Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 18, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #10,231 of 14,653
Curious about your opinion regarding the 1266Phi vs HEKse. I am a sound stage aficionado and in fact found the Utopia to be much more open with tube amps. I agree about the HEKse and wondered if the Susvara, even when properly amped can sound as open as the HEKse.
I think the 1266Phi has wider and deeper soundstage compared to the HEKse but for me it was a headphone of two halves. Best bass possible and good treble but sadly remote mids in a word or two…lack of cohesiveness.
I could get a good and secure fit with it but it still felt precarious like a balancing act.
HEKse just has got the tonality and fit I prefer and I am also tired of chasing that elusive *best headphone*.
Utopia I did like a lot but needed to finance other projects.

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #10,232 of 14,653
I think the 1266Phi has wider and deeper soundstage compared to the HEKse but for me it was a headphone of two halves. Best bass possible and good treble but sadly remote mids in a word or two…lack of cohesiveness.
I could get a good and secure fit with it but it still felt precarious like a balancing act.
HEKse just has got the tonality and fit I prefer and I am also tired of chasing that elusive *best headphone*.
Utopia I did like a lot but needed to finance other projects.
You summed up well on 1266 Phi, I still like 1266 Phi even with issues like dip in the mids. In the path to decide between HE1000 SE Vs 1266 Phi as my next buy, with no meet up these days, tough time for hobbyists like us.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #10,233 of 14,653
Hi guys..

Just trying out if anyone is interested:

i probably have the perfect headphone amp on sale since this week for planars: a blue circle audio PaG (230v euro version)...audiolovers will know how special this brand is 😀
Search for the full name here on headfi.org for more info about the amp...its trully special in how it sounds. Initially Built and created to drive the original INFAMOUS hard to drive HE6.
only selling it because i now jumped on the speaker amp wagon/ adapter for my he1000 v1 and soon a susvara.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #10,234 of 14,653
Hello, has anyone tried the HEK V2 with The Burson Soloist 3xp? I'm curious to know if it is a good pairing.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #10,235 of 14,653
Hi guys I have an issue with my HEKv1
I have had them in my garage most of the year, today I have sold them but when I have listened to them today the left earcup is definitely quieter than the right one. It is very noticeable. It is not my amp or anything as the other HPs I have are working fine.
Anyone had similar issues? Could it be the cold?? I am doubtful thus would cause this......any advice really appreciated.

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #10,236 of 14,653
Hi guys I have an issue with my HEKv1
I have had them in my garage most of the year, today I have sold them but when I have listened to them today the left earcup is definitely quieter than the right one. It is very noticeable. It is not my amp or anything as the other HPs I have are working fine.
Anyone had similar issues? Could it be the cold?? I am doubtful thus would cause this......any advice really appreciated.
could be the cable?maybe not inserted all the way through.or something? u.might wana use other cable to test.

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #10,237 of 14,653
could be the cable?maybe not inserted all the way through.or something? u.might wana use other cable to test.
Well it is all very strange as now its fine again. I left music playing for an hour and then went back to listening and it was and still is working fine. Baffling!

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #10,239 of 14,653
make sure you test it fully before sending to the buyer to save you the headaches.
I will not be selling them now , not until I know they are OK.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #10,241 of 14,653
So I have this thing for years and last I upgraded from v1 to v2 years ago. Was there a further upgrade that I missed? I want more bass.
Yes, there is an update offer from V2 to SE(stealth edition). The drivers have been changed to the stealth magnet version. I just sent in mine for an upgrade recently, it is on its way.

Not sure about better bass, from what I have read here and heard in the auditions the details have improved, the bass was on par with V2 if not better, I can only tell when I get mine. Maybe those who already have it can shed more light. I went for the improved details, I was happy with the bass on the V2.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #10,242 of 14,653
... Maybe those who already have it can shed more light ...
To me, the increased efficiency was the biggest difference. Personally I hear a little more bass from SE vs v2, but not a lot more, and definitely not enough to justify a trade-up.

I did find the SE to be a bit 'fuller' in the mids though, and to me that was the most significant SQ/signature difference.

Here's a post where I summarized my experience comparing v2 and SE

Includes some links to previous posts w/ my early impressions. Hope some of this helps.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #10,243 of 14,653
I am considering several different cables for my HE-1000 se phones. I‘m sure what are the correct plugs/jacks connetting to the two drivers side. I also want ensure that later I could use the phones for both single ended 1/4 and XLR balanced at the source (amplifier) side. I’ve seen a spec that seen is dual 3.5mm TRS, what does TRS mean? Thanks any help here.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #10,244 of 14,653
I am considering several different cables for my HE-1000 se phones. I‘m sure what are the correct plugs/jacks connetting to the two drivers side. I also want ensure that later I could use the phones for both single ended 1/4 and XLR balanced at the source (amplifier) side. I’ve seen a spec that seen is dual 3.5mm TRS, what does TRS mean? Thanks any help here.

The letters TRS stand for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve, and refer to the parts of the jack plug for the different connectors.

I would strongly recommend Forza Audio Cables as they are well built and reasonably priced. Use them for both my HEKse and ZMF VO. Matt the owner is very responsive to any questions. Personally I really like the Noir Hybrid HPC.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #10,245 of 14,653
You summed up well on 1266 Phi, I still like 1266 Phi even with issues like dip in the mids. In the path to decide between HE1000 SE Vs 1266 Phi as my next buy, with no meet up these days, tough time for hobbyists like us.
Do most people going from HEKse to Susvara sell their HEKse or does the HEKse still offer something that Susvara doesn’t have other than the ability to use direct from DAVE without an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back