Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #10,381 of 14,805
Oops.
I had no longer on the screen.
And then I will rather delete this picture, and post the album what I heard afterwards, and which of course blew me away on the HEK...😬

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #10,382 of 14,805
Another impressive example of the HEK's ability to make ANYTHING sound good:
Rosenstolz - Live in Berlin.

Download.jpeg.jpg

I've listened to this album felt 746428 times, and know it by heart.
In my memory it has stored as too bright and crappy bass.
Not with the HEK V2. It's hard to believe.
This recording sounds really good now.
NOT too bright. NOTHING to complain about in the bass!
This ability of the HEK, to make everything sound great, cannot be overstated!

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #10,383 of 14,805
I bought a second hand pair of the original HE1000s a couple of months ago. I love them and and they have been on my head almost exclusively for that time. My reference headphones are Stax SR 007 mk 2 and the original Sennheiser HD800. Subsequently I managed to pick up a used pair of HE1000SEs recently. They are wonderful, but sound almost too detailed, and I was surprised how different they sounded in relation to the originals. I am using a Topping A90 amp and Oppo 205 player as source. I am still getting used to the SEs, but they do seem a bit bright, and I keep returning to the originals. I wonder if the V2 would be more to my taste? I can't afford to keep more than one, but do not have the possibility of trying the V2. How great are the sonic differences between the 3 versions? To me, the SEs sound quite different from the V1. I'm wondering if the V2 would be a good compromise? Thanks in advance!

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #10,385 of 14,805
I bought a second hand pair of the original HE1000s a couple of months ago. I love them and and they have been on my head almost exclusively for that time. My reference headphones are Stax SR 007 mk 2 and the original Sennheiser HD800. Subsequently I managed to pick up a used pair of HE1000SEs recently. They are wonderful, but sound almost too detailed, and I was surprised how different they sounded in relation to the originals. I am using a Topping A90 amp and Oppo 205 player as source. I am still getting used to the SEs, but they do seem a bit bright, and I keep returning to the originals. I wonder if the V2 would be more to my taste? I can't afford to keep more than one, but do not have the possibility of trying the V2. How great are the sonic differences between the 3 versions? To me, the SEs sound quite different from the V1. I'm wondering if the V2 would be a good compromise? Thanks in advance!
Some discussion on the topic here, you might not be alone preferring V2 to SE.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #10,386 of 14,805
Another impressive example of the HEK's ability to make ANYTHING sound good:
Rosenstolz - Live in Berlin.

Download.jpeg.jpg

I've listened to this album felt 746428 times, and know it by heart.
In my memory it has stored as too bright and crappy bass.
Not with the HEK V2. It's hard to believe.
This recording sounds really good now.
NOT too bright. NOTHING to complain about in the bass!
This ability of the HEK, to make everything sound great, cannot be overstated!
How does the Hekv2 compare to the Focal Utopia and Lcd 5s?

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #10,387 of 14,805
The Hifiman is the most comfortable. Followed by the Utopia.

From the sound of course all three are absolutely world class.
Where I felt the change from the Utopia on the LCD-5 as an upgrade.
The weakness of the Utopia is the sub bass, and the very slightly metallic timbre (cause of this is in my opinion the beryllium).
The weakness of the LCD-5 is its rather aggressive midrange and treble.
I don't mean the tonality, which I always adjust according to Harman anyway.
It is a basic characteristic.
This has also ensured that I sold it again.
Even if I try hard, I do not find any significant weakness of the HEK.
It already brings a lot to the table, which for me makes the perfect headphones.

The strength of the Utopia, is a very intimate presentation, which is especially beneficial to vocals.
The strengths of the LCD are its incredible resolution and a unbelievable bass
However, in my opinion, at some point a level of resolution is reached, where even more becomes counterproductive, as it becomes too exhausting for the brain.
No one needs more resolution than HEK, or Utopia.
If you now add the price, the HEK is clearly my favorite.

The HEK's greatest strength, compared to the other two, is it's ability to just make everything sound good, as mentioned several times before.
Another example from yesterday:

RZA - In Stereo.

61YAq-cybcL._AC_SX466_.jpg

One of my favorite albums from my youth, which I listened to yesterday, for a long time again.
I can not repeat it often enough, it's just incredible, even this junk recorded album, sounds pretty good on the HEK.
So I do not know this album at all.

What more could you want, than a magician, who makes your favorite music sound good?!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #10,388 of 14,805
what are your impressions of the LCD-5 and the HE1000V2 if the LCD-5 had proper EQ applied and it balanced out the sound with maybe a tad bass shelf added ..... I'm asking because I am thinking of adding the LCD-5 and not sure if its going to be a compliment to the HEKV2 or not... many say the LCD-5 needs EQ to correct the balance... I have not tried the EQ on the HEKV2 yet to see if it even needs it... it sounds pretty good to me out of the box...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #10,389 of 14,805
All statements I have made are based on the Harman target.
I basically set up all headphones according to it.
Oratory's EQ settings are the starting point for me. Subsequently, personalized.
In the case of the LCD-5, a lot of this personalization work was still necessary in the high frequency range. Nevertheless, I did not manage to get rid of the aforementioned aggressiveness. The lcd-5 is highly impressive in a short listening session. But in the long run, as I said, it is too aggressive in the mids and highs.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #10,390 of 14,805
I think that the LCD 5, is the ideal tool for the recording studio

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #10,391 of 14,805
And as for comfort:
it won't be easy for you,
if you're used to the HEK.
In photos the pads look much more comfortable, than they are in reality...

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #10,393 of 14,805
If someone wants to test,
how nooice the bass of the HEK V2 is...😬

Screenshot_20220919-193020_Neutron Player.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back