an hour I would say was a pretty good opportunity for close auditioning.

I've also never heard my own He1000 V2's on anything other than the EF400, so a next step for me is to bring them both to a local dealer, who have just gotten the Stealths on hand, compare further, and also try out both cans on various chains. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a photo of the He1000 V2, sitting at home:
1E2A735B-906E-4760-BA3D-3F6255F0E3E1.JPG

Oh, and notable mentions from the summit: The dCS stack (with a LCD-5) was bonkers. I would love to have heard that stack with any higher-end Hifiman can. I tried out the Chord line-up and wish that I could spend more time the Hugo TT2 and M-scaler. Also, the Audeze CRBN electrostats were actually very reminiscent of my He1000 V2's, and I liked them A LOT.

Thanks for reading along!
Great impressions, matches to ones from German forum where OG were described as more "emotional" phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back