Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #11,701 of 14,653
So what is the consensus on HE1000 series. Not so good, look for somthing else? Very bright, treble heavy, need a setup to tame down, but can buy? Or if anyway someone would like to buy them, any priority order can be given completely based on sound signature (and ignoring individual cost differences and built quality etc)?
If I give below priority order 1, 2, 3, would that be correct
1. Best - HE1000SE - least bright among 3 in good sense, wider and more depth in soundstage, more resolution
2. Next - HE1000V2 (non stealth) - brighter than SE, highest width in soundstage among 3, lower depth than SE
3. Last - HE1000 Stealth - most bright among 3, focused sound, least soundstage, most punchy bass

These sound signature are as per other members commented in previous post. My apologies if I have mentioned something wrong, please correct.

EDIT:
1. From Tada : "The SE is brighter than the V2 by quite a margin"
2. From boodi : "v2 has hotter mids and higher mids"
3. From borkenarrou: "HE1000 Stealth is the step up over the Arya, the true successor of the HE1000 V2 is indeed the HE1000 SE with more resolution"
I think it's more personal preference rather than one being better than the other.

This is how I see the current HE1000 family:

1. HE1000SE - Stealth magnets, easiest to drive, great soundstage, best resolution/detail among the 3. Closest to Susvara. But tends to have sharp/spicy treble. Could be due to amp pairing or iteration?

2. HE1000 V2 (non stealth) - relaxed, laid back presentation. Attack could come off as "soft". Great soundstage in terms of width, depth, and height. Diffused almost HD800 like. A good upgrade from Arya V2. But hardest to drive.

3. HE1000 Stealth - direct upgrade from Arya Stealth. Shares the same characteristics but better technicalities. Slightly more detail than non stealth version, but more intimate and focused soundstage. Forward and engaging presentation. More impact and punch.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #11,702 of 14,653
I think it's more personal preference rather than one being better than the other.

This is how I see the current HE1000 family:

1. HE1000SE - Stealth magnets, easiest to drive, great soundstage, best resolution/detail among the 3. Closest to Susvara. But tends to have sharp/spicy treble. Could be due to amp pairing or iteration?

2. HE1000 V2 (non stealth) - relaxed, laid back presentation. Attack could come off as "soft". Great soundstage in terms of width, depth, and height. Diffused almost HD800 like. A good upgrade from Arya V2. But hardest to drive.

3. HE1000 Stealth - direct upgrade from Arya Stealth. Shares the same characteristics but better technicalities. Slightly more detail than non stealth version, but more intimate and focused soundstage. Forward and engaging presentation. More impact and punch.
Seems to be perfect summary. Can someone try to provide a desktop DAC + AMP combination example which may have best synergy with them individually, based on their unique sound signature. Just one combination for each of three headphones separately would be enough to give an idea and will help us take right decisions. Thanks a lot again for this new ask.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #11,703 of 14,653
But why, necessarily ? (on the second part)
Possibly wishful thinking from my poor ass lol!
I havent ever heard any ot the $2000 cables or anything like that. Best Ive heard was a ~$500 Artic cable, and it sounded awesome.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #11,704 of 14,653
Of course there is!

When they tell you that the headphones need 150-200hrs burn in. Guess what?

Not only will our amazing brains adapt to the sound signature of the headphones, trying to give us the perception that they sound more „normal/lifelike“

(which doesn’t mean the headphones do become better in absolute terms, only relative to what we heard initially),

BUT
After 200 hours, the return period is over if you are not running the headphones for 15hrs or more per day (which most people won’t do).

So then you are stuck with a headphone that you can not send back anymore and on which you just spent 2000$.

But it’s not a problem! The experts told me it will sound better now. If I just listen carefully to my music again, I can surely find the treble being smoother now -confirmation bias intensifies-….
Ah here it is, the extra detail I was searching for!
I knew it :) I would never make a bad 2000$ investment, right!
(And in the end the customer and the salesman are happy).

Don’t get me wrong though. I think to some degree, burn in works for moving mechanical parts. But even on the lowest frequencies, if used on high volume, 20min of audio playback will equal to over 1million diaphragm/driver excursions for 100hz frequencies.
That should very well do the trick. Let’s even say 5-10 hours. If that won’t make the headphones sound enjoyable, send them back. Otherwise only the confirmation bias can save a person from acknowledging that he/she fell for a sales strategy.
Good point.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #11,705 of 14,653
Curious what the new Audivina's tuning will be like, and the pricing relative to the HE1000 given the similar shape.

Just have to wait and see I guess.
From ecoustics.com:
$1999
"AUDIVINA features a frequency response of 5Hz-55kHz. Impedance is 20 ohms, sensitivity is rated at 97dB, and the weight is 470 grams/16.57 ounces"

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #11,706 of 14,653
From ecoustics.com:
$1999
"AUDIVINA features a frequency response of 5Hz-55kHz. Impedance is 20 ohms, sensitivity is rated at 97dB, and the weight is 470 grams/16.57 ounces"
Definitely looking forward to reading more about these. Doubt I’ll spring for closed backs but curious for sure.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #11,709 of 14,653
Wow thats a steal for $799. I may have to grab that one.

Feb 23, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #11,711 of 14,653
I’m wishing they would come out with a standalone himalaya R2R DAC. I don’t need or want the amp but a good affordable R2R DAC would be intriguing

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #11,713 of 14,653
Guys I need some advice here.
The silver plastic thing(?) that keeps the headband in place on my new stealth is firm on the left, but looser on the right; it goes up and down a bit, but doesn't change the step for now. Questions:

- has anyone had this problem and did it get worse in time? I have no idea how it's built inside (on the outside looks good) and if it will get worse
- is it well built your he1000? Honestly mine is inaccurate in a few places, worse than my Arya stealth. But the sound is perfect

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #11,714 of 14,653
You paid more than a few bucks for coffee, just go straight to the support.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #11,715 of 14,653
HFM and quality should not be put in the same sentence, unless you add a "not" somewhere in there :face_palm:
:face_palm: :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back