Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #9,571 of 14,653
I am using Lavricable 8 cores without sleeves for the HE1000. There is no problem of microphonic. I think it is only a problem of IEM, not really for headphones. And I assume you won't go to the gym with the HE1000.....
Didn't A/B tested between the stock cable vs Lavricable, as the stock cable looks so cheap with only 2 core for the XLR, I almost instantly chuck it in the bin after my Lavricable arrives. Didn't bother to listen to it anymore.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,572 of 14,653
I have had the hexv2 and now the hekv2 othe great phones but the hek is much more detailed and has a much deeper sound stage
I use the mojo as a pass through dac and the jot is my amp
Any suggestions on a better but not killer expensive pair

I assume you refer to the Schiit jot. The Jot is already a ”new“ generation Schiit amp that gives great power for planar and slam for the bass. You may want to add a Schiit multibit dac for your pairing, such as bifrost multibit. You will have a great schiit stack.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,574 of 14,653
Yes, greater detail and more layers, with good dymanics. I also have the Black Dragons and they dramatically change the sound. Not necessarily in a good way. I only use dragons when the sound is really bright.
The he1000 scales hugely when you use better and better gear..amps..dacs..cables...powersupplies..sources (NAS/ streamin stuff)...isolation devices...filtering stuff...this headphone reacts on every change in ur rig..its incredible!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #9,575 of 14,653
The he1000 scales hugely when you use better and better gear..amps..dacs..cables...powersupplies..sources (NAS/ streamin stuff)...isolation devices...filtering stuff...this headphone reacts on every change in ur rig..its incredible!

I'll agree on this point. I use a WOO WA5-LE and a Violectric V281 with a Brooklyn DAC. I use a PS Audio Power Plant P5 with Nordost and PS Audio AC12 Power cables along with silver interconnects and I'm never disappointed when I do an upgrade. Whenever I think the sound is already end of the line I always get a surprise. For The better, of course.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9,576 of 14,653
I am looking for a cable upgrade for use with BOTH my HEK V2 and Focal Utopias. Don't want separate cables and hate the length and weight of the stock Focal cable and the stickyness and springiness of the stock HIFIMAN cable. I want to keep cost just under 1K if possible. Interested to hear what others have tried for both headphones.

So far heard good reviews for:
DanaCables Lazuli Reference but not sure adapter available to fit both.

Norne Audio Sliverguard S2 8 wire
The latter can be configured to accommodate both headphones with an adapter cord. Heard good things about Norne.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #9,577 of 14,653
I use Norne Zoetic on my HEK v2, like it a lot. I have used the Danacable for HE 560 and HEK. sounded a little better, but twice as expensive and a bit stiffer and heavier. Haven't had much experience with the Utopia, just at shows (I wound up staying with the Norne... They are also very attractive).

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #9,578 of 14,653
I am looking for a cable upgrade for use with BOTH my HEK V2 and Focal Utopias. Don't want separate cables and hate the length and weight of the stock Focal cable and the stickyness and springiness of the stock HIFIMAN cable. I want to keep cost just under 1K if possible. Interested to hear what others have tried for both headphones.

So far heard good reviews for:
DanaCables Lazuli Reference but not sure adapter available to fit both.

Norne Audio Sliverguard S2 8 wire
The latter can be configured to accommodate both headphones with an adapter cord. Heard good things about Norne.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My only experience with cables with adapters for multiple disparate headphones has been with Moon-Audio Dragons. Drew is currently making me a Utopia LEMO adapter for my Black Dragons so that I can use the same cable that I use for my HE1000 V2"s. Drew uses a mini XLR adapter. I don't see why most custom cable companies could't do this. I don't think that it affects the signal path in any meaningful way. I know that not everyone likes Silver and Black Dragons but some people do swear by them.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #9,579 of 14,653
My only experience with cables with adapters for multiple disparate headphones has been with Moon-Audio Dragons. Drew is currently making me a Utopia LEMO adapter for my Black Dragons so that I can use the same cable that I use for my HE1000 V2"s. Drew uses a mini XLR adapter. I don't see why most custom cable companies could't do this. I don't think that it affects the signal path in any meaningful way. I know that not everyone likes Silver and Black Dragons but some people do swear by them.

I never say no to such requests as the job is perfectly doable. It takes some additional time, but is doable nonetheless.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #9,580 of 14,653
I have been playing around with under $1k amplifiers for my he 1000 V2. Tough headphone to make happy. I have an Audeze Deckard, Schiit Jotunheim, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Rupert Neves RNHP, Chord Mojo, VorzAMP Duo II; PS Audio Directstream and Nuforce Dac 80 stream music through A&K 320 or Antipodes DX. While the Jot has good power I rank it at the bottom of this group followed by the Audeze with the He1k, both have power but takes the headphone nowhere in terms of resolving power, tonality soundstage etc., the Cavalli and VorzAMP are very good but for my money the Rupert Neves amp is difficult to beat. Tons of headroom, clean power, highly resolving. Like all good things needs to break in. To my ears plays way over its price point. If you have not heard of Rupert he’s been at it a long time. For a portable rig the A&K 320 to Mojo to VorzAmp is stellar. My to pennies worth...

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #9,581 of 14,653
I have been playing around with under $1k amplifiers for my he 1000 V2. Tough headphone to make happy. I have an Audeze Deckard, Schiit Jotunheim, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Rupert Neves RNHP, Chord Mojo, VorzAMP Duo II; PS Audio Directstream and Nuforce Dac 80 stream music through A&K 320 or Antipodes DX. While the Jot has good power I rank it at the bottom of this group followed by the Audeze with the He1k, both have power but takes the headphone nowhere in terms of resolving power, tonality soundstage etc., the Cavalli and VorzAMP are very good but for my money the Rupert Neves amp is difficult to beat. Tons of headroom, clean power, highly resolving. Like all good things needs to break in. To my ears plays way over its price point. If you have not heard of Rupert he’s been at it a long time. For a portable rig the A&K 320 to Mojo to VorzAmp is stellar. My to pennies worth...

Interesting. I find them fairly easy to drive. To my ears, they’re just slightly harder to drive than my 800S. But easier than the he560, he500, and he6.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #9,582 of 14,653
We’re talking about two different things, I’m not talking about efficiency or loudness, I’m referring to all the good things these phones are capable of. :).

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #9,584 of 14,653
Try the moon neo 430had, this one makes the best of my HE1000V2, mojo is muddy in comparison.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,585 of 14,653
I did really nice unit, but well over the cost of the $1000 threshold, the Rupert holds its own for $500, in terms of ultra low distortion, speed, musicality and perceived nuance. If you can, try a broken in unit, I’m really impressed with both the Vorz and the Rupert. Never heard the Mojo sound muddy, I only use the DAC section though...
I’m going to try two tube units and a new silver/gold headphone cable by Verastarr in the next couple of weeks. Judging by his other Cables should be stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back