Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 16, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #7,667 of 14,805
I have a Eddie Curent 445 which drive the HE1000 very well since It Is quite powerfull and very detailed while still offering the warm of tubed. And....it Is for sale if you are interested (see my sig)

I',m now using the eddie current BA and its the same feeling! amazing amps!

With a pair of KR PX4 tubes, I find the ECBA struggled to open up the sound of the HE1000. Which output tubes were you using?

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #7,671 of 14,805
Man, you guys are hardcore, and here I am with just a primary Oppo HA-1 with a secondary Gustard X12/H10 stack for some SS goodness. Maybe that's why I'd subconsciously decided on SS amps......tube rolling can be quite hard on the wallet.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #7,672 of 14,805
  Man, you guys are hardcore, and here I am with just a primary Oppo HA-1 with a secondary Gustard X12/H10 stack for some SS goodness. Maybe that's why I'd subconsciously decided on SS amps......tube rolling can be quite hard on the wallet.

it can be. but then again i am personally always wondering what all the fuss is about them SS amps are. I do find that Tube amps with the HEK are often over looked but goodness they are something special, just extremely hard to pair from the few i have owned.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #7,673 of 14,805
I'm a bit of a broken record, but I use the MicroZOTL2, it is tubed, but I used the stock tubes for a year and was fine with the sound (of course, the tube rolling bug hit at that time, and I like the NOS tubes better, but you DON'T HAVE to tube roll; in fact, I don't think that was intended when it was developed). There is also a power supply that can be upgraded, it comes with a switching supply, LTA makes a reasonable LPS, Mojo Audio (and many others...I've heard the Mojo) costs more, upgrades it more, and, again, I was fine for a year with the stock (then, again, the upgraditis bug hit...)

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,674 of 14,805
Well as far as tube amps, I have a ZanaDeux that I bought with my Grado GS1000 and was happy until I heard the HE 1000. I was told that the Zana Deux is impotent for driving the HEK. I also have the WOO Wa7 and that can't drive it either (I was told). Now I have to buy another amp for a 3k headphone purchase? After all the praise of the MacIntosh MHA 100, I am smitten and will need to save up for it but can't wait on the HE 1000 purchase after falling for them at the Long Island meet. There is no showroom in New York City where I can compare various amp pairings with the HE 1000, very frustrating. What about the AUDEZE Deckard vs OPPO HA1 vs MicroZOTL 2.0 or anything else that will come close to the king above for under 2K?? Will the MicroZOTL 2.0 be powerful enough? I briefly heard this combo at the meet and needed to turn up the volume knob to nearly 90% on some recordings. Had the same problem with my portable rig using the Cypher labs Theorem 720. Love that little Amer/DAC for travel but just isn't nearly powerful enough to drive the HE 1000 to their potential and don't think there is another reasonably priced portable (not transportable) DAC/amp for the iPod that will work.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #7,676 of 14,805
I briefly heard this combo at the meet and needed to turn up the volume knob to nearly 90% on some recordings.

Ouch!

Was there perhaps something else happening? Something wrong with that setup? I frequently hover around 9-o'clock with my MicroZOTL2 and HE-1000 headphones.

But beyond volume, I like that the MZ2 plays well on a variety of headphones. I have started to refuse picky amplifiers. If the amplifier cannot play HD800S, HE1K, and PS1000e, I do not buy that amplifier. You should not need to seek a separate amplifier for your Grado headphones.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #7,678 of 14,805
Well as far as tube amps, I have a ZanaDeux that I bought with my Grado GS1000 and was happy until I heard the HE 1000. I was told that the Zana Deux is impotent for driving the HEK. I also have the WOO Wa7 and that can't drive it either (I was told). Now I have to buy another amp for a 3k headphone purchase? After all the praise of the MacIntosh MHA 100, I am smitten and will need to save up for it but can't wait on the HE 1000 purchase after falling for them at the Long Island meet. There is no showroom in New York City where I can compare various amp pairings with the HE 1000, very frustrating. What about the AUDEZE Deckard vs OPPO HA1 vs MicroZOTL 2.0 or anything else that will come close to the king above for under 2K?? Will the MicroZOTL 2.0 be powerful enough? I briefly heard this combo at the meet and needed to turn up the volume knob to nearly 90% on some recordings. Had the same problem with my portable rig using the Cypher labs Theorem 720. Love that little Amer/DAC for travel but just isn't nearly powerful enough to drive the HE 1000 to their potential and don't think there is another reasonably priced portable (not transportable) DAC/amp for the iPod that will work.

I believe that was my ZOTL at the LI meet...I'm not sure what happened, some problem with my tubes (I rolled some new ones) or the source (the Mojo LPS I was using stopped working when I got home, maybe it was already giving some sort of problem at the time). I'm listening to it now, if the volume is any higher than 10 O Clock, it would be painful. 9-10 is generally where the volume stays (and I'm 63 years old...my hearing is likely worse than you younger ones out there).
You're never going to be able to compare everything in 1 place, doesn't exist. Some companies allow you a home audition for a number of weeks (I know LTA who sell the ZOTL do this, others as well).
Stereo Exchange in Manhattan has the McIntosh, I heard it there, it is really nice sounding (but expensive), and they weren't set up to compare to other amps that day (and wouldn't be able to compare it to the ZOTL anyway, they don't carry it). I'm not affiliated with Linear Tube Audio in any way; I did review the ZOTL, and I have that connection that owners of gear they live have, they tend to think their stuff is the best, whether they are Honda owners or DAC owners, but I love the ZOTL. You can certainly check the ZOTL thread, there are many happy HEK owners that post there. But, hey, I'm sure you can find something that floats your boat, I don't really think the HEK is THAT difficult to drive, not like, say, the HE-6 (but it is revealing of what is upstream). This happens with all audio gear...if I want to compare, say, a Krell and Naim amp, I may have a very hard time finding a dealer that has both. My only other thought is, if you're in the NY/NJ area, and you know folks with some of the gear you want to compare, you could set up a mini meet/shootout. I don't mind my house in Central NJ on a Sunday I'm free, could be fun. (listening to The Band epononymous album, about 9 O Clock, ZOTL/HEK, sounding GREAT!)
OK, gotta go walk the dog in this 90 degree heat....

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7,679 of 14,805
What about the AURALiC TAURUS MKII??
Got good reviews? Will it pair well with the HE1000?

(as audio buddy got a ZOTL and sold his Taurus, just sayn'...)

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #7,680 of 14,805
I have my ZOTL2 volume at no more than the 10 o'clock position and it is PLENTY loud enough for me at that level with my HEK's. I think something must have been wrong with the ZOTL2/HEK combo you heard at that meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back