Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 4, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #10,261 of 14,805
Hay guys,

I had a chance to listen to the HE1000v2 for a whole month and it was a great experience that I want to share it here.

https://imgur.com/a/8vyXlYl
Very airy and smooth in the treble. The treble is a little bit forward, not harsh but boarder line. No sibilance ! Very impressive.

Huge soundstage that feels just natural unlike the hd800s which feels unnatural

It has the ability to get very big when the song calls for it and becomes intimate when the song calls for it. Feels like an orchestra in a grand way. The soundstage is more 3d than Arya which feels less 3d.

Bass is very textured! You can hear details in the bass you never heard before. Very will extended bass. You can also feel the bass rumble on your cheeks! Very impressive. Bass never overwhelm the track, very controlled and enjoyable.

Midrange is very sweet and lush and warm! Not recessed, excellent timber, everything sounds like how it supposed to sound. crystal clear. Very close though but not as close as hd600 but definitely closer than Arya.

The most impressive instrument separation I have ever heard!
Very forgiving for bad recording, not like the Arya and hd800s which are punishing.
Electronic music are just amazing on the he1000 like daft punk (get lucky) and most their other songs. orchestra and classic music also are amazing. But the hd800s series takes the classic music one step further.

Vocal centric music not the greatest but it’s ok, hd600 serious much better performance there, more intimate.

Pop songs are amazing, all king of pop songs just amazing! Especially smooth criminal! The most impressive song I heard on the he1000 v2, it shows all it’s technicality and speed handling. Metal songs like (Through the fire and flames) are very very impressive on he1000 and it was able to keep up with every note without lacking behind in anything with great bass speed and decay.

Over all it’s an improvement over Arya in everything, soundstage and imaging are identical in my opinion.

mid range is much better on the he1000, the Arya feels very recessed, and also the clarity is slightly better on he1000.

Treble is very smooth, much smoother than Arya and it has no sibilance, some time it hits but very rarely compared to Arya and hd800s.

Bass is amazing, one of the best bass I have heard or felt, and it extends very well, a little bit better than Arya.

Very laid back like the Arya, you can just listen for many hours without fatigue, even more than the Arya.
Over all it’s an excellent headphone and highly recommended.
Agree with all of this. I will say that the one negative you mentioned, vocals, improved (to my ears) when I traded to the HEKse. To my ears, HEKv2 are 'thinner' while HEKse are a bit fuller in the mids.

Here's something I posted soon after receiving HEKse, while I still had, and could directly compare, v2 w/ SE -- see the 'Spoiler'.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #10,262 of 14,805
Agree with all of this. I will say that the one negative you mentioned, vocals, improved (to my ears) when I traded to the HEKse. To my ears, HEKv2 are 'thinner' while HEKse are a bit fuller in the mids.

Here's something I posted soon after receiving HEKse, while I still had, and could directly compare, v2 w/ SE -- see the 'Spoiler'.
I heard the Arya v2 and the SE version and didn’t like how the stage got smaller, and I own the susvara and I like everything about that headphone but noticed that the stage is not as spacious as the he1000v2 so I got the impression that any stealth magnet iteration will not give me the huge orchestral stage. So I’m a little hesitant when it comes to trying the he1000 se. I hope I get across it one day but I don’t think I’m gonna look for it actively. But you got me curious about that vocal performance !

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #10,263 of 14,805
I heard the Arya v2 and the SE version and didn’t like how the stage got smaller, and I own the susvara and I like everything about that headphone but noticed that the stage is not as spacious as the he1000v2 so I got the impression that any stealth magnet iteration will not give me the huge orchestral stage. So I’m a little hesitant when it comes to trying the he1000 se. I hope I get across it one day but I don’t think I’m gonna look for it actively. But you got me curious about that vocal performance !
Note what I said in the comparison -- several relatively small improvements to my ears.

Also, I would say the fuller mids tend to reduce the huge/airy/spacious headstage I heard from v2. Although, from

mScaler ==> TT2 ==> DSHA-3F (amorphous core transformers) ==> HEKse

I certainly don't feel like the headstage is lacking.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #10,264 of 14,805
Note what I said in the comparison -- several relatively small improvements to my ears.

