Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,411 of 14,673
  It works with the AK240 and the Hugo

I tired them with my AK240. Yes, they do work but I had to maxed out the volume to achieve a semi-decent sound level. IMO they are not even close to their potential directly out of the AK240.

I am really enjoying them out of my McIntosh MHA100
atsmile.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,412 of 14,673
  I tired them with my AK240. Yes, they do work but I had to maxed out the volume to achieve a semi-decent sound level. IMO they are not even close to their potential directly out of the AK240.

I am really enjoying them out of my McIntosh MHA100
atsmile.gif

attach an amp the ak240 like the Hugo or the ALO Continental

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,413 of 14,673
I have a Microzotl amp coming that should be here tomorrow. I have followed what David Berning has done for many years and he has always been at the forefront of the thought process into tubes. I also have some very fine tubes waiting after the burn-in for tube rolling. It should be an interesting comparison to my Richard Marsh DIY amp, which is excellent but not tube. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,414 of 14,673
I have a Microzotl amp coming that should be here tomorrow. I have followed what David Berning has done for many years and he has always been at the forefront of the thought process into tubes. I also have some very fine tubes waiting after the burn-in for tube rolling. It should be an interesting comparison to my Richard Marsh DIY amp, which is excellent but not tube. 
\

I'm busy burning my MicroZOTL and my HEK, about 5 days now...doesn't look like it is made for tube rolling, but I could be mistaken. Doesn't it use tubes generally used for preamps and lower power needing applications? Of course, that would describe a headphone amp, I suppose. Curious what you come up with in changing them. I have some at home as well, less inclined to roll (more of a plug and play kinda guy), but I'm open to suggestions.
Been so busy at work, only had time for little 5 minute listening sessions while the burn in was going on, hopefully have a bit of time later to have a good listen.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #4,415 of 14,673
It was not meant to be sarcastic. Lol. Normally with my beard, I don't really care what people think. But wearing those cans at the store made me feel very out of place.

A pic would be appreciated buddy..............

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,416 of 14,673
\

I'm busy burning my MicroZOTL and my HEK, about 5 days now...doesn't look like it is made for tube rolling, but I could be mistaken. Doesn't it use tubes generally used for preamps and lower power needing applications? Of course, that would describe a headphone amp, I suppose. Curious what you come up with in changing them. I have some at home as well, less inclined to roll (more of a plug and play kinda guy), but I'm open to suggestions.
Been so busy at work, only had time for little 5 minute listening sessions while the burn in was going on, hopefully have a bit of time later to have a good listen.

It uses two 12AT7 and two 6SN7 tubes. Very rollable and many choices. Very easy to change tubes and create the sound just right for you. I will burn it in with the stock tubes and then try some nice rare 6202 sylvania gold pin and some nice 1952 Sylvania 6SN7's. Both NOS and I have other varieties to try out. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,417 of 14,673
\

It uses two 12AT7 and two 6SN7 tubes. Very rollable and many choices. Very easy to change tubes and create the sound just right for you. I will burn it in with the stock tubes and then try some nice rare 6202 sylvania gold pin and some nice 1952 Sylvania 6SN7's. Both NOS and I have other varieties to try out. 

OK, been a solid state guy all my audiophile career, curious to hear about your tube rolling adventures. I did get a tube DA converter but I don't use it because it doesn't play nicely with my preamp (Peachtree Grandpre). The Peachtree actually also has a tube output that is selectable, but it isn't really in the circuit since it is switchable on or off, so I think of it basically as a tone control and don't play with it much.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,418 of 14,673
OK, been a solid state guy all my audiophile career, curious to hear about your tube rolling adventures. I did get a tube DA converter but I don't use it because it doesn't play nicely with my preamp (Peachtree Grandpre). The Peachtree actually also has a tube output that is selectable, but it isn't really in the circuit since it is switchable on or off, so I think of it basically as a tone control and don't play with it much.

Some use a tube for tone control and that is a waste and not the way to use a tube. I have built tube equipment and used tubes for many years. A tube piece done right is superb but many are just thrown together. I use both solid state and tube equipment. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,420 of 14,673
Jun 17, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #4,421 of 14,673
  I can confirm that the GS-X Mk2 with the HE1000s is a magical and sublime pairing....I can't take these headphones off my head!

Looking forward to doing a 3 person review with Frank and Aaron...should be fun!!!

MacedonianHero you like a lot the Stax SR007 right ?

What did you think about the comparison with the HE1K ?

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,422 of 14,673

Well done my friend!  I actually think they look better than I expected - that "flying bridge" squarish metal thing had me turned off big time when viewed on the headphone just sitting on the table like most pics have been. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #4,425 of 14,673
Beard must help tame the high frequencies some :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back