Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
May 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 410

Jdevesa

Head-Fier
Hello, I am considering buying either the Audeze LCD-3 or the HIFIMAN HE-6 (I already have the HE-500 and love the sound). 

Considering I get an amp that can properly drive the HE-6 (such as the EF-6) which one would be the better headphone regarding details and bass impact?

May 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 410
May 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 410
Both are fantastic headphones! I owned both at the same time for several months, but I STILL own the LCD-3s.
wink_face.gif

May 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 410
Thanks for the responses, so what are the main differences in sound between the two? Ive read that a properly amped HE-6 sounds very good and detailed. 

What Amp / DAC are you using for the LCD-3?

Regarding the HE-500 I am selling those on eBay :)

May 21, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 410
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, so what are the main differences in sound between the two? Ive read that a properly amped HE-6 sounds very good and detailed. 

What Amp / DAC are you using for the LCD-3?

Regarding the HE-500 I am selling those on eBay :)

A HE-6 driven well (like from a RSA Darkstar) is a fabulous headphone with gobs of detail, nice tonality that works well with most music and is just enjoyable. However, the LCD-3s from a similarly good amp are imo just more engaging, drawing you into the music. I find the LCD-3s do transients, layering and prat better as well as have a more realistic midrange and that is what makes them better to me. I'm currently using a Woo WA-5 and Littledot Mk6+ for amps and a NAD M51 DAC.

May 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 410
I like the HE-6, but the amp situation is more challenging than the LCD-3.  I think most standard headphone amps which would work well with the LCD-3 would struggle with the HE-6, so the HE-6 may not be a good solution for people who don't want to change their system.  I wonder how many negative impressions of the HE-6 are due to inadequate amping.

May 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 410
For details, HE-6 is slightly better. For bass impact, LCD-3 is moderately better. If you listen to mostly rock and such, I'd go LCD-3. If you listen to mostly classical, I'd go HE-6.

I kept the LCD-3 and sold the HE-6 because I got tired of chasing proper amping for the HE-6. If you've determined to purchase at least the EF-6 with your cans, then it's a pretty even split. Don't beat yourself up about it, you can't go wrong.

May 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 410
HE-6s are my go-to metal/hard rock cans, plus they're very nice for classical and strings. I rotate between them and my STAX SR-007s a lot, and that's rather high praise for the HE-6s. However, they aren't the best for pop, hip-hop, or dubstep. Their bass is very flat and neutral and will often sound a bit too lean with those styles.

BUT, they EQ extremely well, being so flat and neutral, and you can easily mimic other stats out there. I found that out when I was fiddling around, and they did so well that I decided not to get a set of LCD-2s. All that aside, though, they need juice. I run mine off a Cary SLI-80 F1 with an HE-adapter and it's a match made in heaven... but that's a rather sizable investment. Other more reasonable options are the EF-6 from HiFiMan or the Schiit LYR, either will easily drive the HE-6. Heck, even my EF-5 does a decent job, but it doesn't extract every last ounce you can get from these great cans.

May 21, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 410
If you love the HE-500; the LCD-3 will suit your taste beter than the HE-6 - is my guess (having all 3 headphones).

The only drawback with the LCD-3, is that the vocal presentation is more "distant" than the HE-500.

May 22, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 410
Hello, I ordered the HIFIMAN EF6 and the Little Dot MK VI+ to try the HE 6 in balanced mode.

I will be using a Nuforce Icon HDP DAC which I don't think has fully balanced output so depeding on how much I like the sound of the amps I may need to upgrade the DAC too.

I am tempted to get both headphones and see how it goes.

May 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 410
If you have the funds to do it, having both will settle the nagging regret of not getting the other. As others have mentioned, amping for the HE-6 is not an easy task. They are more of a speaker than a headphone for power demands.

May 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 410
Well, the EF6 should have enough power for both. I'm also interested to hear the differences in SQ and sound signature of both headphones and amps plus my DAC (Nuforce Icon HDP).

Regarding finish, the LCD-3 seems to be more luxurious though Im not really into wood (but prefer it to plastic). I also have the Ultrasone Edition 8 Limited (Ruthenium) and though the SQ is not comparable the finish is impeccable.

May 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 410
Quote:
Hello, I am considering buying either the Audeze LCD-3 or the HIFIMAN HE-6 (I already have the HE-500 and love the sound). 

Considering I get an amp that can properly drive the HE-6 (such as the EF-6) which one would be the better headphone regarding details and bass impact?

100% LCD-3
HE-6 is bright, sibilant and bassless :p

ooops.. just see that you ordered the HE-6... Good Luck!

May 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 410
My HE-6 is definitely not bright, sibilant, or bassless. It has excellent bass, maybe the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back