Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #5,026 of 14,653
HEK certainly beats my LCD-3 usually high end source. When using mediocre source gear from head-fi brands such as Schitt or iRiver, the difference is not that big. Once I hook it up to my US$20,000 player originally used for my speaker system, it becomes abundantly clear that HEK wipes the floor with LCD-3 and is simply the best headphone next to my SR009, hands down.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #5,027 of 14,653
  I think I would rate them as HEK>Abyss>LCD3F>HD800.

Very interesting...

beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #5,028 of 14,653
  HEK certainly beats my LCD-3 usually high end source. When using mediocre source gear from head-fi brands such as Schitt or iRiver, the difference is not that big. Once I hook it up to my US$20,000 player originally used for my speaker system, it becomes abundantly clear that HEK wipes the floor with LCD-3 and is simply the best headphone next to my SR009, hands down.

Why not just name the name of the player, instead of telling us how much it cost?  Was there a point in that?

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #5,029 of 14,653
Perhaps it was obscure or a custom job?

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #5,031 of 14,653
  Just me.

Not just you :wink: we're several people to share the same impressions. I returned it as well. I've no real use of a 3000$ headphone that smoothen everything even when the recording does not need that treatment. I compared abyss, he-6 ,sr009 and hd800 to the he1000. Even if I can understand how and why the he1000 could please to a lot of people, I strongly disagree that it outperforms the listed flagships. Even with gazillon hours of break in or miracle amps. YMMV.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #5,033 of 14,653
Yea. What's interesting with the he1000 is that it has its own appeal. It's not appealing me and I don't think it's a 3000$ appeal but it's not at all a bad headphone. It's one more flagship amongst some others. Maybe it will be the favorite for some people. Maybe not for other people. That's all.

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #5,036 of 14,653
Not just you
wink.gif
we're several people to share the same impressions. I returned it as well. I've no real use of a 3000$ headphone that smoothen everything even when the recording does not need that treatment. I compared abyss, he-6 ,sr009 and hd800 to the he1000. Even if I can understand how and why the he1000 could please to a lot of people, I strongly disagree that it outperforms the listed flagships. Even with gazillon hours of break in or miracle amps. YMMV.

I agree with you Sorrodje
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #5,040 of 14,653

I will definitely audition the HE1000, as I'm interested in it from a technical perspective (large membrane area, ultra-lightweight membrane, special magnet array) and the reports – and that's why I'm active in this thread.

As mentioned, all headphones suffer more of less from inner reflections, and e.g. the HD 800 is no exception – therefore my mod which has been adapted and now runs under the trademark «Anaxilus». Magnet bars behind and in most cases also in front of the membrane are a necessary evil in planar magnetic drivers, as are stator grids in electrostatic drivers – and both produce reflections of somewhat different characteristics. Even classic dynamic drivers produce various kinds of unavoidable reflections, and be it just those between membrane and ear in the ideal case (which doesn't exist, though). All those reflections are probably not perceived as such because they're unavoidable and present in every single headphone, so everyone is used to them. But the orthodynamic headphones I have experience with suffered from the most obtrusive kind to my ears, threfore my skepticism, although actually it has always been a favored transducer principle for me.

The ideal would be a ribbon-like transducer without any magnet bars directly in the radiation area (Setmenu has built a headphone on the basis of homegrown ribbon transducers). My own hobbyist occupation with speaker building has led me to this kind of transducer as well. It can effectively be called virtually free of reflections, if you take classic speaker designs as a measure. Also with classic dome tweeters (also homegrown) and cone woofers I have always taken care for minimal reflections on housings and driver components, internally and externally. And of course with my electrostats on the basis of Stax Lambda Pro and Signature Pro. So I know what I'm talking about and what the absense of obtrusive reflections means for depth of image and imaging generally – we're talking of accuracy here, a signal reproduction as unsmeared as possible in the time domain.

I see, thanks for the resourceful post. I can't say reflections are a concern for me currently in any way, unless they're poorly handled or veer into audible artifacts. Not interested if it's assumed only a few people can somehow hear the difference. I'm interested in what you think of the HE-1000 when you try it for yourself. I'll check out whatever Hifiman does next around $1K with this tech, as US$3000 is no chance in hell for me. I'll listen to it when I can but my expectations will be stratospheric, for reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back