Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 17, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #10,276 of 14,805
I read a lot of positives for FA-10. I just couldn't find it anymore, at least not from the retailers that I am comfortable with. Will see.
Thanks!
I am also using the Singxer Sa1 with the Ares 2 dac. This combo ran my Arya v2 and SE quite well.

Ordered the HekV2 today.
I am hoping my dac and amp combo is adequate for the HekV2.
Also hoping I can hear a noticeable upgrade from the Arya SE and v2.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #10,277 of 14,805
I am also using the Singxer Sa1 with the Ares 2 dac. This combo ran my Arya v2 and SE quite well.

Ordered the HekV2 today.
FWIW, I like my HEKv1 (with HEKv2 pads) better than my Arya v1 and v2. Based on my listening experience with my gear, my rankings are (from best to worst): bass (HEKv1 = Arya v1 > Arya v2), mids (HEKv1 > Arya v2 > Arya v1), and treble (HEKv1 > Arya v2 > Arya v1). For the bass, the HEKv1's room-enveloping bass was matched by the Arya v1. To my disappointment, the Arya v2 just didn't have the same bass quality when it replaced my broken Arya v1's, which others in the Arya thread noticed. As for the mids, I found that the Arya v1's mids were way too withdrawn to my liking compared to the HEKv1 and Arya v2. As for the treble, I found the Arya v1's treble a bit too etched for my ears. The treble on the HEKv1 is smoother than the Arya v1's and (a hair-so) v2's. To me, the HEKv1 has the best qualities (at least the ones that I care about) of the Arya v1 and v2. I barely listen to my Arya v2's these days.

Just my personal preference between the three cans.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #10,278 of 14,805

Ordered the HekV2 today.

Keep us inform, especially HEK vs Arya SE !

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #10,279 of 14,805

Ordered the HekV2 today.
Singxer sa1 high gain has adequate power for hekv2 (and arya v2 with which I used low gain most of the time). I am very curious on what you will find comparing arya se and hekv2. You will however certainly hear a weaker bass compared against arya se, and a more mid-forward presentation against arya v2.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #10,280 of 14,805
I read a lot of positives for FA-10. I just couldn't find it anymore, at least not from the retailers that I am comfortable with. Will see.
Thanks!

There are lot of sub $1000 amps out there and when one says they are excellent and give a 5 star rating, they account price as one of the main criteria. They know a $5000 amp like Bakoon, WA33, Pathos, Simaudio Neo 430 will blow them away if one compares it. But this Flux FA-10 even though falls in sub $1000 category holds it's own and never gets embarrassed when compared to other big boys so a good choice if you find one. HE1000 certainly shines with FA-10 IMO. All the best.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #10,282 of 14,805
Singxer sa1 high gain has adequate power for hekv2 (and arya v2 with which I used low gain most of the time). I am very curious on what you will find comparing arya se and hekv2. You will however certainly hear a weaker bass compared against arya se, and a more mid-forward presentation against arya v2.
The mixed reviews of the HekV2 vs Arya v2 vs SE got me curious.

Personally, the sound signature of the Arya SE isn't end game for me. The sound stage is relatively too small (vs Arya v2) and I miss the memorable Arya V2 soundstage.
Some have stated with adequate burn, the soundstage of Arya SE will be similar to Arya V2. It didnt happen.......

IMO, the Arya SE isnt a memorable headphone as it does not excel in any technical sound category.
If I wanted a headphone with a smaller soundstage - I would choose the OG Focal Clears > Arya SE.

Some have stated the drivers of the He1000 series and Arya V2 are the same or (Arya v2 is using B stock).
Some have stated it's a side grade and some said it's a noticeable improvement.

I prioritize soundstage (width, height, separation, positional imaging and depth (3D effect) over the other technical sound aspects (of course I want the other sound aspects to be good or above average as well).
Headphones that prioritize super high resolution / very analytical / detailed and dynamics aren't my ideal sound signature.

If the Hekv2 has a better soundstage than Arya V2, I would consider that an end-game sound signature for me.

So I am eager to find out.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #10,284 of 14,805
I'm looking forward to buy a he1000! Which one would you guys recommend, v1, v2 or se?

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #10,285 of 14,805
I'm looking forward to buy a he1000! Which one would you guys recommend, v1, v2 or se?
I’ve never listened to v1. Owned a v2 for about a year and a half, eventually got a chance to pick up a pair of SEs. After listening to both are a while, I preferred the SE. I know there is there are those who disagree.

To me, the increased efficiency was the biggest difference. Personally I hear a little more bass from SE vs v2, but not a lot more, and definitely not enough to justify a trade-up.

