Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #11,101 of 14,805
The Susvara has its own character, like all headphones.
It is very airy and "delicate".
The Stealth has significantly more impact, and structure, punch, pressure in the bass.
Therefore, I like it better.
I also feel the timbre of the Stealth as more authentic.
I gladly do without the plus in resolution. Because I have already made the experience with the LCD 5, that at some point, a point is reached, where even more resolution seems somehow counterproductive.

For my part, I can't take most a/b comparisons that people make seriously. Because few of them bring the headphones to a volume level in terms of measurement. But that is extremely important.
And very few people bring the headphones not to an almost identical frequency response when comparing them. For me, this point is also very important, because I do not want to compare the tonality, but the technical capabilities. For me, tonality is a variable that needs to be personalized.

You could also look at the whole thing from another perspective:
for most, my statements could be useless.

One thing I must still clarify.
Ultimately, I do not doubt that there are slight differences in sound between amplifiers (although my basic attitude is: an amplifier should not "Sound", but amplify signals as neutrally as possible. However, I'm still trying to gain more and more knowledge and experience, and ultimately rely on my ears, not on measurements), but the point is not whether the a90d harmonizes (too cold, analytical, what ever) perfectly with the Susvara.
Many are convinced that this amplifier has too little power.
This is simply wrong
(It can drive them with 116 dB SPL).
As far as this point is concerned, objective measurements are the most helpful thing available.
This point has nothing to do with any subjective perception.

For the 232 time: unused power, can not be heard.

20230117_193650.jpg

I would like to know how many people who speak up here, believing they can judge how "good" (or should we say how expensive 🤫) an amplifier must be, to be "worthy" of the Susvara, have done a blind test between amplifiers (like I did here "professionally" set up on my couch) where they can switch between two amplifiers, uninterrupted. Many would certainly be amazed at the result.

Because just the fact that you have spent 5000 € for an amplifier, that you can see a beautiful device in front of you, and the expectation attitude, makes so much with you...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #11,103 of 14,805
For the 232 time: unused power, can not be heard.

Are you implying that headphones do not benefit from more current, other than loudness? Things like staging/imaging, warmth (fuller bass) or dynamics? All my past headphones with higher sensitivity get plenty loud plugged into my Xperia's headphone jack, but they sound much leaner, muddier, and congested compared to when they are driven off my Burson amp. I guess I am blinded by all the voodoo because I am hearing "unused power."

Are you also denying that headphones can have better (or worse) synergy with different dacs or amps? Have you not considered that what we actually hear and perceive is more important than scientific measurements?

Honestly your constant berating of others enjoying this hobby is getting tiresome.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #11,104 of 14,805
Either a certain power is called up or not. Either the amplifier generates the retrieved power clean or not. Exactly this is the point, where one must separate subjectivity from objectivity. I am not berating anyone, nor do I want to deny anyone their individuality or subjectivity.

I'm just saying that if someone makes an ab comparison without bringing the devices to the same volume, that comparison is worthless to me. Unfortunately, this is more the rule than the exception.

For me the chapter Susvara is hereby closed.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #11,106 of 14,805
By the way, I have the impression that the Lyr+ harmonizes very well with the V2 Stealth.👌

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #11,108 of 14,805
have to throw the BS flag... I'm sure this amp would sound much different than the A90 amp with any of the Hifiman Headphones ......

With up to 25W per channel it can most certainly burst most headphones to flames, ok. But why would it sound "better"?? Does it have a built-in DSP that is optimized for the HE-1000, Susvara etc? Or does it make anything wrong that magically enhances the sound of Hifimans?

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #11,109 of 14,805
I'm just waiting for someone to say they can do an A/B blind test and say they can't hear the difference from a Bakoon to a A90 .... at 25W there must be unused watts just waiting in the background... :)

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #11,110 of 14,805
Just a question - If I take a microphone and I whisper into the mic One,Two,Three does anyone here think the amp is delivering the same wattage as instead of whispering I now yell as loud as I can One,Two,Three and the amp has the exact same volume setting???

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #11,111 of 14,805
With up to 25W per channel it can most certainly burst most headphones to flames, ok. But why would it sound "better"?? Does it have a built-in DSP that is optimized for the HE-1000, Susvara etc? Or does it make anything wrong that magically enhances the sound of Hifimans?
Tuning and component synergy, would be my guess.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #11,113 of 14,805
Tuning and component synergy, would be my guess.
If it is tuned (aka not neutral anymore) in a way the Hifimans match positively to, yes this would work. But what if you want to use headphones from another brand one day with the 6k amp? Maybe they'll sound off?!?

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #11,114 of 14,805
When Tesla came into existence, there were claims based on measurements that since it reaches 0-60 in less than 4 seconds which is the same number as many super cars do, folks can throw out their Ferraris and Lambos from their garage :) measurements like axle ratio, Brembo brake thickness, energy conversion efficiency, weight to fuel ratio and all of that is not enough and there are much more subtle elements to it apart from these measurements for the ultimate driving experience. I feel, audiophile hobby is also similar to this concept in many ways. You know it when you feel it! Wow, am in a philosophical mood today ..LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back