Also, I would say the fuller mids tend to reduce the huge/airy/spacious headstage I heard from v2. Although, from

mScaler ==> TT2 ==> DSHA-3F (amorphous core transformers) ==> HEKse

I certainly don't feel like the headstage is lacking.
Any improvement is certainly appreciated! Hope to try the SE version one day

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #10,265 of 14,805
I still have my HE1000 V1, even after listening to V2 & SE I had never wanted to upgrade as am pretty happy with V1. It's great with Rockna WL DAC and Flux FA-10 Amp. I found V2 thinner as well like many reviewers say, bit more dynamic, faster, Bass is adequate but felt slightly lesser compared to V1. SE is the most capable of the three but still my love with V1 never diminished so retained H1. If you guys get an used H1 for a good price then it may be worthwhile to audition them, however I have to warn you that many V1s had quality issues so dont blind buy.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #10,266 of 14,805
I still have my HE1000 V1, even after listening to V2 & SE I had never wanted to upgrade as am pretty happy with V1. It's great with Rockna WL DAC and Flux FA-10 Amp. I found V2 thinner as well like many reviewers say, bit more dynamic, faster, Bass is adequate but felt slightly lesser compared to V1. SE is the most capable of the three but still my love with V1 never diminished so retained H1. If you guys get an used H1 for a good price then it may be worthwhile to audition them, however I have to warn you that many V1s had quality issues so dont blind buy.
yah I bet hifiman came a long way in regards to QC from the V1 time to today. Thanks for letting us know !

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #10,268 of 14,805
I recently acquired a HE 1000 V2. I am feeding it with a Singxer SA-1. While I don't have any complains, I can't help but wondering if stepping up to a more powerful class A like the Soloist 3XP or a THX-888 like the SMSL SP400 have any noticeable improvement on the overall sound quality. I appreciate your opinion or experience in this. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #10,269 of 14,805
I recently acquired a HE 1000 V2. I am feeding it with a Singxer SA-1. While I don't have any complains, I can't help but wondering if stepping up to a more powerful class A like the Soloist 3XP or a THX-888 like the SMSL SP400 have any noticeable improvement on the overall sound quality. I appreciate your opinion or experience in this. Thanks!
I have heard the singxer but not with the hek, it’s a great amp but with some headphone I find it’s gain is low. Do you feel like you have enough volume and enough headroom?

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #10,270 of 14,805
I have heard the singxer but not with the hek, it’s a great amp but with some headphone I find it’s gain is low. Do you feel like you have enough volume and enough headroom?
The singxer has enough volume and headroom. Reason I asked is that this amp is generally thought to be weaker in bass slam. I am not a bass head, but I am curious to see what you think with the more powerful amps.

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #10,271 of 14,805
The singxer has enough volume and headroom. Reason I asked is that this amp is generally thought to be weaker in bass slam. I am not a bass head, but I am curious to see what you think with the more powerful amps.
At the time of my listening I tried the headphone on Magnius and also on the v280 FE and found very little difference with the he1000 v2 which actually shocked me as most high end headphone would be very demanding and very picky. So I think you are fine but again I’m no HE1000 expert.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #10,272 of 14,805
Singxer is really powerful, but many mistaken it because of non-linear volume control. Singxer's pot at 12 o'clock still very low in power, the reason Singxer doing this is to accommodate IEM user (or some very sensitive headphone) to have some room to move the knob.

SMSL THX-888 (any of them) will produce even weaker slam than Singxer. Burson is the answer if you want some punches (and GSX Mini as well).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #10,274 of 14,805

I use Ukranian Flux acoustics FA-10 Class A amp, an used one will be like $600. Pairs very well with HE1K and worth every penny, it covers resolution, slams, dynamics et.al well. Do not let this lower price deceive one as it sounds as good as any premium amp. One amp you want to avoid HE1K is Simaudio Moon Neo 430 HAD, it is wonderful amp with Utopia, Abyss, Mezzes but sounds mushy only with HE1K for some reason. In THX amps I used HE1K with THX 789, it is okay'ish and you will notice it's short comings though

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #10,275 of 14,805
I use Ukranian Flux acoustics FA-10 Class A amp, an used one will be like $600. Pairs very well with HE1K and worth every penny, it covers resolution, slams, dynamics et.al well. Do not let this lower price deceive one as it sounds as good as any premium amp. One amp you want to avoid HE1K is Simaudio Moon Neo 430 HAD, it is wonderful amp with Utopia, Abyss, Mezzes but sounds mushy only with HE1K for some reason. In THX amps I used HE1K with THX 789, it is okay'ish and you will notice it's short comings though
I read a lot of positives for FA-10. I just couldn't find it anymore, at least not from the retailers that I am comfortable with. Will see.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back