Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
Mar 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #376 of 410
You don't need a "high-end" speaker rig to power the HE-6 to have it sound best that's just a common misconception on these boards, just a well designed headphone amp with high peak to peak voltage output or a synergistic speaker amp. 

I would agree with this if you said good or even very good rather than best. I think better equipment sounds better on the he-6. But you can be quite fine with a decent amp with enough current.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #377 of 410
  You don't need a "high-end" speaker rig to power the HE-6 to have it sound best that's just a common misconception on these boards, just a well designed headphone amp with high peak to peak voltage output or a synergistic speaker amp. 

Name 3.. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #378 of 410
I would agree with this if you said good or even very good rather than best. I think better equipment sounds better on the he-6. But you can be quite fine with a decent amp with enough current.

No such thing as best exists. You can spend the rest of your lifetime playing with source/amplification combinations and you would not find one that would be "perfect or best". The number of possible solutions is just to great.

Name 3.. 
biggrin.gif

Besides 1 of them being a complete 845 diy amplifier my local builder was experimenting with, according to KG the KSA balanced is a good  pair with the HE6. The third is supposedly the Dark Star.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #379 of 410

Besides 1 of them being a complete 845 diy amplifier my local builder was experimenting with, according to KG the KSA balanced is a good  pair with the HE6. The third is supposedly the Dark Star.

OOOO  you went DIY on me...  OK might as well add the Dynahi to that list and subtract the Dark Star .  
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #380 of 410
OOOO  you went DIY on me...  OK might as well add the Dynahi to that list and subtract the Dark Star .  :tongue_smile:

The Audio GD Master 9 is better than the DarkStar for driving the HE6. Much better. I owned both and still own the M9.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #381 of 410
OOOO  you went DIY on me...  OK might as well add the Dynahi to that list and subtract the Dark Star .  :tongue_smile:

Agree, subtract the DarkStar.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #382 of 410

+1

The Darkstar is not a normal headphone amp at all, so you can't really hold it up as an example to support the argument that the HE-6 can be driven well from regular headphone amps. Same goes for the DIY amp too really.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #383 of 410

+1

The Darkstar is not a normal headphone amp at all, so you can't really hold it up as an example to support the argument that the HE-6 can be driven well from regular headphone amps. Same goes for the DIY amp too really.

That means Darkstar synergy with HE-6 is not good?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #384 of 410
Apr 2, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #385 of 410
That means Darkstar synergy with HE-6 is not good?

I wasn't making any statement about the pairing, only to point out that the Darkstar is a special case and I don't think it can realistically be held up as an example of a regular headphone amp in terms of powering the 6.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #387 of 410
I think the reality is that the M9, as well as the M6/M8, are just far superior amps when compared to the DS.

Take away the expensive casework of the DS and build the M9 in US or EU and prices would be nearly reversed, which would be a better reflection on their respective abilities.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #389 of 410
How were headphones played before the advent of "headphone amps"?

About a couple dollars worth of resistors to drop the attenuation off the main speaker amp to a TRRS 1/4" connector.

Then guys started DIYing amps with just enough juice to run IEMs. Then came the full sized "headphone amp".

Speaker amps have and will continue to be used for headphones as a value to the hobbyist. Today's headphone amp industry are moving their power back into speaker amp range with pretty cabinets and leds and selling them for $thousands of dollars. Reality is they are just speaker amps packaged for the new suckers customers. Head Fi supports this as they are making a living off it. But as long as this is a hobbyist forum, they have to deal with the truth.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #390 of 410

The reality the listener runs into is that with the possible exception of the Apex Pinnacle, no pre amp section of a headphone amp can compare with a dedicated high-end pre amp. Obviously, pre-amps are designed to be used in conjunction with a power amp and since the HE-6 sounds best when plugged into the speaker outputs of a power amp my original statement stands.

Few speaker amps are equipped with a volume control. Those that are must have a pre-amp section which brings us back to square one.

The quality of sound reproduction will always be limited by the weakest link in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back