HIFIMAN HE-R10 Closed-Back Headphones Discussion & Impressions
Dec 29, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #766 of 1,218
I was thinking, did Hifiman originally take the patent ideas from Yamaha Orthos and the classic Hifiman HE series came about? There must have been differences from the Yamaha orthos right? I've heard due to the Yamaha ortho patents expiring he was able to put out planar headphones. Is that true?

I'm curious how similar the classic Hifiman orthos were to Yamaha's design.

Could it be the same here with the R10? Is it similar situation with the R10? Due to the patent expiring? Did he take the design ideas from the Sony patent?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #767 of 1,218
I was thinking, did Hifiman originally take the patent ideas from Yamaha Orthos and the classic Hifiman HE series came about? There must have been differences from the Yamaha orthos right? I've heard due to the Yamaha ortho patents expiring he was able to put out planar headphones. Is that true?

I'm curious how similar the classic Hifiman orthos were to Yamaha's design.

Could it be the same here with the R10? Is it similar situation with the R10? Due to the patent expiring? Did he take the design ideas from the Sony patent?

All HFM has done was taking the design of the wooden cups of R10, and they did not hide it. It is a questionable decision, and I would prefer that it wasn't, but these guys are developing maybe the best planar drivers in the market and HPs with the most unique design. I am saying this as someone that never bought a single HFM product. Also their players like the R2R2000 and HM1000 are both very unique products.

https://headphone.guru/hifimans-he1000-part-1-of-3-introduction-to-hifiman/

Let's not exaggerate an odd cup design decision - which HFM didn't need to do at all.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #769 of 1,218
I've posted my review here on Head-Fi, in case anyone is interested: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hi...ic-headphones.24795/reviews#item-review-25151

Summing it up: build quality is terrible for the price, comfort is terrible as well (they're quite heavy and the headband is not ideal), the signature has some tonal issues. On the positive side, though, imaging is absolutely terrific, bass is the closest I've found to an open-back in a closed-back package, and resolution is up there with the best. I think this is really a Marmite kind of headphone ("love it or hate it"), so the debate on them will probably be quite polarised - on top of all the discussion about the design, of course.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #772 of 1,218
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #773 of 1,218
Guess it's my turn.
20210306_112050.jpg

Early impressions:

Silky smooth treble
Texture is the highlight
Bass is on point.
Imagining is great.
Resolution is modern.
No grain and no oddity.
Build is comfortable.
It is not dry or airy. More thick and warm.
This is a mid forward headphone.
A very soft sound thats great for bad recordings.

I am really enjoying the thick juicy texture. It's a full bodied warm/dark headphone to me. The resolution is very clean and accurate.

There is no slam. It's because it's very soft with high resolution. I detect no oops and slam in your face but a more relaxing tonal balance signature.

My early impressions are always final impressions 😜 let's see what happens...

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #774 of 1,218
I'm a big fan of their new wires and the new removable velcro earpads.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #776 of 1,218
20210306_183146.jpg

20210306_183208_HDR.jpg
I'll be the first to admit I've a pretty heavy bias again'st Hifiman... after owning and LOVING my HE 4, HE 400, HM 601/602/801/901 I found a vast trove of their more recent products deeply disappointing. Starting with the HE-X which suffered from both atrocious build quality and a lack of acknowledgment... most recently JADE II proved to be a mess

That said, with as much negativity as I've seen directed at the HE R10 Dynamic I figured I HAD to give it a listen. With my pitch fork and torch in hand I approached what I thought would be yet another disaster from HiFiMan... and quite frankly I was shocked at what I heard!

Mind you these are simply just my first impressions but I'm deeply enjoying these. Now I'll mention that with the astonishingly linear response of my Bricasti M3H's fully differential balanced headphone out HE R10D is a bit... boomy and almost compressed. This amp is my very favorite solid state implementation, easily one of the best I've ever heard and it drives all of my Planar Magnetic headphones beautifully! Dynamic drivers tho... don't always respond as well to solid state amps

So my first few hours with HE R10D were ok! I compared it to ZMF Atticus Camphor with Eikon Suede Pads, my own Ether CX and a Focal Radiance... and it was ok! Smooth mid range, sparkly top end but the bass was a bit boomy and it felt a little boxed in... so I said let me feed Single Ended line out from my M3... still running direct stream ofc but let's see how the little modded SET Tube Amp does... and to my surprise HE R10D opened up! The amp itself is a APPJ pa1502A with Soviet Era Power Tubes and a 100%/100% vintage NOS 1940's Sylvania JAN-CHS-12SL7 VT-289 [White Label] and it sounds remarkably close to it's 1940 white label 6sn7 cousin. So gorgeous texture, weight and tonality with a noticeably "bass light" presentation.

The bass took a BIG step back, less forward but just as weighty with beautiful texture and that smooth mid-range picked up some richness and presence. The staging gained some need width and precision to compliment it's tall deep qualities, overall I feel with HE R10D having a well implemented/voiced tube is the best way to enjoy it. Yes the low end is still rolled off after about 40hrz but I find it to be gorgeously natural and open sounding! Shout out to HeadAmp @HeadAmpTeam for the demo!

IMG_20210307_011639.jpg
IMG_20210307_012434.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_012141.jpg
    IMG_20210307_012141.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #777 of 1,218
@Mshenay

In comparison:

The R10P has a small soundstage. With clear and accurate Imagining. The sound is soft with no upper sparkle and is smooth throughout. The R10P is very relaxing tonal balance headphone. Listening to it for 6hrs yesterday with perfect comfort, zero distortion and no treble peaks.

For a closed back headphone it's a good modern closed back headphone. This is probably my conclusion.
20210307_080537.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #780 of 1,218
I have only one q.

Do these headphones sound like the SONY R-10?

How similar and how different?

If they are very similar, I want them. If they are not, I don't.
No they don't.
At least that's what I read. I neither heard them nor the sonys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back