I did find the SE to be a bit 'fuller' in the mids though, and to me that was the most significant SQ/signature difference.

Here's a post where I summarized my experience comparing v2 and SE

Honestly, given the discount on v2 available now, it would be hard to justify the v2 vs SE price difference unless it’s a situation where you just don’t have an adequate chain to drive the v2, but your chain would work with the SE.

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #10,286 of 14,805
I’ve never listened to v1. Owned a v2 for about a year and a half, eventually got a chance to pick up a pair of SEs. After listening to both are a while, I preferred the SE. I know there is there are those who disagree.

To me, the increased efficiency was the biggest difference. Personally I hear a little more bass from SE vs v2, but not a lot more, and definitely not enough to justify a trade-up.

I did find the SE to be a bit 'fuller' in the mids though, and to me that was the most significant SQ/signature difference.

Here's a post where I summarized my experience comparing v2 and SE

Honestly, given the discount on v2 available now, it would be hard to justify the v2 vs SE price difference unless it’s a situation where you just don’t have an adequate chain to drive the v2, but your chain would work with the SE.
Many thanks for the advice!

Just browsed through the comparison, do you think bass of the SE is different from v2 in quantity only or there's even difference in layer and depth?

Aug 18, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #10,287 of 14,805
Many thanks for the advice!

Just browsed through the comparison, do you think bass of the SE is different from v2 in quantity only or there's even difference in layer and depth?
Small difference -- just a bit more sub-bass. Tones are there on both, but sub-bass is a bit more forceful from SE.

Really, the 'fuller' mids is significantly more noticeable difference. On a lot of tracks I heard the bass as essentially the same.

I guess that the tl;dr would be: SE signature is slightly tweaked from v2, with SE being significantly more efficient, playing much better from my DAPs.

My A/B was over 2 years ago, so you should refer to my posts at that time vs my fading recollection of the comparison.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #10,288 of 14,805
Small difference -- just a bit more sub-bass. Tones are there on both, but sub-bass is a bit more forceful from SE.

Really, the 'fuller' mids is significantly more noticeable difference. On a lot of tracks I heard the bass as essentially the same.

I guess that the tl;dr would be: SE signature is slightly tweaked from v2, with SE being significantly more efficient, playing much better from my DAPs.

My A/B was over 2 years ago, so you should refer to my posts at that time vs my fading recollection of the comparison.
What about the soundstage difference of the HekV2 vs SE?

Some have stated that the Stealth Magnets also shrank the soundstage in the He1000s series just like the Arya series.
Like the Arya SE, the trade-off was a smaller soundstage for higher resolution / details, closer mids, bass and more power efficiency.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #10,289 of 14,805
What about the soundstage difference of the HekV2 vs SE?

Some have stated that the Stealth Magnets also shrank the soundstage in the He1000s series just like the Arya series.
Like the Arya SE, the trade-off was a smaller soundstage for higher resolution / details, closer mids, bass and more power efficiency.
I would say slightly less vast. I would guess that it's more about the tonality changes in the mids than something inherent in the drivers, but that's just my ears. Didn't seem like a big change, and I still prefer HEK for classical which is the one genre where my preference for a big and precise stage becomes a requirement.

Aside: my first planars were HE-560s which are quite V-shaped and have a very open airy headstage. When I swapped ZMF perforated Universe Suede pads, it reduced the V-ness, and that seemed to also reduce the size of the stage. Same drivers, different pads which affected tonality, and also staging.

JMHO of course.

Aug 18, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #10,290 of 14,805
I recently acquired a HE 1000 V2. I am feeding it with a Singxer SA-1. While I don't have any complains, I can't help but wondering if stepping up to a more powerful class A like the Soloist 3XP or a THX-888 like the SMSL SP400 have any noticeable improvement on the overall sound quality. I appreciate your opinion or experience in this. Thanks!
I am from the school of thought that if the amp has enough power to get any headphones to 65-90db. Then the amp is good enough.
The Singxer Sa1 on balance input/output can do 32 ohms: 6480mw (Class AB power) which technically is more than enough power (to at least 90db) for a headphone with 35ohm and 90 sensitivity. Class A power mode is 32ohm: 1000mw.

Singxer cost ~600usd and to upgrade to a Violectric 281 which outputs significantly more voltage (priced used at ~1700+usd), doesnt make sense to me value-wise.
Subjective I doubt the quality of sound produced from a 2k amp is 'significantly' better than a $600 amp if both can push a headphone to 90db sound level.
Yes, I recognize there is a sound signature difference between, tube, solid state and class A amps.

I rather spend that extra money on a higher-tier headphones. The headphone is the most significant change in the audio chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back