Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,608 of 14,799
If what you said wasn't a joke, then you should know that the diaphragms in electrostatic headphones weigh less than the air around them, and there is no risk of them getting shred up. You have nothing to worry about. (Not that it's directly related to planar magnetic headphones, but here is an article about how electrostats work.)

I somehow managed to tear the diaphragm of Stax Lambda Signatures back in the 90s, only one channel and I don't listen that loud, I guess it was just a chance failure. However Nano thickness diaphragms is a worry regarding failure but materials like graphene are really strong so hopefully its not going to be an issue. I also think Abyss level pricing is out of the question.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,611 of 14,799
or plug them into your home cinema when jurassic park is on

That reminds me of my Jurassic World thread. (I told ya I post in lots of threads!
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,613 of 14,799
As for pricing, as popular as headphones are, super expensive headphones I would think are simply statement pieces and not likely to bring a company to profitability. I wonder about Abyss, they must have very small scale production and I wonder if they actually make much money when it is all said and done? The real profitable operations need scale of economy throughout their lineup so for sure without the HE-400 and HE-500, HFM likely would not have had the money to really push the R&D for the HE-6 and the HE-560 (I know there were other items in the lineup). That suggests that the 1000 isn't for them something they expect to make profit, more of a signature piece that will provide R&D trickle down that will arrive in their true profitable offerings so for sure there are some new models on the way. The HE 1000 will be for those who have enormous disposable income (which I certainly lack) or those who are willing to take on a bunch of debt or sell all kinds of gear to obtain them.

The real value will be for the next model that is meant to replace the HE-6, that will benefit from HE-1000 trickle down technology and be affordable as it will have scale of economy factors. For those of you lucky enough to afford (or willing to be in debt enough) to have the 1000, I am truly envious as it sounds like it is going to be quite special, but I will have to wait for a model under $2000 myself. The Yggy will likely be my next investment as the 560 is pretty amazing in it's own right.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,615 of 14,799
  As for pricing, as popular as headphones are, super expensive headphones I would think are simply statement pieces and not likely to bring a company to profitability. I wonder about Abyss, they must have very small scale production and I wonder if they actually make much money when it is all said and done? The real profitable operations need scale of economy throughout their lineup so for sure without the HE-400 and HE-500, HFM likely would not have had the money to really push the R&D for the HE-6 and the HE-560 (I know there were other items in the lineup). That suggests that the 1000 isn't for them something they expect to make profit, more of a signature piece that will provide R&D trickle down that will arrive in their true profitable offerings so for sure there are some new models on the way. The HE 1000 will be for those who have enormous disposable income (which I certainly lack) or those who are willing to take on a bunch of debt or sell all kinds of gear to obtain them.

The real value will be for the next model that is meant to replace the HE-6, that will benefit from HE-1000 trickle down technology and be affordable as it will have scale of economy factors. For those of you lucky enough to afford (or willing to be in debt enough) to have the 1000, I am truly envious as it sounds like it is going to be quite special, but I will have to wait for a model under $2000 myself. The Yggy will likely be my next investment as the 560 is pretty amazing in it's own right.

Good point! Totally agree.
I am surprised that some people (reviewers and columnist) keeping saying that HifiMan has coped from others. Maybe the HE1000 is the response to those people and Fang wants to prove that they can do better than their competitors.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,616 of 14,799
I am using a Moon Silver Dragon this morning on the HE1000 swapped from the Oppo PM-1 sound is pristine. I been reading with interest what the price point will be on the HE100O. This is One of the very best headphones I have heard. That being said what do you folks  all think Fang should price this at.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,618 of 14,799
I am using a Moon Silver Dragon this morning on the HE1000 swapped from the Oppo PM-1 sound is pristine. I been reading with interest what the price point will be on the HE100O. This is One of the very best headphones I have heard. That being said what do you folks  all think Fang should price this at.

if the price was set at $2.5k as posted by one of the dealers, i wld buy it as soon as it was released. if any higher, i wld have to wait til the price drops down to abt that level. i can easily see it being priced much higher, but then it is extremely difficult to pull the trigger on something so expensive without universally positively outstandingly stellar reviews & i still think interested buyer wld be wise to wait to see how the build quality holds up given hifiman's track record.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,619 of 14,799
  Price strategy-wise I'd suggest a threshold of $1750 US ( slightly + or slightly - ).

if the price was set at $2.5k as posted by one of the dealers, i wld buy it as soon as it was released. if any higher, i wld have to wait til the price drops down to abt that level. i can easily see it being priced much higher, but then it is extremely difficult to pull the trigger on something so expensive without universally positively outstandingly stellar reviews & i still think interested buyer wld be wise to wait to see how the build quality holds up given hifiman's track recorinteresting 

Interesting keep them coming so Fang gets a good sampling.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,620 of 14,799
Something we can afford! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back