Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #631 of 14,653
Honestly, all headphones are marked-up probably at least 30-50% if not more. Pricing is usually simply a way to place the pair of headphones into a certain "class" and to establish which other headphones they will be competing with.

The Audeze EL-8 is aiming for the extreme high-end of the mid-fi category. So $700 sets it above the usual premium $300-$400 mid-fi products. $700 is cheaper than the usual TOTL $1k products. That is the niche this product will be in.

The HE1000 is aiming for being a value-TOTL flagship. Hence, we are looking at a price above $1k. Depending on which TOTL headphones Hifiman decides the HE1000 will be competing against will determine its final pricing. If the price is set at $2.5k, Hifiman believes that their headphones will out-perform the LCD-3s enough that the increase price will still be seen as a bargain. If set any higher, the HE1K will be competing against the more exotic headphones like the Abyss or Stax.

omg! If the he-1000 are priced like the Abyss (most expensive headphones in the world) then only a small number of people will even consider them I guess.

When I first read the cost of the Abyss, I nearly died :eek:

When I first read the cost of the el8's I nearly smiled :)

I hope the he-1000 are not crazy priced though!!

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #632 of 14,653
  Honestly, all headphones are marked-up probably at least 30-50% if not more. Pricing is usually simply a way to place the pair of headphones into a certain "class" and to establish which other headphones they will be competing with.

The Audeze EL-8 is aiming for the extreme high-end of the mid-fi category. So $700 sets it above the usual premium $300-$400 mid-fi products. $700 is cheaper than the usual TOTL $1k products. That is the niche this product will be in.

The HE1000 is aiming for being a value-TOTL flagship. Hence, we are looking at a price above $1k. Depending on which TOTL headphones Hifiman decides the HE1000 will be competing against will determine its final pricing. If the price is set at $2.5k, Hifiman believes that their headphones will out-perform the LCD-3s enough that the increase price will still be seen as a bargain. If set any higher, the HE1K will be competing against the more exotic headphones like the Abyss or Stax.

LCD-3 were always very close in performance to the Stax apparently, Some people like MacedonianHero suggested that if I like LCD-3 that I could get better performance out of Stax but still reviews do say that it's very close.

I'm thinking because of the very thin diaphragm and it being hifiman who know their stuff, it would be very competitive in the uber high-end headphones (I bet it would be able to compete with Stax SR-009)

I wouldn't mind paying 2500-3000 (tops) but more than that, I'd really have to hear the set before getting.

/me thinks 2500 price would be absolutely right for such a product to be both competitive and still retain large profits.

Now if they will only come out with the pricing details soon because that would help me decide if I get Ragnarok or the Combo...
I'm getting very close to getting an upgrade for amp (Have to finish paying off Vega lol, yeah I'm not rich... yet...)

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #633 of 14,653
LCD-3 were always very close in performance to the Stax apparently, Some people like MacedonianHero suggested that if I like LCD-3 that I could get better performance out of Stax but still reviews do say that it's very close.

I'm thinking because of the very thin diaphragm and it being hifiman who know their stuff, it would be very competitive in the uber high-end headphones (I bet it would go be able to compete with Stax SR-009)

I wouldn't mind paying 2500-3000 (tops) but more than that, I'd really have to hear the set before getting.

/me thinks 2500 price would be absolutely right for such a product to be both competitive and still retain large profits.

Now if they will only come out with the pricing details soon because that would help me decide if I get Ragnarok or the Combo...
I'm getting very close to getting an upgrade for amp (Have to finish paying off Vega lol, yeah I'm not rich... yet...)

Have you heard the Abyss AB-1266?

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #634 of 14,653

Yeah I know who Jude is.  I didn't join Head-Fi yesterday.  When was the last time he wasn't positive about a new product in one of his reviews?  He owns the site, so it really doesn't behoove him to trash a new product now does it?...

In response to this, here's a portion of a post I made recently. (The whole post can be read by clicking here.)

These comments assume that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. As anyone who's visited my office can confirm, more headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos, or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about (on posts or video)...

Again, the post can be read in its entirety by clicking here.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #635 of 14,653
Have you heard the Abyss AB-1266?

No, but I think they are really ugly at least the size of them and how you look like when you wear them, I do like the concept of magnetic pads which eliminate a really big problem with the LCD-3 that I have however it also adds more weight...

I've heard that the Abyss have really nice bass with some of the  higher cost amps but that's not enough for me to part with that amount of money, I'd rather go SR-009 than that...

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #636 of 14,653
No, but I think they are really ugly at least the size of them and how you look like when you wear them, I do like the concept of magnetic pads which eliminate a really big problem with the LCD-3 that I have however it also adds more weight...

I've heard that the Abyss have really nice bass with some of the  higher cost amps but that's not enough for me to part with that amount of money, I'd rather go SR-009 than that...

I've not heard them either but I am intrigued to compare them with my hd800's.

Same for the sr009's too I guess but from reviews I've read to date suggest they have poor bass compared to the Abyss.

Maybe the HE1000 can offer something in the middle of the latter two but I just hope this trend of uber high pricing for TOTL headphones doesn't continue.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #637 of 14,653
I've not heard them either but I am intrigued to compare them with my hd800's.

Same for the sr009's too I guess but from reviews I've read to date suggest they have poor bass compared to the Abyss.

Maybe the HE1000 can offer something in the middle of the latter two but I just hope this trend of uber high pricing for TOTL headphones doesn't continue.

lol unfortunately, i think its only going to get worse. if you look at the medicore offerings out there with extremely high prices, companies are going to realize how much more they can charge for the truly good stuff.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #638 of 14,653
lol unfortunately, i think its only going to get worse. if you look at the medicore offerings out there with extremely high prices, companies are going to realize how much more they can charge for the truly good stuff.

I guess :frowning2:

Maybe we shouldn't encourage the manufacturers to charge so much though?

Maybe I'm naive to audiophile world though :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #639 of 14,653

Such as?

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #641 of 14,653
Oppo is a bargain

IMO

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #643 of 14,653

Such as?

no reason to get into an argument over what I personally think is overpriced, but I think it's safe to say that everyone has heard something that is definitely overpriced gear for its sonics while exploring this hobby.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #644 of 14,653
^ true dat.

Just go look at the thread dedicated to most overrated headphones. Pretty sure almost everything is listed there.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #645 of 14,653

In response to this, here's a portion of a post I made recently. (The whole post can be read by clicking here.)

Originally Posted by jude 

These comments assume that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. As anyone who's visited my office can confirm, more headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos, or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about (on posts or video)...

Again, the post can be read in its entirety by clicking here.

Makes sense, if you are going to spend time on a video or in text, why spend it on something that you don't enjoy or believe sounds good. Spend it on what can help people make decisions on what does sound good and may be worth investing in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back