Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #8,813 of 14,653
Jan 6, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #8,816 of 14,653
Jan 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #8,817 of 14,653
A couple of days back, my UK dealer told me that my HEK V2's were now ready and could I pay up please. 
I can imagine his inner reaction when I told him "Just hang on a minute - I first need to see how this new planar flagship pans out".

Anyway, I completed the HEK V2 payment this morning - much to dealer's relief.

I think some of the negative reaction to the Edition 6 is premature. Although this is my first Hifiman ownership, the brand has always struck me as high SQ performance per $ (compared to other high end brands. Build quality is a different matter). For example I rated the HEK V2 above the Utopia irrespective of price. So if the Edition 6 maintains that differentiation, then I'll be considering it in a year's time - when V2 or V3 comes out. And if it does not maintain that differentiation, then I don't have to worry about it.

I have to say though that Hifiman's management of this announcement has been very poor - and that has contributed to the negative reaction as much as the pricing..  

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #8,819 of 14,653
A couple of days back, my UK dealer told me that my HEK V2's were now ready and could I pay up please. 
I can imagine his inner reaction when I told him "Just hang on a minute - I first need to see how this new planar flagship pans out".

Anyway, I completed the HEK V2 payment this morning - much to dealer's relief.

I had a similar tale. I was just about to buy HEK V2 when I heard about the Edition 6. Bought the HEK V2 this afternoon. If Edition 6 is good, maybe trade up next year. In the meantime, I shall enjoy my HEK V2...

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #8,820 of 14,653

I wonder if the new E6 will require a speaker amp like the HE6 basically (if unofficially) did.
That was always the deal-breaker with the HE6 for a lot of people.

If you squint at the Twitter pic it appears to say 84dB - I think someone confirmed that(?).
That's very similar the HE6, so a decent amp would definitely be required.

For those willing to spend $6K on a headphone, a speaker amp would be no obstacle - and cheaper than the uber priced HP amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back